Higher End replacement for 828MKII

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

Higher End replacement for 828MKII

Post by sad iron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:48 pm

OK, So I want to upgrade my system in the nearish future. I've had an 828MKII since they were released. The config is perfect for my set up. In every way. Accept the prosumer quality. Yes, I know BLA will mod it for me, but I'm not gonna lay $350 into an 8 year old box.

So, my question is, what's out there on the higher end that matches the config of the 828MKII (nearly) perfectly. I've looked at the Ensemble. No midi. I've looked at the Fireface. Only one FW400 port. Yes, I could use the 800s, but that would require reconfiging my HD setup. Don't want to have to spend more money to make the more expensive system work.

The Echo AudioFire Pre8 looks like a straight swap, but is that an upgrade?
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 pm

I have been super happy with my RME multifaces. It looks like a pretty much exact replacement; 8 analog ins/outs, 8 ADAT ins/outs, SPDF, word clock and Midi. The drivers rule so you can run super low latency but it's not USB of course, not sure how you are connecting to your computer laptop currently. Are you using USB or the MOTU PCI card thingy?

Anyway, not sure how you would rate the RME as far as prosumer goes. The Multiface II's are a good penny but I have two mark I's that I picked up for 300 each with the PCI card included used which I think is a pretty smoking deal for the conversion compared to the Delta 1010's I had.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:13 pm

having listened to a lot of shoot outs with converters, i think the differences are pretty minor. minor enough that for home studio people there is probably always something more important to buy.

so maybe wait till your unit is no longer compatible or supported or stable?

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 pm

T-rex wrote:I have been super happy with my RME multifaces. It looks like a pretty much exact replacement; 8 analog ins/outs, 8 ADAT ins/outs, SPDF, word clock and Midi. The drivers rule so you can run super low latency but it's not USB of course, not sure how you are connecting to your computer laptop currently. Are you using USB or the MOTU PCI card thingy?

Anyway, not sure how you would rate the RME as far as prosumer goes. The Multiface II's are a good penny but I have two mark I's that I picked up for 300 each with the PCI card included used which I think is a pretty smoking deal for the conversion compared to the Delta 1010's I had.
No, I've got the ancient FW MKII, not the more recent USB. I'm rocking a dual core iMac with 1 FW Buss (2 400 ports and 1 800?).

I guess part of what I'm wondering is if buying a new interface would get me better (or more modern) converters than what I have or if I should just keep working with what's working.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:04 pm

eeldip wrote:having listened to a lot of shoot outs with converters, i think the differences are pretty minor. minor enough that for home studio people there is probably always something more important to buy.

+1 There are many cheap things like snare drums and voice lessons that make a more noticeable difference.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Hmmm.

A Motu 828 mk3???

I have one and it rocks. I also had the mkii... although it's been a while, I remember the mic pres being more "plastic" sounding than the mk3s...

You would get one and just keep working.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Meathands wrote:
eeldip wrote:having listened to a lot of shoot outs with converters, i think the differences are pretty minor. minor enough that for home studio people there is probably always something more important to buy.

+1 There are many cheap things like snare drums and voice lessons that make a more noticeable difference.
Voice lessons. :-) Been there. That's a sunk cost. I'm a singer. Really. (clicky the link below). But I know what you're saying.

MKIII is an interesting option, but other than the pres, how does is differ significantly from the MKII?

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Meathands wrote:

Voice lessons. :-) Been there. That's a sunk cost. I'm a singer. Really. (clicky the link below). But I know what you're saying.

MKIII is an interesting option, but other than the pres, how does is differ significantly from the MKII?

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 pm

What about looking at upgrading/adding something attached to your adat or spdif ports? Sort of have your cake and eat it too, since you can go as nuts as you want with more esoteric converters and they will stay with you if the 828 gives up its smoke at some point. I also have the 828 MKII. It is the replacement for an 828 MKI that I only got rid of because it had very limited monitoring capabilities (ie, I expect its still out there working somewhere). I don't really use the built-in pres on mine except to capture some redundant di box or to use for a talkback connection. I have been giving serious thought to making better use of the digital i/o though. Actually been thinking a bit about the art tubeopto, but it gets about zero discussion anywhere.
Last edited by lancebug on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 am

do you have a lot of outboard pres of mediocre quality? do you record more than 2 channels at a time?

i think getting something like a focusrite pro40 and selling your motu and selling all but your best pre might be an interesting choice. would smooth your workflow. you would get the marginal difference in a more modern AD DA chip.

clean up cables. take out some variables.

or do you really need 8 channels? you could go for a smaller 4 channel unit...

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:01 am

Hi,
Have you ever considered a Metric Halo 2882?
It doesn't have MIDI capabilities but it's routing options are infinite and has pre's, +48 and D.I. inputs for all 8 channels.
ADAT, AES and S/PDIF Digital IO.
Wordclock IO.
Operates via FW and clips @ +24 dBu and have very good converters
These can be found used for 1200$, sometimes with 2D option already installed, 2D opening a whole world of mixing possibilities.
Metric Halo is a small NY based company that stands up for their products, and promptly answer any question a user might have.
That would be my suggestion, i have two of these and I would buy them again immediately if stolen/lost
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:44 pm

sad iron wrote:MKIII is an interesting option, but other than the pres, how does is differ significantly from the MKII?
Hi,

It is just the updated version. Newer technology.

I like the converters on it much better than the old mk2.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 pm

eeldip wrote:do you have a lot of outboard pres of mediocre quality? do you record more than 2 channels at a time?

i think getting something like a focusrite pro40 and selling your motu and selling all but your best pre might be an interesting choice. would smooth your workflow. you would get the marginal difference in a more modern AD DA chip.

clean up cables. take out some variables.

or do you really need 8 channels? you could go for a smaller 4 channel unit...
I have an original digimax (quite decent, actually), a Presonus Eureka (also not bad), a 12AY7 and a VLZ3 1202 that I use for non-crtical tracks. I need to be able to record around16 tracks simultaneously, so my current setup gets me there. I could sell everything (I can't do studio stuff other than my own do to awesome new job) an pare down. I was actually really intrigued by the Focusrite Safire 56. I Have a LiquidMix 16 and really love it. I've heard great things about the Liquid Pres.

Anyone have any experiences with that box?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 pm

My nephew has the Safire and really loves it. He took me through it a few weeks ago; the converstion (D/A) sounded really good and I thought the mixing interface was really nice and intuitive compared to my RME. He really likes it but we didn't track anything so I can't comment on that. Seemed like a slick interface though.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:58 am

I was actually really intrigued by the Focusrite Safire 56. I Have a LiquidMix 16 and really love it. I've heard great things about the Liquid Pres.
Yes! I went from a dual MOTU rig (828MKII + Traveler) to a Saffire 56. I was getting sick of the MOTU drivers under XP and a good deal on a Saffire 56 came up on eBay (I believe I paid $500 for mine, slightly used).

Sonically it's a huge upgrade. It had enough IO to replace both my MOTUs. I love the Liquid Pres, they were a major upgrade for me and the other 6 pres sound really clean and good. Much better than anything else I've got to work with. Converters seemed to be a big step up as well, which I wasn't expecting since my MOTUs always sounded fine to me.

Very happy with the box, runs great down at 96 samples on my crappy Athlon X4 under Windows 7. I have one complaint only: no direct monitoring. I really miss ASIO direct monitoring, but I think I was one of the last people to use that feature. I've since switched over to the Cubase Control Room and my artists have been happy with the results and nobody has noticed the latency so far (round trip is 6ms, all said and done).

The Liquid Pres REALLY sound interesting -- the emulations are drastically different from each other, even down to changing the sensitivity of the mic. At the same gain settings, my mics will behave very differently through the different emulations. It's great to flip through a couple while the artist warms up. My only complaint is that you really have to push the gain on most sources, I doubt you could use them with ribbons.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number