Oktava 319. Thoughts?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

spencerwalters
pluggin' in mics

Oktava 319. Thoughts?

Post by spencerwalters » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm thinking about getting this mic soon. I'm mainly a musician/songwriter but I'm getting more into recording and I want to get something to replace my mxl 990. Are there any other mics you would suggest in this price range?
- Spencer

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:32 pm

Which instrument(s) will you be recording mostly?

I assume Acoustic and Vocals?

spencerwalters
pluggin' in mics

Post by spencerwalters » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Yes! Mainly vocals and acoustic. If i end up buying another down the road i'll use them for overheads as well. Maybe i'll experiment as a mono drum room too... :o
- Spencer

Wlouch
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Wlouch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:17 pm

I am not familiar with this Oktava mic, I do know the MK012s are lovely for their price. Going on that I would imagine this is a perfectly ample mic for the price.

Other options would be Rode NT1a

sE Electronics sE2200

If the Oktava MK012s are anything to go by I would suggest going with your initial choice over those two.

Another important factor is how you like your acoustic to sound. If you have a bright guitar and/or voice getting a ribbon mic could maybe help tame that, whilst giving it a distinctly warm ribbon response which could suit you really well.

A lot of things to consider when getting a mic especially when I have no idea of the sources timbre and tonality

Edit: One thing I will add is that Oktava mics are fairly different from one another, so if you buy two eventually, I would prefer to spend the money on a Oktavamod 319 through Michael Joly, they would be more expensive with the mods, but much more likely to be similar for overheads later on down the line. PLUS they will sound nicer due to the modifications he does.

Deej
audio school

Post by Deej » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm

I had a 319 years ago when you could get them at guitar center for $99. I was a total noob then and didnt know anything at all about recording. I didnt have it for very long, and as far as I can remember, it was a pretty dark sounding mic. I have been gassing for another one really bad lately though.
-deej

FBH
gettin' sounds

Re: Oktava 319. Thoughts?

Post by FBH » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:38 pm

spencerwalters wrote:I'm thinking about getting this mic soon. I'm mainly a musician/songwriter but I'm getting more into recording and I want to get something to replace my mxl 990. Are there any other mics you would suggest in this price range?
I've paid less than $100 each for my 319s, and I can't think of anything in that particular price range I'd rather have.[/u]

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 pm

Great mic for the price, and there are several places that can mod these. Check out the oktavamod site for details, sound clips and what not.

They are bit darker, or more acurately "less hyped," than similar priced condensor mics. I'd say without the mod a bit dark, and with the mod, fairly neutral and accurate. They are russian made with pretty decent components, and the standard capsules are much better than MXL's and other cheaper chinese mics. They really sound great on rootsy vocals, nylon stringed guitars, and kick drums, but are pretty versitile overall.

There are 2 other mics that I also like in the same price range.

The AKG perception 120, which is a bit more hyped, but fairly natural sounding. This is the first "pro" mic I bought....and it still gets some use for a alternative vocal or kick mic is needed.

The Audio Technica 2020 is decent too, and is pretty versitle as well. I like the AKG a bit more because of the pad and roll off.

For just a little bit more money, I'd look at the KEL audio mics. http://www.kelaudio.com/products.html. If you like the sound of large diaphram dynamics, but want a higher output look at the hm2d. I have a pair and I love them. My one issue is that since there isn't much in the headbasket there is a sibalance issue if you don't position is right. The hm1 is pretty decent and versitile as well. Great build quality on these mics, they look very well done on the inside as well. Only issue for me is that they ship from Canada and it took like 3 weeks to get here, but that has nothing to do with the mic itself.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I have a modded 319 and it sounds great, kind of like a slightly darker, less "open" but "tighter" U87 to my ears.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Great mics stock or modded. I would definitely recommend them.

A real easy mod you can do is remove the inner mesh and top mesh dome on the head basket. It opens up the sound some, giving a less boxy resonance to it. It gives a little more clarity and detail to the mic. All you need it some small needle nose pliers and just rip the stuff out. Pretty simple.

Either way awesome mic stock or modded.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I love my 319. People all over do say it's dark, but it's not so dark it sounds like it has a blanket over it. As ott0bot said, it's just less hyped. I like it on an acoustic guitar to counteract too much "plicky"ness from a really thin pick on new strings, for example. I got mine for $82 used on ebay. I've got more expensive mics now, but I definitely don't see myself selling it any time soon.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah, 319's cool. The low end can be a bit flubby, but I like it lots on acoustic guitar.

Deej
audio school

Post by Deej » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 am

Does anyone here know how much different the 219 and 319 sound?

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:16 am

Deej wrote:Does anyone here know how much different the 219 and 319 sound?
The 219 and 319 use the same capsule and circuit but have different headbasket designs. This gives the 219 a bit more lower midrange push while the 319 is a bit more open-sounding. Both are great mics, just slightly different.

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am

I paid $200 for a pair. They were okay. Then I sent them in to Michael Joly to be modded. Now they're awesome. I love 'em on overheads, smooth and accurate. i love 'em on acoustic guitars, on percussion, on guitar amps, on bass amps, you name it.

I buy mics, I use'em for a while, and then if I don't love them I sell them. I'll not sell my modded 319's, my SM7, or my Pearlman TM-1 ever, I don't think.

Chris
greetings from Flyover Country...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Oktava 319. Thoughts?

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:26 am

spencerwalters wrote:I'm thinking about getting this mic soon. I'm mainly a musician/songwriter but I'm getting more into recording and I want to get something to replace my mxl 990. Are there any other mics you would suggest in this price range?
A move sideways. The Oktava 319s are crap mics. Gauzy and dark sounding. Tight overall. Not detailed. For a condenser, they are a very weak example. The clips are of poor design too and I've seen more than one sheared off by the arm of the screw fitting.

Spend your money elsewhere. There are myriad good mics in the $100 to $200 price range that would perform better than the Oktava 319.

The Perception series mics from AKG would make great 'starter' mics. The Shure KSM 27 is a very good mic.