PT: Import Session Data

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

PT: Import Session Data

Post by UnlikeKurt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 am

Hello.

I was recently working in a studio with PTHD and was using the import session data feature a lot to bring mix levels and plug ins to other session files. I have LE at home and it seems that I can only bring in full tracks the audio files, automation, etc. Am I doing something wrong or is this a limitation of LE?

Thanks
James

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:30 am

Hi,

When you import session data you should be able to select what to bring in, in the import session data window.

There is an option on the HD at least, hopefully it is in LE as well...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

Its been a while since I have used that feature in PT LE, but I believe LE will NOT give you all of the import options that HD does. I don't recall which ones it does and does not give you though. SO, chances are you are not doing anything wrong, its just the limitations of LE.

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:57 pm

i use this option is LE all the time. i had no idea HD had a better way.

what i do is just import it, audio and all. then erase the imported audio tracks, and drag the old audio on top of it. you have to be a little carefull that your tracks are in the right order. this isn't really ever a problem with me since most of my stuff is done all live with the same basic "template" for every song.

it's not the sleekest system, but it beats the hell out of the old way of saving plugin settings and writing down fader levels for every track.

MrWiegand
audio school graduate

Post by MrWiegand » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 pm

I have PT M-powered and I believe the 'import session data' options are the same as LE, which aren't as flexible as HD and it only slows my work flow. Saving plug-in settings is how I roll.

time to step up to HD? :?

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:08 pm

It's true, the "import session data" window in HD is significantly more advanced than LE. The "match tracks" option can be particularly useful. But it's not necessarily crippling in LE.

The DV toolkit does give you an HD-style import dialog, FWIW (among other things).