Vintage 30s: Celestion vs. Weber 12V

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Vintage 30s: Celestion vs. Weber 12V

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 am

I'm currently running a 50w Marshall JMP through a 1960A 4x12 cab fitted with GT75s.

It's not bad, but a close friend has a Mesa 4x12 with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s in it, as well as 4 other 4x12s with various speaker configs. Last time I recorded tracks for my bands demo, I tried a few different setups, and found that the Vintage 30s best translated the tone that I'm after. Really fell in love with them. Also had a chance to use the same cab for a gig recently, and another friend, and uber guitar tone freak told me it's the best I've sounded.

Soooo... I'm in the market for a quad of Vintage 30s now, and am wondering if any of you have experience with, or have compared the Celestions to the Weber variant (12V). They're about $40 less. Also wondering about ceramic vs. alnico. Judging by the descriptions on the Weber site, the alnicos seem very appealing. Has me wondering if using 2x alnico + 2x Ceramic would be cool, or if I should just go with the ceramics (no way I can afford 4x alnicos).

What say you!?

p.s. I play mostly heavy hardcore/metal/doom type stuff.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

chris ryan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by chris ryan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 am

Weber makes great speakers. my friend who builds custom cabinet uses them in all of his cabs.

they sound great to me, live and recorded, although i am far from a speaker snob.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:33 am

chris ryan wrote:although i am far from a speaker snob.
\

Oh, me neither man. I like to hear things from both sides of the "snob fence". ;)
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 am

I've been working at an amp repair shop the last 6 months so I've played a lot of amps through a lot of speakers, lately. I've also played guitar for 28 years. Here's what I've found:

Older Weber's sound really, really good. I've experienced newer Weber's sometimes not sounding up to snuff and sometimes sounding down right crappy. I believe they have a quality control issue. It takes them a long time to fill orders and I think their reputation as the best speaker out there is snowing them under a little. I hate to say it because I love that company. I think it's statistically more likely that you'd end up with a good one, though.

I know you're not asking, but new Jensen's always sound harsh and brittle to me, although they are supposed to mellow out with age. Who has time for that? And do they really?

Celestion's always sound amazing to me, at least the Vintage 30's and Greenbacks.
We AB'd two hand wired Fender Deluxe clones and swapped new Jensen's, Weber's, and Celestion's in both and it was no contest, not even close. Celestion's all the way.

It was so obvious that I might not buy anything but Celestion's ever again, unless I find some orange back JBL's.
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 pm

i will have 4 Scumback's for sale 2 mondays from now. they are made by weber to this guys spec's. i encourage you to read the story on them. www.scumbackspeakers.com there are 2 M75's(25 watt) and 2 H75's (30watt). here's there spec sheet... M75
Warm, detailed midrange enhanced guitar speaker with smooth overdrive and distortion tones. Great sound right out of the box due to factory aging, design and break-in procedures. This is a superb tone and sound recreation of the G12M Pre Rola era "Greenback" that was used in Marshall stacks and combos, and many other British amps of the era such as Vox, Orange, Sound City, etc. 25 watt (M75-8 or 16), 65 watt (M75-8HP or 16HP) & 100 watt (M75-8XHP or 16XHP) power handling, 97db, 8 or 16 ohm versions available.

H75
50 ounce H (heavy magnet), 75hz bass response, 12 inch special design aged cone, small dust cap with vintage correct doping, spider, and voice coil tolerances. A close recreation of the 102 003 Pulsonic lead cone, with the tight bass, complex lower mids, even midrange and clear highs this speaker cone produced. This speaker is very similar to the tone produced in the Marshall 1960 cabs of the late Sixties with the 100 watt logo but with added efficiency to make your amp louder. 30 watt (H75-8 or 16), 65 watt (H75-8HP or 16HP), or 100 watt (H75-8XHP or 16XHP) power handling, 99 db, 8 or 16 ohm versions available.

they are my brothers and he's in mexico until next monday. so im not positive of price but im sure they will be seriously cheep.he just doens't want them anymore. they sound fucking awesome but we have way to many now. anyway...let me know if you are interested.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 am

I have a JMP 50 also - after trying a variety of speakers, I settled for Celestion greenbacks, happy since.
0x

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:34 am

0xeneye wrote:I have a JMP 50 also - after trying a variety of speakers, I settled for Celestion greenbacks, happy since.
I've tried the Greenbacks as well... not for me. I can see why some would like them, but I found them to be fat in all the wrong places for the stuff I play.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY