Tascam 48 value???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

keeeter
audio school

Tascam 48 value???

Post by keeeter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 am

so here's a story,
i work at a repair shop and 4 years ago a man brought a tascam 48 in for repair, this is before i started working there. so my boss did $600 worth of work, replaced a bunch of relays and did a full re-furb. and the guy never showed up. so i say to my boss, i'll give you $600 for that machine. which i do. take it home, get ready to buy the tape, and lo and behold, what do you know, the guy calls and wants his machine back. 4 years later. it'll probably just sit and gather dust in his closet too. whereas i had big plans for this machine. 8 tracks, 1/2 inch!! oh it hurts. so i'm thinking i'll offer the guy money for it. thing is, i can't find a price anywhere! can anyone tell me how much this machine might be worth. pristeen condition. say if you wanted one of these how much would you pay for it?
thanks!
k

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:52 pm

i sold a 1" atr-60 for about 1k. it was in excellent shape. $600 actually seems like a fair price in this market.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:17 pm

That's a bummer man. 48's are really cool. I used to have one. I have a 58 now.
I know it's tip-top, but it seems like you're pretty close to the ceiling already concerning how much it's worth. I probably wouldn't ever pay anything more than what you already have, but if you love it, and you know it works perfectly, maybe offer him another couple hundred? I don't know. That seems like a lot. That does hurt.
Too bad you have to make two people happy. (FWIW I got my 58 on here awhile ago for $300 from a VERY cool tapeopper.) Not that they're popping up for that price regularly or anything, but if you can arrange getting your $600 back, you may have to look for awhile but I would imagine a 48 or an Otari MX5050, which there are more of it seems, can be had in good shape for $600. But there's the dilemma of letting go of a WORKING tape machine (from what I understand) Oooh, no small thing.

You could always make him an offer he can't refuse!

Imagine, though, some guy working 4 years of dead-end jobs, late shifts, pregnant girlfriend, car impounded, stolen identity, bad credit, finally wades all the way back through some hell of story, all the while dreaming of the day he could finally get his Tascam 48 back, come to find the repairman sold his dream off the day before he came back to claim it.

Unlikely.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

dbeck
audio school graduate

Post by dbeck » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm

4 years later!!!??!!!

Dude, it's yours as far as I'm concerned. Most repair places have a 6month limit for how long they will keep a piece of repaired gear around. Those things take up space.

Was the guy keeping in-touch those 4years? or did he just disappear for 4years? Is he best friends with your boss? a regular/important customer?

I would say he's now trying to buy the 48 from you. How much will you let it go for?