PT HD NATIVE

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Really, the only thing significantly cheaper about the Apogee Symphony system is the PCIe card itself.... which is pretty useless without their Symphony I/O boxes, which bring the total cost much closer to that of a PTHD Native system. Then, obviously, you're on the hook for your own DAW software...

I assume that lots of people were really hoping that PTHD Native would come in at a price point similar to an 003. Or, they had hoped that it would be software-only and that they could use it with whatever interface they already use.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:59 am

hoping maybe, but avid plays like apple in this case. they control their environment to make sure hardware behaves with software like they want it to. when it comes to my DAW i'm glad they do.
would they really be able to do automatic delay compensation if they weren't sure what hardware interface you were using?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 am

jntracks wrote:hoping maybe, but avid plays like apple in this case. they control their environment to make sure hardware behaves with software like they want it to. when it comes to my DAW i'm glad they do.
I agree. But....
jntracks wrote:would they really be able to do automatic delay compensation if they weren't sure what hardware interface you were using?
Yes. Everyone else has been able to for years.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:41 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
jntracks wrote:would they really be able to do automatic delay compensation if they weren't sure what hardware interface you were using?
Oh, snap!

Image vs. Image

-RL

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:45 pm

heheh.

so what you're saying is protools is a space pen and other DAW's are pencils?

:lol:

EDIT: i should clarify, i like protools. but i don't, at all, understand the protools hate that turns up on the forum from time to time. those who don't like protools are on the hook for less money, right? and they get to use the DAW they prefer. so what's the problem?
-Justin Newton

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:22 pm

I am a 002r BLA mod user on LE 8.

I simply meant to draw a comparison to the thought processes behind Avid/Digi as an actor in the DAW market, and to what seems to be a consensus of thought that IS the DAW market (everybody else).

During the Cold War, the US spent $12 billion to engineer a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 300C.

The Russians simply used a pencil.

-RL

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:37 pm

Off topic but every time I hear someone mention the space pen anecdote I have to link to this: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

A totally legit anecdote though, so I'm in no way knocking you for using it, I just think it's an interesting bit of history!
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:58 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
jntracks wrote:hoping maybe, but avid plays like apple in this case. they control their environment to make sure hardware behaves with software like they want it to. when it comes to my DAW i'm glad they do.
I agree. But....
Can Someone say Reaper!

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:13 pm

It is not new that Digi/Avid got a jump on the pro audio world with their systems when computers were slow. But now that the computing power of my laptop rivals any HD3 rig running Logic or Reaper as far as functionality and plug-in count, it seems pointless for me to spend that kind of dough just to to use Pro Fools! Plus I can work on a mix or edit anywhere at any time!
Besides I bought a used Radar 24 system for way less than what a PT native system would cost,and it sounds fucking great and lets me focus on how people are playing and how it sounds and not what they are playing looks like.

-Collin

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:55 pm

kingmetal wrote:Off topic but every time I hear someone mention the space pen anecdote I have to link to this: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

A totally legit anecdote though, so I'm in no way knocking you for using it, I just think it's an interesting bit of history!
Awesome! :D I actually copied from this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... ty_pen.htm

Send me a PM, I'll paypal you $5 dollars for preserving the truth.

-RL

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:08 am

Destroy Big Brother wrote:
kingmetal wrote:Off topic but every time I hear someone mention the space pen anecdote I have to link to this: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Awesome! :D I actually copied from this: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... ty_pen.htm

Send me a PM, I'll paypal you $5 dollars for preserving the truth.

-RL
+1. before reading snopes my comment was gonna be "and that cold war worked out pretty good for the russians, right? ....right?....oh....."
-Justin Newton

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 am

in all seriousness though, Avid/Digi are coming at this from the wrong direction.

while previously successful, this current business model is riddled with lapses of judgment within the current conditions. no doubt this has great potential, but the level of success this will receive is likely minimal given that so many comparatively equipped DAWs (with more flexibility for less) are far more accessible and are readily adapting to user input, technological advancement, and market conditions. releasing PTHD Native as is in this climate takes some cajones, confidence or both.

they could get permanently loyal clients if they adopted a better approach.

-RL

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:57 am

Destroy Big Brother wrote:in all seriousness though, Avid/Digi are coming at this from the wrong direction.

while previously successful, this current business model is riddled with lapses of judgment within the current conditions. no doubt this has great potential, but the level of success this will receive is likely minimal given that so many comparatively equipped DAWs (with more flexibility for less) are far more accessible and are readily adapting to user input, technological advancement, and market conditions. releasing PTHD Native as is in this climate takes some cajones, confidence or both.

they could get permanently loyal clients if they adopted a better approach.

-RL
Just as long as they don't to to Pro Tools what Apple did to Logic. That really sucked big time.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 pm

noeqplease wrote:Just as long as they don't to to Pro Tools what Apple did to Logic. That really sucked big time.

Cheers
Forgive my ignorance, but explain what that was for us PC users.

-RL

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Well, they discontinued the PC version of Logic very shortly after they bought Emagic, for starters.

Digi have a history of dead-ending products that have been superseded, too. Mix+ systems were abandoned as soon as HD happened. Might the same thing happen to TDM?