Impressions' S/T (1963) production details?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

evan
buyin' gear

Impressions' S/T (1963) production details?

Post by evan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:32 am

Anyone know anything about this record's production, engineers, studio, etc.? I think it was originally released on ABC-Paramount, 1963. I've known and loved this album for years, and I've yet to get over it's straight-forward, luscious recording quality, not to mention the very fine tunes...

To my ears it's probably the same studio responsible for Major Lance's early records (i.e. Monkey Time, Um Um Um Um Um). Perhaps some well-known Chicago area studio/Curtis Mayfield fixture I don't know about?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Impressions...

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:30 pm

Try asking Bob Olhsson. He is on the WOMB forums and some of the other recording sites (Gearslutz?).

GJ

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:20 pm

According to this wikipedia article, producer Johnny Pate recorded most of the Impressions material at Bill Putnam's Universal Recording in Chicago. Can't go wrong with Curtis, or Universal for that matter.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Interesting! I had no idea that Universal Audio had a studio. Makes sense, though.

What's that big ball of mic that Curtis is using?:

For those curious, here's what I could turn up of the studio:
(Benny Goodman, circa '55)
(Teddy Wilson + Getz, circa '55)
(Studio A, circa '59)

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:42 am

Great shots!

Apparently Universal was THE studio back in the days when Chicago still had an entertainment industry. It is mentioned a lot in the Bruce Swieden bio and in the Chess Records book.

Supposedly the first big hit with artificial reverb ? Peg O My Heart by the Harmonicats ? was recorded there back in 1947. Universal had great sound even then:

Peg O My Heart by the Harmonicats on Youtube

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I actually pilfered that last photo from an exerpt from the Bruce Swedien book; seems like an interesting read.

Looking at those old studios definitely makes me pine to record in a huge space, which I imagine allows for that paradoxically intimate yet open sound. Can't fake acoustics, at least easily or very well...and of course, killer equipment helps too.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:50 pm

The big ball mic is actually a windscreen on what looks like a short body 47. I've got this 1960 British "Manual of Sound Recording" and it shows lots of 47s and C12's in use at the BBC with those windscreens.

evan wrote:
What's that big ball of mic that Curtis is using?: