headphone amps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 am

Honestly what I have been doing for years is re-purposing old tape decks, VCRs and whatever else will take line level and output a headphone level.
It works but is incredibly clunky and overkill. Not to mention annoying when the cassette (that is keeping the tapedeck in record so it will output to the headphones) breaks mid song.

I am kinda looking to have at least 4 seperate mixes. A facility to mix a main stereo mix with individual stems is nice.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am

I recently picked up this http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=620992

Have had 2 sessions with it and so far really like it. Good headroom and flexibility. I currently have it set up as 4 custom mixes comong from the sends on my board but it can also work in a more me situation. No EQ or other fancy options, but I use my board for that. I might eventually set up cue mixes ITB (my board only has 4 sends) but will see.

Seems like a pretty robust build. Will see how long it lasts.

As usual it seems like it is 1-2 mix choices short of what would be ideal, but it is pretty cost effective. Interestingly the model I have has a master/slave function to it link multiple units together, but there is no documentation of the feature anywhere. Wondering if it just links the master mix or does something smarter.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:07 pm

That one is totally on my radar. At this point I am either gonna:
get that guy and a couple Gerst cans;
build a bunch line level-headphone boxes per the DIY suggestion (+some gerst cans)
Pickup one of the Furman dealies with the satelites that let artistes dial in levels. I will have to wait on more phones if I go that route.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote: I am kinda looking to have at least 4 seperate mixes. A facility to mix a main stereo mix with individual stems is nice.
I built my 4 cmoys in an ammo case like this:
  • Each one had an individual stereo input jack
    There was a master input switching jack that disabled all the individual ones when something was plugged in
    There were mono aux inputs for each channel controlled by an additional pot
The wiring got kind of messy, but I'm sure if you have experience with DIY you could do it better.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:02 pm

A friend of mine makes these, they are good and I can vouch for him.

http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm
0x

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Retail Headphone Amp Solutions

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:38 pm

We have two of the Rolls headphone amps-- great, and about $60.

I have an old Rane two-channel rackmount. Pretty good, but maybe hard to find these days.

I also have the new JamHub system. It's cool, and offers interesting flexibility, but for the price, it has _very low ouput_ and is pretty easily over-driven.

GJ

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:59 pm

0xeneye wrote:A friend of mine makes these, they are good and I can vouch for him.

http://www.cafewalter.com/ha1/index.htm
Nice! I just met him the other day.. Good guy!

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm using a little Rolls unit... the HA-43, IIRC. It is adequate and plays fairly loud and clean, so long as you don't overload the input. Cheap, too.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 pm

ofajen wrote:I'm using a little Rolls unit... the HA-43, IIRC. It is adequate and plays fairly loud and clean, so long as you don't overload the input. Cheap, too.
Oops, never mind. I missed the part about wanting four separate mixes. This one won't do it.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:53 pm

I have a 6 channels rolls unit, and each channel has an insert, so you could send a mono mix from an output on your interface for each mix you want, then run it into the insert on the heaphone amp. That method allows 6 seperate mixes that you can send to trs sends on a snake and have a passive headphone controller at the other end for the musicians control of the mix level.

it's the older model of this guy:

On this one is says "direct input" instead of insert, but same principal. So a used one of those and and as many Furman Hr-2's as you need, and you can have 6 seperate mixes, and the main stereo mix for a couple $100 bucks.

Dan Rosato
ass engineer

Post by Dan Rosato » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:50 pm

We use the Furman HD-6- (http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=HDS-6) and it works great over here. Artists get 4 seperate mono mixes AND on stereo mix, and sound quality is loud and crystal clear.