Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ctmsound
george martin

PT HD NATIVE

Post by ctmsound » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 pm

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 pm

absolutely ridiculous that Avid is charging $3500 for a native card and Apogee only charges $1K for theirs. Insane.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm dumb. Can someone parse the industry jargon and explain this in simple terms?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 pm

This is a big fail on 3 counts.

1. For that money, can't you buy a used HD core system?

2. No upgrade functionality to add an Accel card?

3. $3500, seriously?

I don't see this taking off for some reason.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:49 pm

"fzzzzt."

"What was that?"

"Oh, nothing. Just the sound of your TDM plugins becoming obsolete."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:08 pm

kslight wrote:This is a big fail on 3 counts.

1. For that money, can't you buy a used HD core system?
Yet, somehow, the used market for BMWs hasn't really hurt sales of new Hondas.
kslight wrote:2. No upgrade functionality to add an Accel card?
The point is, it runs on NATIVE processing power. You can upgrade when Intel upgrades.
kslight wrote:3. $3500, seriously?
Sure, seems expensive. But, it retails at $4500 less than a DSP equipped HD card. It's not intended to replace LE/M-Powered. It comes down somewhere in the middle, which is exactly what people have been asking for. Sure, I realize that people would be much more enthused if the card was $1000 like the Apogee, or even better if it was $250 like the MOTU card that provides the same functionality for DP.
kslight wrote:I don't see this taking off for some reason.
I think that it'll be HUGE. I'm sure that huge studios that need hundreds of tracks for scoring movies or making pop hits, will stick with PTHD TDM. And, I'm sure that home studios will still be more likely to be running PTLE. But, for a commercial studio, that represents basically the modern day version of a 24track tape studio with a console, this is a fucking revelation. Sure, it's a LARGE premium to pay versus DP/Logic/Cubase/Reaper/Etc., for a similar feature set. But, for a lot of busy smaller commercial studios, the compatibility and familiarity is totally worth a couple thousand dollars.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Only problem I see with this, is that it does NOT support latency compensation with the plug ins, JUST LIKE the Le version.

This right there kills it for me.

The TDM plug ins are great because you can run them on a channel that is on input, and use the plugins to change the sound in almost realtime. Oh... the magic of TDM rears it beautiful head.

As soon as anyone figures out how to make a Native plug in work with less than 2mS of latency, please let me know. Until the, I am sticking to my HD system.

Cheers

PS... No I am not in denial. I too hoped this would be a good product, but it really only is LE on steroids, with the better converters and some more audio tracks to play with.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:59 pm

I initially thought that the announcement was being made for hardware-agnostic PTHD and I almost did a backflip. What they're offering is significantly less interesting to me, but I'm glad that Avid is giving its customers another option.

To me, though, it's sort of a case of Go Big or Go Home -- if I was going to run a full PTHD rig and drop a ridiculous amount of money on a rig, you're damned right I'd buy a full HD system with DSP cards.

If this solution was $1k, that'd be different. Shit, I'd probably buy one just for compatibility and drum editing -- but this system still costs nearly $6500! Sure the card is only $3k, but to actually get any usable IO you're out another $3k which is totally ridiculous. A normal-as-hell PCIe ASIO interface is not worth what they're charging, so you're basically saying that the software is worth thousands of dollars. This, to me, exposes what we've all known for a long time: Avid is selling us a product that the other guys have proven can be made for a fraction of the cost.

And that's why I won't touch it. PTHD has one of the best workflows in the industry and I know why people use it -- but I just can't imagine spending more money on an interface card with no IO than I did for my entire rig.

Shit, my whole rig (computer, interface, and software) cost about $1500. I'll be sure not to tell my clients that.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 pm

It seems like a step in the the right direction, but not enough to lure me away from Logic.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:53 am

ummm, what i read said that it supports both TDM plugins and delay compensation with plugins.

did i read wrong on sweetwater?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 am

jntracks wrote:ummm, what i read said that it supports both TDM plugins and delay compensation with plugins.

did i read wrong on sweetwater?
Sorry, but you must have misread the chart. HD TDM uses TDM, HD Native does not.

But! Native also DOES do delay compensation for hardware AND software inserts, just like HD TDM.

Something else that I feel is important but it often missed: this solution supports CoreAudio fully - just like the new Mbox family. So you can use this as the front end for anything. And also play iTunes while your session is open.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:42 am

I think that we should make a distinction between "latency compensation with plugins" and "plugin delay compensation".

"Latency compensation with plugins" allows you to use plugins on INPUT CHANNELS with super low latency. This is a feature that DOESN'T EXIST WITH ANY NATIVE DAW. And, while it may be a useful feature for some, it's not the "delay compensation" that everyone has been complaining about being missing from PTLE.

"Plugin delay compensation" is when the DAW compensates for the latency caused by using plugins on inserts or sends when mixing. It's especially necessary when using DSP based plugs like those on the UAD platform. But, other plugs create latency, too. THIS is the missing feature that had professional studios complaining that PTLE was "unusable" for their needs. And, this seems to have been addressed with PTHD Native.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I think that we should make a distinction between "latency compensation with plugins" and "plugin delay compensation".

"Latency compensation with plugins" allows you to use plugins on INPUT CHANNELS with super low latency. This is a feature that DOESN'T EXIST WITH ANY NATIVE DAW. And, while it may be a useful feature for some, it's not the "delay compensation" that everyone has been complaining about being missing from PTLE.

"Plugin delay compensation" is when the DAW compensates for the latency caused by using plugins on inserts or sends when mixing. It's especially necessary when using DSP based plugs like those on the UAD platform. But, other plugs create latency, too. THIS is the missing feature that had professional studios complaining that PTLE was "unusable" for their needs. And, this seems to have been addressed with PTHD Native.
Thanks for explaining that. I've now relaxed the part of brain that had been in disbelief at Digi not including delay comp in PT Native.

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:02 pm

ctmsound wrote:absolutely ridiculous that Avid is charging $3500 for a native card and Apogee only charges $1K for theirs. Insane.
Apogee's native card comes with PT HD software bundled in free? Wow! :P

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't know why everyone is talking about the Apogee like it's cheaper. Seems to be the same price and doesn't include the Avid hardware. It's just a compatible head unit that still requires the Avid card.

Plus, the Apogee seems like it's like 3k on its own...
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number