can computer speakers really kick ass?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

can computer speakers really kick ass?

Post by Harry » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:21 am

I just got a new home PC and I would like some speakers that don't make me want to puke listening to them.
It would be even better if I actually enjoyed listening to them.....Even better than that it would be great to be able to check mixes on them (since I don't even have a real home stereo anymore:)

Just a set of thumpin' computer speakers would be great, but if I have to buy some "gear" to get it happening I could be into that too.
I don't plan on doing any recording with it just listening.

(((but I would like to be able to check mixes on them ...so I hope this is the right forum:)))

I know this is the way most people listen these days...so what are you using?(btw...no surround stuff please)
Thanks

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:22 am

The Klipsh stuff is decent for the money. I had the non-wireless version of the ProMedia 2.1 set-up for a long time before I got my old Marantz receiver fixed. My only complaint was the cabling was annoying, as you had to slave the smaller speakers off the sub and this required to you daisy chain the cables from the left to the right speaker (not in serial thought, so they were true left and right). I could have re-wired it....but I'm lazy. Plus I picked it up for $70 bucks on clearance at Best Buy. I had several house parties with the them hooked up to my laptop feeding iTunes. I wasn't bumping Lil Jon or anything...but the bass imaging was good and complimented the mids and highs nicely.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia- ... B000062VUO
But I'd track down a used set.....or just buy some cheap M-Audio Active monitors for the same price?[/url]

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:34 pm

I'd look at little bookshelf speaker systems...stuff with at least particle board cabinets. Watch for names you know and trust - Boston, Infinity, Polk, Sony, Klipsch, JBL, etc. I've seen commercial-grade Tannoy's on ebay of late (with the "Play" nametag).

A lot of them will sound hyped - scooped mids, one-note bass. But they'll be typical of the speakers that people are using at home.

I've also got a couple sets of those gargabe-grade beige plastic PC speaker systems. One is on my workbench, where I can use it to listen to things, without having to worry about cooking expensive drivers when things misbehave. I've also been known to reference mixes on them...though more recently superceded by a pair of Minimum 7's.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm

no
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:52 pm

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:10 pm

also spendy, but probably nice (never tried them):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XS21/

I have the Solo6's and they're awesome.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 pm

I have a Boston Acoustic sattelite and sub system I got from Gateway for my wifes desktop computer nearly 15 years ago, and it really sounds pretty decent. I wouldn't mix on it, but it does a good job of telling me what stuff will sound like on most current mid range/fairly high end factory auto stereos. It's worked day in and out for all of this time.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:21 am

dsw wrote:no

LOL....

Wait.......... with this cable I can use about any powered studio monitors right?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Right-Audio ... 667&sr=8-9

Am I missing something?
God I'm stupid with this kind of stuff... I have a whole studio full of shit that I can get working one way or another,but I have trouble with stuff like hooking up the kids playstation???

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 am

It depends on the size of your ass. A small boy, yes. Rosie O'Donnell or Kim Kardashian, no.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am

Anyone use the M-audio?

I'm looking at these

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/352211.html

I should be able to just use these to hook them up right?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCMP3

I guess you can use any powered speaker right?

Why do they market speakers that are "computer speakers" then?
All the "computer speakers" seem pretty lightweight and sucky.

Im thinking I might get a couple of powered EV mains and rock the shit out my little office:)

Sorry if this is a dumb thread full of stupid questions.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:49 am

I ended up going with these M-audios

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=600092

I guess what it came down to was the volume controll on the front.

I figured out that if I wanted some real monsters that I would want some kind of little mixer for volume controll.

Oh well.... not super kickass...but better than those cheapass logitechs that came with the PC

If they're super cool or super lame I'll follow up with a post....I'm pretty sure we can assume they they're just pretty ...OK.

Thanks for the help

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am

Harry wrote:I ended up going with these M-audios

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=600092

I guess what it came down to was the volume controll on the front.

I figured out that if I wanted some real monsters that I would want some kind of little mixer for volume controll.

Oh well.... not super kickass...but better than those cheapass logitechs that came with the PC

If they're super cool or super lame I'll follow up with a post....I'm pretty sure we can assume they they're just pretty ...OK.

Thanks for the help
They are decent for the price. I have a friend who bought a pair for a similar reason...and they are ok. Again...the daisy chaining this is annoying, but thats how they save money. Only one unit has a power supply.

One thing is that you'll have to use a splitter like you had previously mentioned, not the mono 1/8" to unbalanced 1/4" you put a link up for.

The first link is better with the stereo 1/8" splitter to rca jacks. Run that out of the line out of your PC's audio card and you should be fine.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 am

the only difference between "speakers" and "computer speakers" is the connector.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 am

Anybody looking for good sounding inexpensive speakers owes it to themselves to listen to a pair of Tannoy 501a's. They sell for $370 a pair. They go loud, they have bottom, they have a good solid amount of mid information without being boxy and harsh like NS-10's and they image well. Truly a value.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am

klangtone wrote:also spendy, but probably nice (never tried them):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XS21/

I have the Solo6's and they're awesome.

Roy
Spendy, yes. I have used them a fair amount. Probably logged 50ish hours with them. I liked them quite a bit. Great listening speakers. If "checking mixes" means listening to something the average Joe may have, then this is not for you. These sound really, really good. Totally sweeten the sound and very smoothly. I rather enjoyed my time with them.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.