S/PDIF

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Post Reply
mattdhall
pluggin' in mics
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:16 am

S/PDIF

Post by mattdhall » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:17 pm

It seems like all interfaces include S/PDIF and count this as a usable input. Why? Is there a huge array of musical instruments that have SPDIF outputs that I have failed to notice? The only thing I have in my house that outputs SPDIF is my DVD player.

kslight
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2673
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Post by kslight » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:42 am

2 channel pres/converters often have spdif...amp modelers also.

chris harris
speech impediment
Posts: 4270
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:31 pm
Location: Norman, OK
Contact:

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 am

High end stereo converters almost all offer digi I/o via SPDIF.

User avatar
jnTracks
steve albini likes it
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:49 am
Location: seacost of NH USA
Contact:

Post by jnTracks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 am

i have a pre that has a S/PDIF out routed into that input on my digi 002.

also some DAW monitor controller like, if i'm not mistaken, the presonus central station have S/PDIF input so it bypasses the converter in the 002 for the monitoring.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 am

I know this is throwbacky, but a great many DAT machines have S/PDIF.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lysander
pushin' record
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:05 pm

Post by lysander » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 am

Are the optical ins and outs on most Apple computers also S/PDIF? I have a TOSlink cable that I use with my MBP sometimes -- is this S/PDIF?

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: SF

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

lysander wrote:Are the optical ins and outs on most Apple computers also S/PDIF? I have a TOSlink cable that I use with my MBP sometimes -- is this S/PDIF?
No. SPDIF carries 2 channels of digital audio and resembles RCA in appearance. TOSlink carries 8 channels (at 44.1/48k sample rates) and has little lightbulbs on the end of the cables.

User avatar
richierichie
ass engineer
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Edinburgh

Post by richierichie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 am

PEDANT WARNING (sorry) - they don't have lightbulbs. It's an optical cable, so the source of the light is whatever the cable is connected to.

Sorry :oops:
I like you mostly late at night

chris harris
speech impediment
Posts: 4270
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:31 pm
Location: Norman, OK
Contact:

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:59 am

also, optical cables are capable of transmitting S/PDIF signals.

User avatar
kingmetal
buyin' gear
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:10 am
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by kingmetal » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
lysander wrote:Are the optical ins and outs on most Apple computers also S/PDIF? I have a TOSlink cable that I use with my MBP sometimes -- is this S/PDIF?
No. SPDIF carries 2 channels of digital audio and resembles RCA in appearance. TOSlink carries 8 channels (at 44.1/48k sample rates) and has little lightbulbs on the end of the cables.
Actually it is SPDIF. The protocol can be utilized over toslink (optical) interfaces and most devices that support the 8 channel ADAT protocol that I've spent time with allow you to switch between ADAT and SPDIF communication protocols.

I doubt MBPs speak ADAT, so it's likely SPDIF.

I use SPDIF as the 'tape out' 2-channel mixdown output for my digital console. I've found lots of other uses for them and wouldn't buy an interface without one.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

User avatar
JGriffin
zen recordist
Posts: 6739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:44 pm
Location: criticizing globally, offending locally
Contact:

Post by JGriffin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 pm

kingmetal wrote:
Bro Shark wrote:
lysander wrote:Are the optical ins and outs on most Apple computers also S/PDIF? I have a TOSlink cable that I use with my MBP sometimes -- is this S/PDIF?
No. SPDIF carries 2 channels of digital audio and resembles RCA in appearance. TOSlink carries 8 channels (at 44.1/48k sample rates) and has little lightbulbs on the end of the cables.
Actually it is SPDIF. The protocol can be utilized over toslink (optical) interfaces and most devices that support the 8 channel ADAT protocol that I've spent time with allow you to switch between ADAT and SPDIF communication protocols.

I doubt MBPs speak ADAT, so it's likely SPDIF.
Also, older devices tend(ed) to have either an RCA for S/PDIF or an opto for S/PDIF...I believe my Sonic Solutions DAW had opto S/PDIF, with no ADAT option (partly because Sonic spoke to DA88, not ADAT)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment
Posts: 4964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Lake Arrowhead California USA
Contact:

Re: S/PDIF

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:31 pm

mattdhall wrote:It seems like all interfaces include S/PDIF and count this as a usable input. Why? Is there a huge array of musical instruments that have SPDIF outputs that I have failed to notice? The only thing I have in my house that outputs SPDIF is my DVD player.
One term comes to mind :

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

With the "Sony / Phillips Digital Interconnect Format."

Which came about before ADAT.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: SF

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:22 pm

I stand corrected! :oops:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests