Need tech recommendation for 1968 U87

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Need tech recommendation for 1968 U87

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:21 pm

This sucks but it's my own fault... my U87 took a dive (quick-release mechanism wasn't fully engaged) off the mic stand last night from about 6 feet and stopped working. From what I can see from looking through the now-dented grill, it doesn't look like the capsule has any physical damage from contacting the grill, there's still some distance between the grill and capsule. It just spits out noise now.

This is my favorite mic and I need to get it fixed fairly quickly, within a couple of weeks if at all possible. Can anyone recommend a tech that is good, fairly priced, located in the US (eastern US would be even better) and has a decent turnaround time?
I don't want someone who would replace the capsule with a modern one, I want to get it fixed if at all possible.

Thanks.
--Ben

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 pm

When I was looking for someone to repair a U87 the tech who responded to my questions they quickest and had the best prices was Klaus Heyne at German Masterworks. He also has a great reputation. http://www.germanmasterworks.com/

Bill Bradley at the Mic Shop in Nashville would probably have the quickest turn around time, but he's the most expensive. His reputation on the internet isn't the greatest, but I've dealt with him several times and he's always been helpful and knowledgeable.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Klaus is the guy, but I have also had Neumann USA fix stuff for me as long as it was NOT the capsule. They can replace switches and components and give you the old stuff so you know exactly what was changed, and they do a really good job.
Its a U87, so as long as they done swap out the guts (which they would not) they would probably do a great job with it.
All i know is that they did a great job for me on my FET47 pad switch, and on a TLM 170 limited edition "gotham" model which is chrome, and really sent the stuff back looking nice and sounding great.
Klaus is the guy for capsule work, or super touchy situations like historically accurate tube and xformer replacements... that sort of thing.
The other guys seem to take forever. I have had pals with mics at Korby's place for months, after the quote was for 3 weeks.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks for the tips, looks like I'll end up sending it to Klaus.

I might give it a go-over one more time before doing this, though... I opened it up yesterday after finally figuring out how to remove the headbasket. Everything on the inside looks good but I might go over all the solder points with a magnifying glass before sending it. Since the capsule appears undamaged, I'm thinking that maybe a connection came loose.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Yep, checking the boards is a very good idea as that's definitely the most likely thing to go wrong in that mic. It's not like a bonk killed a capacitor, it just may be too small of an interrupt to see easily.

Joel's right about Neumann USA. They're fast, reasonable and totally do a good job with repairs. Just don't let them touch the capsule. I'm not sure of what Klaus's turnaround times are but I doubt it's really quick. His work is supposed to be spectacular, but it doesn't sound like you need world class care in this case.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Holy crap I love Klaus' web site!
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Holy crap I love Klaus' web site!
It is very efficient. Even with my 9600 baud, acoustic coupling modem and my Tandy 100 laptop, it loaded in under 2 minutes!

I think it is point to point, and discrete.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:12 pm

If you can wait for Klaus to repair it, then go to him.

He is AWESOME.

I am eagerly awaiting the new book he wrote, it is supposed to arrive this October. It's in my Amazon Wishlist.

I have also used a U87 modified by Klaus, to have 20 dB more sensitivity, and improved sonics, and let me tell you, that mic was incredible.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.