What's your favorite pair for overheads?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

spencerwalters
pluggin' in mics

What's your favorite pair for overheads?

Post by spencerwalters » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

For awhile I've had to use a pair of :shock: MXL 990s :shock: as my condensor mics and now that I have some spare cash I'm looking to get a new pair. My budget is around $1000 for the pair.

Any recommendations? I've been looking at some RODE models like the NT1-A, NTK, and the NT5s. It'd love to get a pair of Neumann TLM 102s though. Which condensors are good for what? I'm a noob when it comes to microphones.
- Spencer

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

If you want LDCs, you could probably find a pair of used 414s for around $1000.
If you want ribbons, you could probably find a pair of used m160s for around $1000.

You may have to go a little over-budget with those mics. But, both of those are super useful on a number of sources and sound fantastic.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Josephson C42's fit the budget, and make pretty tasty overheads.

Also been using the ol' group buy ribbons, AT4047's and Earthworks omnis.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I agree that you might want to look for a pair of 414s. Those things are super-versatile and even as overheads, you've got a lot of great options avaialble right off the bat, just in terms of pattern selection. I find that the switches on the modern ones are a pain because it's kind of easy to hit one of the buttons by accident and not know it and there's no way to know if you've switched something or not without looking at the button, which is a pain if the mics are up over a drumkit or under a blanket inside a bass drum or something. I'd go for some of the older ones for that reason alone. 414s were my standard overhead mics on most rock-type sessions for years and years and they sound great on lots of other sources, too.

Lately, I've been using KM184s an awful lot after years and years of hating KM184s. I found that the trick is to pair those mics (which are a bit bright) with preamps that roll off a bit in the top, like Neve 1272s. That combination is pretty great for what I'm looking for in cardioid overheads these days. With the economy like it is, you can probably find a used pair of KM184s for $1k.

Beyer M160s are also a good call for certain things, although I'd find them a bit limiting if I only had those for overheads. They're also versatile mics, though, and you could use them on lots of other stuff, as well. I think if I was specifically loking for somerthing for overheads, I might go for a pair of Beyer M500s before I'd go for M160s. The 500s are a little brighter than the 160s, which I find to be helpful over a drumkit.

If you like a shimmery, but kind of fizzy, soft, bright top, you could get a pair of AKG 451s. Those are useful for certain things, too, and a pair should run well below $1k.

I also like the Oktava MC012s for overheads on occasion and for $1k, you could probably get a matched set with all three capsule patterns.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 pm

The Scum wrote:Josephson C42's fit the budget, and make pretty tasty overheads.
Oh yeah, those are great! I need to get me a pair of those things.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 am

cascade fatheads with upgraded transformers are in that budget. ribbons rule as overheads.

the c414 is very versatile and you'll use it for lots of other things but... i don't know, i think ribbons are useful for more things than most people think of them for.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 am

I've had a lot of luck with AKG 451s; they are detailed and bright and seem to create a nice stereo image when I use them as a spaced pair. Coles 4038s can be great if you have someone who really mashes the drums.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:45 am

The best sounding mics I've found for drum overheads in a modified Glyn Johns format are my two Groove Tubes MD1a's (aka the "hamilton mic").

They also make great vocal mics.

Of course, I'm speaking as a guy with i) not a lot of real recording experience, ii) a limited mic collection, and iii) a 7 ft high basement for recording.

But I have an Opinion!

(Maybe I should run for president).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 am

Another vote for the Josephson C42s. Usually my go-to for OH duties.

Can't imagine anyone regretting buying a pair. Incredible mics. Versitile. I use mine on tons of stuff, and they continue to impress me.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:03 am

I just started using a pair of Peluso CEMC6s. I like them a lot. The HF responce is pleasing on drum OH and Acoustic guitar. And I just used one on bowed classical upright (on the fingerboard in tandem with an ldc on the bridge). I've heard some people say they're flat up there, but I dunno. I think they're a little hype-ey, but they're the right kind of hype-ey, if that makes sense.

Also, John Peluso is a good cat. We had a warranty repair on our 2247le and he called to follow up about a month after we got it back.
Prog out with your cog out.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 am

Unless the drummer has really mellow cymbals or technique, I can't get behind LDCs for overheads. I love my tape op ribbons and crown cm700s SDC, though these are father down the food chain.

If I had a couple more Blue Mouses (Mice? that doesn't sound right either.) I think they'd be pretty cool for a Glynn Johns setup. I put mine on the floor tom this past weekend and loved the way it picked up the whole kit.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:13 am

yep...good suggestions. I say skip the rode stuff though....there are better choices IMO.

Me personally....I'd look for something that is vesitile beyond just overheads. The AKG c414's would definately do the trick...and if you can find a bit older ULS model...i found them to be a bit less hyped from the newer XLS model. Still.....$1000 for a pair is cutting it close....you might be able to find that if you keep looking.

I've definately seen km184's for around $1000. You could also send in you mxls to oktavamod to get a km84 syle makeover....they don't sound as good as the vintage neumanns....but the sound damn good for the price.

The c42's sound fantastic as overheads.....so I'd definately check them out. I used them for a session a while back and they really captured the sound of the kit without the cymbals drowning everything out. My only complaint is that I generally found something better on almost all other sources, maybe it was just that room or my ears?

The Oktavas are huge step up from the MXL's, and getting a used set with extra capsules is super useful on tons of sources. Make sure to get the -10db pad....as the output is hot as hades. Also you can get the large or medium size diaphram capsules as well as figure 8. The sound great on tons of sources. Also....say you get something new. Send them in to oktavamod and get them sounding even better.

If you could afford a pair of coles 4038's they totally rock as overheads, and sound fan-friggen tastic on electric guitars. Thats over budget though. Other ribbons are good as well....like the Cascade fatheads (vinjets sound great on drums too) are good too, and versitile on other sources. You could pick up a pair of Shinybox 46mxls for around 800. very nice sounding ribbons for the price.

Audition if possible....and if buying new...buy from somewhere with a decent return policy and you should be able to find what sounds good to you after a few comparisons.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:39 pm

ott0bot wrote:The c42's sound fantastic as overheads.....My only complaint is that I generally found something better on almost all other sources, maybe it was just that room or my ears?
Took me a little while to get the hang of how to most effectively use them.

That fairly large bump around 10k can be a bit much on certain things, especially close up. But it also allows for more placement options. For example, I find that sometimes I'm mic'ing some things much further away than I would with other mics (relatively... not necessarily talking feet or anything) to soften their [extreme] transient response, or to flatten out the frequency response a bit.

I remember the 1st time I tried it on ac. guitar. Using my usual starting point for placement, I thought it was way too bright and weird sounding. I was sitting in a chair with wheels, and as I slid back, I noticed a more natural and even tone, but with NO sacrifice in clarity and detail. This is one of the things I LOVE about them as OHs. You can place them higher than other mics for the reasons mentioned above, which gives you the added bonus of picking up more ambience and room sound, if you're into that sort of thing.

In a basement, with super low ceilings, or bad acoustic space in general, they maybe aren't the best.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

cgarges wrote: I also like the Oktava MC012s for overheads on occasion and for $1k, you could probably get a matched set with all three capsule patterns.
I really like MC012s a lot on overheads. They are articulate but quite mellow sounding for SDC's. I got a matched pair with all the capsules a few years ago for well under $1,000. Last session I used them on we a/b'ed them with a (more expensive) Earthworks pair. The Oktavas just sounded much nicer in that application (jazz/funk drum overheads).

414's are very nice mics all around. Don't know about $1,000 for a pair though. I would never hesitate to use them as overheads.
-Chris D.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:47 pm

You've already gotten a lot of good suggestions. I'd add Shure KSM32s to the list.