Building a tiny cabinet for reamping?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

labyrinths
audio school

Building a tiny cabinet for reamping?

Post by labyrinths » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am

I would like to build a tiny cabinet so that I can reamp stuff through it at a fairly low volume but get tons of speaker breakup. Is that a dumb idea? Has anyone ever tried something like that?

What are my speaker options? Weber goes down to a 6" but something even smaller would be nice. I'm looking at the full range fostex 4" drivers at madisound, but it seems like those won't breakup as nicely as speakers that were designed for guitar, have alnico magnets, etc.

A closed back cab probably makes the most sense, right? Anyone have any ideas or advice?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:53 pm

All the little speakers I've tried (smaller than 10") sound really "fizzy". Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to eq it out. I even tried having some custom chokes made, that didn't help either. I've tried really generic speakers, some Altecs, and those Jensen Mod 6". Fizz city.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

labyrinths
audio school

Post by labyrinths » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Fizzy in any kind of cool or useful way though? To clarify, I'm not expecting to mimic the sound of a big cab. I'm looking for more of an effect. Something kind of small and midrangey and plastic sounding. Even AM radioish. But apart from the obvious running it through some crappy boombox or computer speakers, I'm wondering if there's anything interesting to be had with a vintage driver and a little wooden cabinet.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I thought it was useless. I couldn't solve it. Doesn't mean you can't, but watch out for fizz.

Maybe if you could figure out some sort of built in hi-pass and/or low pass filter it could be really useful. Like you could go full fizz or blown out farty or more "full range".
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:01 am

Earcandycabs makes a 6" guitar cab, uses their own custom drivers. No idea how it sounds but I bet if you email them they will send you a video at least.

Or you could pull a speaker out of a crappy older keyboard...and/or buy one (most surplus electronics supplies have them). Usually they are 4 ohms, 2", and a watt or two. I use one as a bench speaker...just wired a 1/4" jack to it. Doesn't sound great but might get you close to lofi if that's what you are after.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:51 am

Everybody and most of their mothers seem to have old computer speakers sitting around - I may have to give that a go myself, now I've thought of it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:09 am

I use a Smokey amp for this :

http://www.smokeyamps.com/Smokey_Pages/smokey.html

A lot cheaper than using some kind of built thing that you don't even know if it will work.

These sound great.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I have an Axe Trackhttp://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/ It does the job.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

labyrinths
audio school

Post by labyrinths » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Oh yeah, I've been wanting to try one of those smokeys. That sounds like a good place to start and the price is right. Thanks everyone.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 pm

you could also try a squawk box. they're made to amplify mag stock when editing film by hand. something like this:

http://www.carmenborgia.com/fave/pages/Squawk1.htm

I have a couple sitting around, one transistor, the other tube, but haven't gotten around to playing with them as guitar amps yet.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:56 am

I would email the guys at Weber and tell them what you're trying to do. They know their products inside and out and are always glad to help out with recomendations.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I've got an old Fender practice amp w/ an 8" Celestion and it makes a great recording and reamp rig. Sounds huge with a SDC and 57.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 am

This is a silly idea that I just thought of, but what if you did the reamp at a higher playback/record speed than usual? All that small speaker fizz would then be dropped into a different frequency range, and has a small chance of sounding much cooler.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:01 am

http://www.parts-express.com has all sorts of "close out" audiophile and pro audio speakers at short money.

I put an 8" cheapo poly-coned woofer (with a tiny magnet structure) into a silver face Champ.

The mellowest, 'mid-rangiest' thing I ever heard.

One trick pony though; a very good trick, however.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:35 am

two things:
first, old radios sometimes have some pretty cool speakers in them, not to mention you've slready got your cab built if you find some old wooden 60s gem
second, mangling small speakers, as in SERIOUSLY distressing the cone paper, warping the basket, etc, can create some crazy sounds - not always all that usable, but crazy. $20 at Salvation Army will buy plenty of stuff with suitable parts for experimenting.
cool idea, btw, scodiddly - i gotta try that
Village Idiot.