Why you should not leave your guitar in your car, a reminder

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ron's Brother
gettin' sounds

Why you should not leave your guitar in your car, a reminder

Post by Ron's Brother » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 am

http://www.yourband.info/index.php?q=node/111

a nice article on why you should not leave your guitar in your car.... with pictures. I know for one I am guilty of doing this; a lot. It is a nice reminder that you really need to take care of your gear.
http://www.yourband.info great site to promote your band or music.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:09 am

Remember the cold is no good either. I've seen what would be a beautiful sunburst Les Paul with cracks all over the finish.

And for godsakes, let the thing warm up gradually. If it is in a case, keep it there.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 am

Another point: I wouldn't leave a guitar in my car because someone would be likely to break in and steal it.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01 am

I play cheaper guitars than most (all but one under $400) and they look better with age than the expensive player guitars of many...I don't beat them around and always keep them in a hard case when traveling, never leave them out in the car.. Some people like a "relic" I like my guitars to look decent and don't want any repair bills.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:07 pm

Many years ago I left my bass in the car and the neck warped. I was able to get it back by leaving it stringless in the closet for a week or so (the closet is cool and temp stable) and doing a tension bar adjustment. Cured me of ever leaving a guitar in the car though.

And jeez, how many times have I heard "yeah man, we got all our stuff ripped off"
And then you find out they left their gear in the car overnight, too tired or whatever to bring it in the house.

There's no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood. Gear in your car = please take my gear.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm

suppositron wrote:Remember the cold is no good either. I've seen what would be a beautiful sunburst Les Paul with cracks all over the finish.

And for godsakes, let the thing warm up gradually. If it is in a case, keep it there.
Well believe it or not, there are those who actually want that to happen to their 5K Les Paul Historic and have left it out in the cold and exposed to the heat of the sun to make it look more like vintage 50's Les Paul.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Oh shit... I better go get my guitar outta the van!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:06 pm

They guy who wrote the article lives in Glendale, AZ...probably like 10 minutes from my house. And let me tell from experience. Don't leave anything in your car in Phoenix during the summer. It will melt anything....even stuff out of direct sunlight. You gotta be careful just touching the steering wheel if you don't put up a window sheild. Stupid people kill their pets and children every year leaving them in the car for "just a few minutes." I can imagine it's not good for a sensitive instrument made out of wood, metal, bone and plastic. It's a frickin inferno everytime I've got into my car for the past 3 months and it makes me grumpy. just ask my wife. Also, like stated, if it doesn't ruin something, someone will steal it.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:08 pm

In my hood, it would not be there long enough to warp. I promise. You would also be missing a window...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Why you should not leave...

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Playing out a lot, I sometimes leave the van loaded with gear. When we don't have a bunch of dates in a row or a road-trip, I try to unload and leave everything in storage at the studio.

A few years back, someone brought me a djembe from Senegal. It had a great, deep bass and a nice open and slap sound too. I was using a lot of my drums for some itinerant teaching, and I had that djembe in the car on a very cold January day. The head popped, and I've never been able to replace it (non-standard size, and I don't do the Mali-weave thing).

Bring those instruments in when it's very cold or very hot!

GJ

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 pm

ott0bot wrote:They guy who wrote the article lives in Glendale, AZ...probably like 10 minutes from my house. And let me tell from experience. Don't leave anything in your car in Phoenix during the summer. It will melt anything....even stuff out of direct sunlight. You gotta be careful just touching the steering wheel if you don't put up a window sheild. Stupid people kill their pets and children every year leaving them in the car for "just a few minutes." I can imagine it's not good for a sensitive instrument made out of wood, metal, bone and plastic. It's a frickin inferno everytime I've got into my car for the past 3 months and it makes me grumpy. just ask my wife. Also, like stated, if it doesn't ruin something, someone will steal it.
True true. I live in Mesa. In AZ if it's 115 outside, it's at least 130 inside the car. Nothing survives, not even your chihuahua.

Besides, leaving your instrument in the car is just mean man. No instrument deserves that. Hey, guitar's are people too, you know.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Ron's Brother
gettin' sounds

Post by Ron's Brother » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 am

-3db wrote:
suppositron wrote:Remember the cold is no good either. I've seen what would be a beautiful sunburst Les Paul with cracks all over the finish.

Well believe it or not, there are those who actually want that to happen to their 5K Les Paul Historic and have left it out in the cold and exposed to the heat of the sun to make it look more like vintage 50's Les Paul.
WHAT! :shock:
http://www.yourband.info great site to promote your band or music.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:24 pm

One time when I was living in Cambridge, MA I came out to my car in the morning, in a somewhat fuzzy sate, only to be informed by the building super (who talked like one of the Click and Clack brothers) that my car had been broken into.

There I saw it, with a door open.

Then, about 50 feet away, I see one of the big, ugly extremely heavy Peavey monitors I had left in the car overnight.

Then, about 150 feet further away in the parking lot, the other BUHP monitor.

Guess they dropped them like big ugly bread crumbs.

So the moral of the story - if you have to leave something in your car overnight, make sure it is a big ugly heavy Peavey monitor.

Not even thieves want those.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Why you should not leave your guitar in your car...

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:20 pm

I suppose by now you've heard the following joke, but just in case:

An accordian player has to stop at the bank, and then a store on the way to a gig. At the second stop, as at the first, he is very careful to lock the doors and turn on the car alarm, because his prized Victoria accordian is on the back seat. He goes into the store, and is only there for a few minutes. When he comes out, the guy's worst fears are realized-- the car alarm is blaring, and his back window is smashed. He runs to the car to look inside...and there are two accordians in the back seat.

GJ

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Why you should not leave your guitar in your car...

Post by suppositron » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 am

Gregg Juke wrote:I suppose by now you've heard the following joke, but just in case:

An accordian player has to stop at the bank, and then a store on the way to a gig. At the second stop, as at the first, he is very careful to lock the doors and turn on the car alarm, because his prized Victoria accordian is on the back seat. He goes into the store, and is only there for a few minutes. When he comes out, the guy's worst fears are realized-- the car alarm is blaring, and his back window is smashed. He runs to the car to look inside...and there are two accordians in the back seat.

GJ
Oh man did I LOL at this joke!
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.