Strange Weather construction blog

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:04 pm

I've always heard NYC's DoB is a ponderous vacuum of Draconian bylaws, but my God. Just let them build something! It's no wonder so many people try and fly under the radar with unpermitted, hacked up jobs. Hold your head high. You are legit. Way to stick it out and add some value to the 'hood.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I can't believe you're complaining about the weather.

Consider it god's advertisement for your studio.

"Strange weather lately."

"Yeah, you should record there."
Ha. Yeah, it hasn't been so much strange as it is frustrating :) but things are moving along again.

We kind of got forced into dealing with the DoB when I decided to go for a commercial space rather than an industrial one. I know a number of other studio builds flying by the seat of their pants who are just planning to eat the fines after the work is done. And to be honest I wish I could have done the same.

In the long term I think I'll be happier with the commercial location. The block we're on is amazing, and seems to only be getting more so. I just can't wait to start working there.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 pm

New blog up at Sonic Scoop.com: http://bit.ly/qnFIfW

Also tons more pictures on the photoblog as always. http://strangeweatherbrooklyn.blogspot.com

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Now we're starting to build a studio :) and not just save a building.

Here're some pics of the control room floor. We ran 4" pvc piping underneath to run all the cabling through. The machine room will be in the front on the left, that's why so many pipes terminate there. The wooden box is the trough for underneath the console.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:36 pm

And we have a control room :)

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Nice! Great to see the room is really coming along. The design is fantastic. Let me know when you have speakers in there. We should hang out and listen to stuff.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:45 am

There's a new blog entry over on http://sonicscoop.com about the control room build. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/tIvUF5

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Marc, I'm moving back there this spring, or earlier. I hope to get enough work and moolah to book some time in your prestigious facility. I have not read the other pages of this thread, as I imagine they are full of naysayers as usual and I don't want to be brought down. It looks stellar!
Whatever you do, never move to a part of the country where the cost of living is lower thinking you can put one together there and be OK. It's cheaper because there ain't crap happnin.
I have a huge barn, friends, family, and ran out of money fighting crime and no work, now I have a barn and a huge project studio in my living room.
If I had to live my life over, I would never have left NYC. So, I'm moving back with the best things to happen to me outside the city, my family. I can't wait to see your place.
Harumph!

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:37 pm

are those soffits happening in that framing? what're your bigs gonna be, if so?
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Brian wrote:Marc, I'm moving back there this spring, or earlier. I hope to get enough work and moolah to book some time in your prestigious facility. I have not read the other pages of this thread, as I imagine they are full of naysayers as usual and I don't want to be brought down. It looks stellar!
Whatever you do, never move to a part of the country where the cost of living is lower thinking you can put one together there and be OK. It's cheaper because there ain't crap happnin.
I have a huge barn, friends, family, and ran out of money fighting crime and no work, now I have a barn and a huge project studio in my living room.
If I had to live my life over, I would never have left NYC. So, I'm moving back with the best things to happen to me outside the city, my family. I can't wait to see your place.
Hey Brian! Yeah, I tried that with Philadelphia years ago and ended right back here in Brooklyn. But it was a good experience. I'm glad to hear you're doing alright! Be sure to look us up when you get back to town.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm

iC wrote:are those soffits happening in that framing? what're your bigs gonna be, if so?
Yep. Dynaudio M3As. Personally I had never heard a Dynaudio speaker I liked, but then I went down to visit Charleston Sound in SC. Wes really likes the idea of building the room to suit the speakers, and it's a pair he certainly knows how to work with. I've never heard anything like that room. But hopefully I will soon :)

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:39 am

Will do and I'll see you in spring or sooner.
Harumph!

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Go Marc Go!!!
Blah!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:22 pm

Ha. Thanks dude. Finally getting some pluming inspection details worked out. Hopefully we'll be back to work later this week. But who the hell knows in this town...

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:58 pm

yeah, I am in the beginning stages of searching for a new location and your posts have been inspiring!
Blah!