Strange Weather construction blog

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I've got the same issue Re: the hose feed running through where I'm going to build my studio. I'm going to steal your solution. Thanks for the idea. One less problem to solve, a million to go.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Tell me about it. I'm just about through this madness. If you've ever got any questions I'd be glad to let you know how I'm handling them. I can't take too much credit for the ideas, but I've gotten the chance to accumulate a lot of them from very smart people.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm back, and we're open :)

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 pm

wow man. that place looks gorgeous. I'm in the process of building out my garage into a much more modest little studio, but I've gleaned a lot of great tips and ideas from your studio build blog. thanks for posting all the details and sharing.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 am

DAAAAAAYYYYYYYYUUUUUMMMMMM!!!!!!! Wow, that's fucking amazing looking! Happy to see you survived!!!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 am

Looks amazing.

Quick question for Marc, and really anyone of the Brooklyn gang that all built amazing new studios (Bunker dudes, Joel, Marc) in the last couple years:

The wall of 703 absorption with wooden slats added to taste seems like a new standard in studio walls. It makes a lot of sense that you could get things much more linear down in the lows and low mids with consistent absorption calculated for depth, or space away from the solid wall behind it....

I guess what I wonder is if you add more slats (not really like the new Strange Weather's control room which seems to be set for minimum reflections) does it turn out to sound just as 'live' as the more old school solid wooden/sheet rock wall?

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks guys :) It's like heaven getting to work here. Still totally unbelievable to me.

To answer your question about the slats: it depends on the design, but no it shouldn't be exactly the same. Some frequencies will pass right through the slats and get absorbed by the 703 behind them. I've found that overall you can get a really nice, even balance in the midrange with a tad bit of life in the high end, but it's never going to be as live as plain old drywall, even if you covered it with plain old drywall.

The walls in our control room are three inches deep. The pattern changes for each layer, so in some spots it's three inches of wood, in some it's three inches of fiberglass, in some it's an inch of fiberglass in front of two inches of wood, etc. The fiberglass density changes from place to place as well. The pattern is based on a mathematical algorithm, and is an attempt to balance the whole spectrum evenly. To my ears it seems to be doing a pretty damn good job. Wes really killed it.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

That sounds like the way to do it; it takes a lot of math to get an even sounding room.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:49 pm

looks amazing. you must be super psyched. congrats!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Place looks really fantastic.
Congratulations to you!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks guys! Seriously, come by and check it out if you're around.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

amazing!!!

Post by supafuzz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

I cant wait to see it in person.......it looks like a dream...
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Marc, are there any parts of the plans that you could share without stepping on your architect/designer's toes? I'm interested in wall cross-sections of that slat on insulation on drywall[?] more than room shape, etc. I mean I'm interested in the overall design, academically, but I can't really do what you did and I have a real need to figure out exactly how I'm gonna build my walls. And what materials went into the walls, exactly.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey Marc, can you comment on the super-nice gobo's near the piano on the tacking room? did you build those? if, so do you have a material list and some basics. I'm planning on building some for my one room set up and would live some tips.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Sweet!
Harumph!