Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roseylarose
audio school graduate

Plug-ins: Watkins Copicat / Roland Space Echo

Post by roseylarose » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Unfortunately I cannot afford the following gear:

Watkins Copicat
Roland Space Echo re-201

But I'd very much like to mess around with plug-ins (Pro Tools) that emulate them.
Any suggestions?

appreciate it.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:55 pm

A great, cheap VST space echo plug-in is discussed in this thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 42&start=0

But obviously, you'd need the VST to RTAS wrapper to use it.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:58 pm

still needs a wrapper, but free:
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=36

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:32 pm

the Massey TD-5 is a pretty cool tape delay plugin. you can try it fully functional for free (just can't save settings). not sure if it sounds like anything in particular but I get a lot of use out of it myself - and it was worth the $79 purchase price too.

www.masseyplugins.com

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for the WatKat link!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:27 pm

i love the gsi watkat. great for guitar work!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:37 am

i have no idea if you can figure out how to find and install it, but pluggo's space echo was actually pretty fun. not sure if it was the perfect emulation, but it hit the right notes. dirty. off key. etc.

pluggo did RTAS, so you don't have to worry about a wrapper. just that you'll need to find a product no longer made or supported.

roseylarose
audio school graduate

Post by roseylarose » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:59 am

I love this board! Thanks so much for all the tips... so helpful.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 am

i give a plus one for the watkat. i get what they are going for with the "built in noise" but it is honestly annoying. i use a gate after the delay to get rid of this. i wish there was an on/off switch for that kind of thing.

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Definitely +1 on Watcat!

-AE

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 am

Used the WatKat while mixing background vox last night. It's a nice delay plug-in for sure.

But...the background noise is totally annoying. Like seriously annoying. Requires track volume automation on quiet mixes or mute automation on fuller parts of the mix. Spent like an extra 20 mins of my time just dealing with the noise this thing generates when I could have been...mixing. I can't imagine the headache of using three or more instances. Noise fest. But the delay is pretty cool.

I actually really like the Tape Delay (fake space echo) in Guitar Rig 2 (or it is 3?) for totally vibey otherworldly verb and echo stuff. Obviously GR is expensive but it sounds decent and the FX are really nice.

But most of all I love my 1977 Maestro EP3 when it's working without this annoying oscillation thing. The EP that I'm currently mixing has the EP3 all over the guitars.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:39 am

http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_overview.shtml

analogic delay and tape delay are both quite usable.
the new rules : there are no rules

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Just paid for the GS-201 yesterday. Between the WatKat, GS-201, Guitar Rig's Tape Echo emulator, and my Maestro Echoplex I'm pretty set for a while.

The GS-201 delays sound good to me. I think that the next thing for me to do is grab a rack mount spring reverb to put after these plugs for a more realistic thing. Wish that my Echoplex wasn't do weird things from time to time. It sounds awesome when it's behaving.

Jeff

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm

I've used the WatKat a couple of times now for live mixing for bands with a rockabilly/garagey thing going on. I tend to use it as one aux and send a few different things into it at once to give a certain overall craziness to the mix. It excels.

What happens from time to time is that the more orthodox genre enthusiasts tend to bum out when they see me patch my MacBook into the desk. Then I show them what I do with it, and they all come around. Sure, it would be great if I traveled with EchoPlexes and spring reverbs, but that's a bit beyond realistic.

roseylarose
audio school graduate

Post by roseylarose » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:09 am

ipressrecord wrote:Just paid for the GS-201 yesterday. Between the WatKat, GS-201, Guitar Rig's Tape Echo emulator, and my Maestro Echoplex I'm pretty set for a while.

The GS-201 delays sound good to me. I think that the next thing for me to do is grab a rack mount spring reverb to put after these plugs for a more realistic thing. Wish that my Echoplex wasn't do weird things from time to time. It sounds awesome when it's behaving.

Jeff
I'm still getting my footing in the recording world, so let me ask the greenhorn question... I'm running Mac Pro Tools LE, does the GS-201 require a VST to RTAS program like Adapter? I like the audio samples and its cheap so I'd like to give it a go.