What's the closest to an Analog Signal Path Digitech RP-250.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

What's the closest to an Analog Signal Path Digitech RP-250.

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12 am

I can feel the latency in this thing. I'm digging screwing around with different tones, (although I usually just stay on "Hendrix" but with the Wah on) but I hate that I'm doing an AD/DA in the five feet between my Guitar and my Amp.

I'm thinking one of those ADA Preamps from the nineties? Wasn't that supposedly a TOOB, all analog signal path that was just switched around internally based on digital, reacallable settings. Or was that advertising bullshit. Are those things still $1000?

Thanks,

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Man... For $1000, you could get several incredible boutique pedals that would give you plenty of tones to screw around with.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:20 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:Man... For $1000, you could get several incredible boutique pedals that would give you plenty of tones to screw around with.
Yup.

But, if what you want is a good multi-fx box just for screwing around that's fun to screw around with, sounds good, and feels good to play through, check out the Zoom G2 family. Their sounds typically fall somewhere between acceptable if not exciting to amazing, especially for the price.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:04 pm

you could plug straight in with a cable. or purchase a vox wah, an overdrive, a tap tempo delay - empress makes a nice one...supposedly analog with digital tap tempo, that seymour duncan tap tremolo, and an electro harmonix holy grail, and you should be good to go! you could get that for under $1000 bucks!

seriously, i just tried out the line 6 m9 thingy. it was nice. tap tremolos, tap delays, etc etc etc. only had one nice o.d. on it though. but all the modulation stuff was tasteful. georges tripps is doing a good job over there.

i think it retails for 400 bucks.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Oh fuck. I didn't mean that $1000 was what I was shooting for. I meant that in a "did those ADA's get so old that now they're "vintage" and overly priced again" kinda way. I think they were originally about a grand new. On eBay they're around $300 it looks like.
Carl Keil

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:53 pm

The ADA MP-1 has chorus and a delay..... that's it. They're awesome little boxes, although they only really have one good sound. YMMV
Everything louder than everything else.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:45 am

Snarl,

I have one here at the store for $150. PM me. You could come demo loan it for a day or two.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 am

dsw wrote:Snarl,

I have one here at the store for $150. PM me. You could come demo loan it for a day or two.
Maybe you can answer the question though. Does it have an analog signal path? Including the delay and chorus? (Or true bypass/blend for those) Or, does everything go through a ad/da at some point.

I want to feel that direct, copper connection between my pickups and the speaker again. Maybe a little jump from an anode to a cathode (or is it vice versa?) in there, or a trip across the windings of a transformer at some point. But otherwise straight through, speed of electrons kindof thing.
Carl Keil

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm

OK, maybe I'm an idiot, but my own last post helped me figure something out. I guess I do a lot of "thinking out loud" here on the board, cause I got no one I collab with IRL.

Anyway, it was bugging me what I was saying about the latency, because it couldn't really be the latency that was the problem. I mean even if the thing has 10ms, (doubtful) that would be like standing ten feet from you amp, and I'm sitting about 2.

Then I realized it was somehow the digitalness of it itself. It really started bugging me this idea that my waves of sound were being transformed into computer models of waves of sound and then back again. I needed more "analogness" even though I was, overall, intellectually digging the tone I was getting.

I was trying to take a nap and I couldn't sleep thinking about this stuff. I was thinking, "I need something to smear the sound a little" and I remembered that I built a "reamp" type box from a kinda cheapo Edcor transformer. And that what I said above about jumping the sound across the windings might do something for me.

So, I hit the little "mixer" switch on the Digitech's output that jumps it up to line level instead of "instrument" and pushed it through my transformer based circuit.

I'm so happy playing through that digitech now. And I can shape the tone a bit more even, with those mysterious knobs. I feel like it replaces that digital shmutz at the top end with analog shmutz in a very euphonic way.

Flame away.
Carl Keil