Hilarious post over on the Sweetwater Forum

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Hilarious post over on the Sweetwater Forum

Post by aitikin » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:19 pm

So I occasionally show up at Sweetwater's forums. Today I felt like taking a look again. I found this: http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showth ... e20-EV-mic

Read the first three posts. I was laughing so hard at it I had to share it.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:40 pm

In that poor goofballs defense it appears from his grammar that he speaks English as a second language which can sometimes make you sound a bit curt (as I find with my Spanish).

But it doesn't get any better than:

"Feedback is usually the result of pointing speakers at mics or having speakers too close to mics. You didn't really provide much info about your setup so it's hard to help you more than that."

"i did give you where i put the mic. it goes in the mackie 1640i i'm not sure how much more information you need. what more can i say."

That makes the most derailed tapeop thread look like a wizard summit.

niccolo gallio
takin' a dinner break

Post by niccolo gallio » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:40 pm

It gets better and better..
And some more...
C'mon, you can't possibly believe what's written on my avatar..

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Wow

Post by alexdingley » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm

So... I just read the whole thread. Uhm... My brain hurts. And as someone who makes his living by helping people to troubleshoot in a world that they don't know the basic vocabulary for*... I feel for the guy. But moreover, I feel for the Sales Engineer who's gonna get an earful of questions when that guy goes to buy his first compressor.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:15 pm

that whole thing just made me kind of sad and anxious. there's obviously been a big lack of communication from the start...

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 pm

it's almost like they'd previously sold stuff to a guy who wasn't really ready to handle all that gear, just to make a sale.

lee
steve albini likes it

Post by lee » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:19 am

That makes the most derailed tapeop thread look like a wizard summit.
"I don't know what is the matter, just tell me what I have to buy!"
retailers salivate.
i've written the song that god has longed for. the lack of the song invoked him to create a universe where one man would discover inspiration in a place that god, himself, never thought to look.

richierichie
ass engineer

Post by richierichie » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:51 am

The guy just sounds like someone who doesn't have any background knowledge of audio equipment, and doesn't speak English as his first language, as others have said. But is it still ok to laugh at:

" i have a shure PG58. BUT I WANNA GET THE ONE THAT HUEY LEWIS HAS."

:lol:
I like you mostly late at night

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:11 am

Sorry...

I call B.S. on the poster's part. I think he is pulling everyone's leg.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

{}
audio school graduate

Post by {} » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 pm

That thread is pretty amazing.

However, it is likely the work of a troll.

(I just want the one Huey Lewis has)

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:it's almost like they'd previously sold stuff to a guy who wasn't really ready to handle all that gear, just to make a sale.
And this is a surprise?

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Hilarious post over on the Sweetwater Forum

Post by Andy Peters » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:23 pm

aitikin wrote:So I occasionally show up at Sweetwater's forums. Today I felt like taking a look again. I found this: http://www.sweetwater.com/forums/showth ... e20-EV-mic

Read the first three posts. I was laughing so hard at it I had to share it.
That's just sad.

Funny as all fuck, but sad.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

This nutty sweetwater stuff...

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:22 pm

>>>>I call B.S. on the poster's part. I think he is pulling everyone's leg.<<<<

Maybe. It would sure seem like it has to be a joke, right?

But then again, there's the story that the late Steve Bradley, the audio professor at the University of Buffalo, used to tell.

Early in his career (college?), Steve had been a stereo salesman. One day, a guy came in the store and asked for the best speakers in the joint, "Money is no object." He (the customer) listened to several very expensive pairs (this would have been back in the 70's; you pick a brand, it doesn't really impact the punch-line of the story-- JBL's, Polk's, Bose, whatever). The guy seemed well-versed in specs and was asking a lot of questions about impedance and things like Total Harmonic Distortion, etc. He picked-out an expensive pair of speakers, and paid cash. Steve gave the guy his card and said "Call me and let me know how great they sound when you get them home! I'm here if you have any problems or questions."

The next day, the customer calls, livid. He is melting the phone receiver with his vitriol. "You sold me a pile of %$#@% speakers! Now what the &^%$#@ are you gonna do about it!"

"Hold on, slow down. What's the problem? The speakers melted and started on fire you say? Oh my gosh; bring them in and we'll take a look. We'll certainly replace anything that was defective!"

The guy brings them back, and they are toasted. Voice-coil, speaker cones, the whole nine. So Steve starts with the questions. "What happened? They started on fire? I just don't understand it. Can you walk me through the steps you went through to hook them up?" Thinking that this would have been a simple story of the guy running some speaker wire from his tuner to the speakers, pressing the "on" button and dialing in a station, Steve waited for the guy to explain.

This was back in the 70's, remember. No internet, no wireless, no wi-fi, no "cloud" music, no ipods, no CD's. Your music was on the radio, or it was on vynil, or _maybe_ reel-to-reel or 8-track cartridge. Are you still with me?

WAIT FOR IT...

The guy took the expensive speakers home, took some lamp cord w/two-prong plugs, and a soldering iron, and soldered plugs directly to the speakers. Then, he plugged them into his 110 wall outlet, and waited for the music to come out...

GJ

DrummerMan
george martin

Re: This nutty sweetwater stuff...

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Gregg Juke wrote: The guy took the expensive speakers home, took some lamp cord w/two-prong plugs, and a soldering iron, and soldered plugs directly to the speakers. Then, he plugged them into his 110 wall outlet, and waited for the music to come out...

GJ

Now THAT's funny. :lol:

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Re: This nutty sweetwater stuff...

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 am

Gregg Juke wrote:What's the problem? The speakers melted and started on fire you say?

It was at this point I knew exactly what he'd done. Classic!

As for RE20 Boy (if he's for real), can you imagine how deaf his clients must be??
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com