Square State EQ test drive - under way! Post thoughts here!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Square State EQ test drive - under way! Post thoughts here!

Post by The Scum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

The silence from the peanut gallery has been deafening - my business partner tells me I may have been a little covert in announcing this yesterday. So with Joel's green light, I'm reposting here:

In order to get our EQ in front of more working engineers, Square State Solid State are sending one of our units on a tour of the continental US. We'll be selecting TOMB members, booking an itinerary, and giving a number of folks a chance to demo in the privacy and comfort of their own studios. To keep the logistics simple, we're limiting this to the contiguous 48 states. If the tour is successful, we'll consider other locales in the near future.
As I keep saying, watch this space.

Here?s how it works:

1) Email the following info to tour10@squarestatesolidstate.com:
your TOMB username,
your given name,
e-mail,
mailing address,
studio info
2) We?ll select the recipients and arrange the EQ?s travel itinerary (we?re thinking geographically here, trying to keep it quick and cheap while in transit). Up to 10 studios/engineers will be selected.
3) We want you to test drive the EQ for 5 days and go hog wild with it! On day 6, you agree to place it back in its packaging and forward on to the next recipient via UPS or FedEx ground service. Shipping is on you and must include $500 insurance.
4) You agree to post your findings, thoughts, musings, etc. on this TapeOp forum thread.
5) Everyone that participates gets a couple of free Square State Solid State stickers and our love.
6) If you send us at least two minutes of raw video footage of you using the model one b (in the studio folks, and keep it PG), and a signed copy of our video release, you?ll receive a Square State Solid State t-shirt. Think of it like the traveling garden gnome, only with an EQ, and video instead of postcards.
7) Upon fulfillment of a posted review, we?ll send you a discount code to be used at ZenPro Audio for 5% off the purchase of the model one b.
8 ) A few words about the Honor System. We?re counting on you folks to spend as much quality time as possible with the EQ and definitely run it through its sonic paces. That being said, don?t use it to hammer nails or throw at the drummer. And please make sure that it gets to the next destination in a timely manner.

I've got an EQ in a box here, ready to leave as soon as tomorrow (well, probably Monday at this point), so be sure to sign up early!

Those selected will hear from us via email with proposed dates and more detailed terms & conditions. If you get this email, be sure to respond to confirm your position. Once the itinerary is confirmed, we'll post it here.
Last edited by The Scum on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:36 pm

It is a great idea and a really cool EQ.
People need to seize the opportunity to try this thing out.
Thanks for posting this , Joe, and it is really cool that you are offering this to the TapeOp community.
I had my turn with the this eq TWICE already....
Time for someone else to have some fun...

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Just a quick post-weekend bump. We've still got plenty of open slots.

So if you saw this over the weekend, and thought, "Oh, I'll do that Monday," and then totally spaced it, now's your chance!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

This is a cool idea. Email incoming!

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

OK. Here's the tentative list, in an east-to-west running order:

1 Dakota
2 Drumsound
3 Subatomic Pieces
4 Rhyrhm Ranch
5 Recording Engineer
6 noeqplease (ironic that he's asking for an EQ, eh?)
7 G-reg

Thanks for taking interest in the tour - you'll each be getting the T&C email shortly. Please respond when you get it.

We've also still got a couple of open slots, anyone in maybe Ohio or Arizona want to sign up?

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:28 am

Wow, how cool!!
email sent!
Blah!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 am

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the opportunity! :^:

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Quick update & revised running order:

1 Dakota
2 Weatherbox
3 Evilaudio
4 Drumsound
5 Subatomic Pieces
6 Rhyrhm Ranch
7 Recording Engineer
8 noeqplease
9 G-reg

We had a couple of last-minute queries that I just added. At this point, I think we're considering the roster full.

Big thanks to everyone who signed up! The unit ships this afternoon. Dakota, you'll probably see it early next week.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm

This should be really fun.

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 am

I, for one, am really super-psyched!!
Blah!

*cisko*
studio intern

Post by *cisko* » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 am

This is not only a great idea, it is a fantastic opportunity for people to hear how good the eq actually sounds. I for one am a huge fan. Can't wait to get a pair in the rack.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:31 pm

*cisko* wrote:This is not only a great idea, it is a fantastic opportunity for people to hear how good the eq actually sounds. I for one am a huge fan. Can't wait to get a pair in the rack.
Remind me we need to order a pair!!! Me and tony both want one or 2.... maybe we will order more so we have one "to go" as well....

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:49 pm

If DC area people want to check one out, I'll try to set up an open day where folks can bring in files or we can track something quick.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:31 am

weatherbox wrote:If DC area people want to check one out, I'll try to set up an open day where folks can bring in files or we can track something quick.
If you can, try it on snare and Cello. Those two things right off the bat were like eye-wideners...

I have a bunch of snazzy EQ's, and this thing really has a sound of its own that can hang with things like the Pultec EQP1r, the Chandler curve bender, the manley massive passive, neve EQ's of various types (31114,1084,31102) and then other cool, weird stuff like the Melcor GME20... The Square State not only hangs in, but is a welcome addition to this type of collection, in my opinion. Thats why I am getting a pair asap, if I ever remember to email Joe about it.... :)

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:53 pm

The EQ has been underway since Monday. Mr. Dakota should be seeing it tomorrow, if the tracking info is any good.

And a footnote for the folks in the tour: we arbitrairly used Fedex Ground for the first leg, with pickup from my day gig. It took them a couple of days to get around to making the pickup, and they don't do same-day pickup at all. UPS comes through the neighborhood twice daily, and they do same-day pickup, with real-time dispatch over that magic tablet thingy that the driver carries.

Bon Voyage!