Announcing HYSTERICAL AUDIO

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 am

you know wren, let me clarify a few points:

1. im not aware of any old "jokes" about rap. i grew up listening to it and enjoying it. i genuinely am not aware of any old "jokes" about rap not being music.

now for an intermission -

this is music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZY87PDsnQ

2. rap in my opinion, is not music. it's a different art from all together. rap is poetry - spoken word, set to rhythm. i didn't say that it can't be appreciated. my opinion is that it's not music. how's that for not back pedaling?

3. you said that i was saying something bigoted. i am a word person... look up what bigotry actually means. that's why i told you a little more about myself before you jumped to any more conclusions about my "bigoted" response. i called you on the fact that you were just an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice, when in comparison i have.

4. what "i did" was offer my opinion on what rap was. i don't care if you agree, and no im not being bigoted. i can appreciate rap for what it is, and it's poetry, not music. and no, im not joking or being bigoted...

5. again, new country sucks.

6. being such a rap enthusiast, can you explain the difference between flow and delivery, and can you tell me when melody first hit rap and who brought that on the scene? go ahead and look it up. can you tell me what a griot is? oh nevermind....
Last edited by casey campbell on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:49 am

I don't like cats, they make me sneeze.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:53 am

Wagz wrote:I don't like cats, they make me sneeze.
what? i am sooo offended you don't like cats. how could you? this is just so offensive to all of the cat owners out there.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm

casey campbell wrote:this is music:

Overcompensation, bro. Seriously, Casey... You seem to have set about digging another hole. Just stop.
casey campbell wrote:3. you said that i was saying something bigoted. i am a word person... look up what bigotry actually means. that's why i told you a little more about myself before you jumped to any more conclusions about my "bigoted" response. i called you on the fact that you were just an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice, when in comparison i have.
Oh, for FUCK'S SAKE Casey, just shut the fuck up!!!
YOU'RE DOING EXACTLY THE SAME THING HERE THAT YOU DID IN THAT COMPRESSION THREAD! You're making wildly uninformed and offensive assumptions about someone. You don't know shit about how active Wren is in his community. Yet, you've decided that he's "an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice"?!?!?!?!?!?!?! FUCK OFF!!

I tried the PM route with you and all I got was fucking pathetic backpedaling and a life story filled with proselytizing. FUCK OFF!! If you can't fix the disconnect between what you mean to say, and what you actually say, then just shut the fuck up! or, get yourself a proof reader. But, don't act all surprised when the offensive things (that of course you didn't mean) actually offend people.

I'm gonna get on with pretending you don't exist now.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:04 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
casey campbell wrote:this is music:

Overcompensation, bro. Seriously, Casey... You seem to have set about digging another hole. Just stop.
casey campbell wrote:3. you said that i was saying something bigoted. i am a word person... look up what bigotry actually means. that's why i told you a little more about myself before you jumped to any more conclusions about my "bigoted" response. i called you on the fact that you were just an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice, when in comparison i have.
Oh, for FUCK'S SAKE Casey, just shut the fuck up!!!
YOU'RE DOING EXACTLY THE SAME THING HERE THAT YOU DID IN THAT COMPRESSION THREAD! You're making wildly uninformed and offensive assumptions about someone. You don't know shit about how active Wren is in his community. Yet, you've decided that he's "an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice"?!?!?!?!?!?!?! FUCK OFF!!

I tried the PM route with you and all I got was fucking pathetic backpedaling and a life story filled with proselytizing. FUCK OFF!! If you can't fix the disconnect between what you mean to say, and what you actually say, then just shut the fuck up! or, get yourself a proof reader. But, don't act all surprised when the offensive things (that of course you didn't mean) actually offend people.

I'm gonna get on with pretending you don't exist now.
wow, i asked you to pm so that we can continue the conversation....you pm me to put me down. i try to be civil and explain what planet im on and where im coming from...and here we go again...no response unless it's in public to curse me out.

overcompensation? nah.

here's my point in bringing up that video...

if a person can't sing nor play an instrument, does that make them a musician? so if a rapper can't sing or play an instrument, does that make him/her a musician? and if not, is what they do considered music still? ouch.

here's a musician:

Image the great elizabeth cotten.

now am i "overcompensating?"

how about this guy:

now here's someone interesting....both a rapper and a musician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyOhUXsG ... ure=search which one is she doing here? hmmm....

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 pm

casey campbell wrote:you know wren, let me clarify a few points:

1. im not aware of any old "jokes" about rap. i grew up listening to it and enjoying it. i genuinely am not aware of any old "jokes" about rap not being music.
Fair enough.

this is music:

OK....and....?
2. rap in my opinion, is not music. it's a different art from all together. rap is poetry - spoken word, set to rhythm. i didn't say that it can't be appreciated. my opinion is that it's not music. how's that for not back pedaling?
not 2 days ago casey campbell wrote: from webster:

"..vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony " [emphasis added by wren]
3. you said that i was saying something bigoted. i am a word person... look up what bigotry actually means. that's why i told you a little more about myself before you jumped to any more conclusions about my "bigoted" response. i called you on the fact that you were just an armchair participant with no experience in actually doing something in your community to further racial justice, when in comparison i have.
Again, I'm not saying anything about you, I'm talking about what you said.
4. what "i did" was offer my opinion on what rap was. i don't care if you agree, and no im not being bigoted. i can appreciate rap for what it is, and it's poetry, not music. and no, im not joking or being bigoted...
According to the definition of music that you posted on Monday, spoken poetry = music.
Again, not all new country sucks, I'm sure.
6. being such a rap enthusiast, can you explain the difference between flow and delivery, and can you tell me when melody first hit rap and who brought that on the scene? go ahead and look it up. can you tell me what a griot is? oh nevermind....
Flow is the way the rhymes/lyrics are written, delivery is how they're...well...delivered. There's quite a bit of overlap, though; ask 50 rappers and you'll probably get 50 answers as to where exactly the distinctions lie. And a griot, simply speaking, is a storyteller. And what does that have to do with anything?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 pm

wren wrote:
casey campbell wrote:you know wren, let me clarify a few points:

Fair enough.

this is music:

OK....and....?
not 2 days ago casey campbell wrote: from webster:

"..vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony " [emphasis added by wren]
Again, I'm not saying anything about you, I'm talking about what you said.
According to the definition of music that you posted on Monday, spoken poetry = music.
Again, not all new country sucks, I'm sure.
Flow is the way the rhymes/lyrics are written, delivery is how they're...well...delivered. There's quite a bit of overlap, though; ask 50 rappers and you'll probably get 50 answers as to where exactly the distinctions lie. And a griot, simply speaking, is a storyteller. And what does that have to do with anything?
no, it has to have melody or harmony as well as rhythm. you misread.

anyway...whatever. we disagree. big deal...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:11 pm

it clearly says "or". you're the one misreading the definition.

so, are you now suggesting that drummers and percussionists aren't musicians?

put down the shovel, dude.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:14 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:it clearly says "or". you're the one misreading the definition.

oh jeez...

it has to have melody or harmony with rhythm...

this isn't a definition of a musician. this is a definition of music! drummers provide the rhythm part of the definition. boy you are really proficient at twisting words aren't you? that's your game...and you love to play it.

btw: subatomic, your mixing sounds too squished with compression. try backing off on the ratios a little...and perhaps the threshold too? this might help!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm

casey campbell wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:it clearly says "or". you're the one misreading the definition.

oh jeez...

it has to have melody or harmony with rhythm...

this isn't a definition of a musician. this is a definition of music! drummers provide the rhythm part of the definition. boy you are really proficient at twisting words aren't you? that's your game...and you love to play it.

btw: subatomic, your mixing sounds too squished with compression. try backing off on the ratios a little...and perhaps the threshold too? this might help!
I feel like we're only minutes away from the whole "I was only kidding anyway, you guys take this way too seriously" post.

But, in the interest of keeping you honest, you should know that a comma does not equal "and" or "with". The comma in the definition that YOU POSTED, that comes between the words "rhythm" and "melody" does not indicate that the writer intended the sentence to read "having rhythm AND melody, or harmony".

Grammar and the English language are not opinion issues. But, assuming that your opinion is that the comma represents "and" or "with", then you also appear to be suggesting that classical music, or many other types that don't have melody AND rhythm, are not actually music.

Some horribly irresponsible person let you play around near the deep end of the pool and you've totally fallen in.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Comma Placement Rules - Examples
Between Items in a Series (3 or more items in a row):

I like pepperoni, pineapple, or pesto on my pizza.
Would you rather listen to music, play video games, or play basketball?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:48 pm

...now whats all this about some newfangled plug-in?

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Maybe the plug-in incorporates forum code into your recording sessions. People can start threads about how much your mix sucks, and how it's not music. Now that would truly be Hysterical Perspective.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Man,

I just ran out of gas for my Flamethrower...

:ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :biggergrin:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 am

Equally interested about this plugin! Also, if you can't accept someone's opinion regarding a music genre, please shut up, turn the computer off, go outside and get some sun.

No one cares how elaborate your defense is regarding why rap is music to YOU. Rap is not music to some people, just like ICP is not music to me and techno is not "real music" to others. These are opinions, people. Time to change your diapers now...
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*