Just busted out the 'ol Portastudio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

christiannokes
steve albini likes it

Just busted out the 'ol Portastudio

Post by christiannokes » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:01 pm

My Tascam Portastudio 414 has been out of commission for a long time due to a bad ac adapter.

Anyway I bought a new ac adapter and I am back up and rolling with it.
Recorded a live band last night with drums guitars, bass shakers and crowd vocals in a medium sized room and it came out sounding great. Didn't even use compression, eq- nothin.

I think I will be using this more now. It is so much more welcoming to record on than a computer for me and it sounds great.

Does anybody here use one of the tape based portastudios and have some comments? Happy Monday

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Somebody just remastered for CD an album I did for a guy on portastudio 20 years ago (originally for cassette duplication) and I was really surprised how good it sounds.
So, yeah!

austin
takin' a dinner break

Re: Just busted out the 'ol Portastudio

Post by austin » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:14 pm

christiannokes wrote:My Tascam Portastudio 414 has been out of commission for a long time due to a bad ac adapter.
I had the same problem befall mine a few years ago. I looked around for a replacement adapter, but ended up finding a Tascam 488 8-track for the same amount of money just a new adapter for the 414 would have cost me. So the 414 is still sitting idle...

I always did love that machine, though.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:21 am

That reminds me, Austin- I downloaded all your stuff 3-4 months back. So good- really inspiring stuff you're doing there. The cassette portastudio stuff in particular really hit home. Thanks for putting that stuff out.
If you're ever in my part of the country, you have a session at my studio with your name on it....

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks! Really appreciate it. I just checked out the pics of your place -- looks cool.

kickoldman
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kickoldman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 am

I really like the drum sounds I get on my 464. I run guitar through a few channels of a Porta One to get some awesome transitor-y sounds.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:10 am

kickoldman wrote:I really like the drum sounds I get on my 464. I run guitar through a few channels of a Porta One to get some awesome transitor-y sounds.
Ditto, I've definitely loved the magic that thing does for drums and guitars.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 am

Finished up transferring my old Tascam 238 ~ 8 track tunes. Lot less brain work with the multi-track cassettes .........you really get your recording craft down with those machines.

We SMPTE sync'd the cassette unit to dual Kurzweil sequencers and then mixed through a 24 channel board for mixdown in the 80's --24 channels to master cassette :D

Island in the Sea http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplaye ... ckid=74324
Last edited by cjogo on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

Yeah, those things sound good. I've got one of the old gray 424's. On my last album I recorded some tracks on it in my apartment, mixed in with some other tracks done in a studio DAW. They sounded fine along side the studio stuff, when the mixing was done.