Good Converter: 2-channel Analog to Digital/vice versa

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Good Converter: 2-channel Analog to Digital/vice versa

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:00 am

Hello. Newb here.

I already posed this in another thread, but I'm not sure it got answered. I'm looking for a converter so I can do stereo mixdowns from my tape machine into Logic. Someone recommeneded the Apogee Duet. Is this what I'm looking for, or is there a better/more affordable way to achieve what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks all.
Love your new bananaskin shoulderpad,
Cody C. Gaisser
www.myspace.com/codygaisser

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 am

There aren't a lot of 2 channel A/D and D/A boxes out there.

Along with the Apogee Duet, there's the RME ADI-2.

After that, you are looking at either dedicate A/D or D/A converters like those from Mytek, Lucid, and Benchmark (all around $1000). There's also the Apogee Rosetta 200, but that's close to two grand. With all of these options except the Duet, you'll either need to connect the output to a mixer or a monitor solution like a Mackie Big Knob.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Sean Sullivan wrote: After that, you are looking at either dedicate A/D or D/A converters like those from Mytek, Lucid, and Benchmark (all around $1000).
Are you saying that apart from the Duet and the ADI-2, the other converters do either A/D or D/A but not both? Why would these cost $1000 being less functional? Is there something I'm missing? Am I maybe looking at the wrong pieces of equipment, or the wrong price range, or am I getting too specialized? Is there something else that will do what I need?
Sean Sullivan wrote: With all of these options except the Duet, you'll either need to connect the output to a mixer or a monitor solution like a Mackie Big Knob.
Does this mean that as long as I run from my tape machine, through a mixer, then into the converter, and then into the computer, I'm okay?

If
Cody C. Gaisser

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 pm

its not really clear what you are looking for.
Do you need an audio interface for you mac or an analog to digital converter to improve on what you are currently using?

There are a lot of A-D options and plenty of audio interface options.
I have no problem reccomending MOTU for mac users. Solid drivers and soudn good enough. Or for a bit more dough metric halo interfaces have great specs and sound really good.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:12 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:its not really clear what you are looking for.
Do you need an audio interface for you mac or an analog to digital converter to improve on what you are currently using?
I am recording through a console into a 16-track tape machine, and I intend to mix back through the console and into my Macbook, which has Logic. I'd love a 24i/o to take full advantage of Logic's editing capabilities, but it's not in the budget right now and it's a few tracks of overkill anyway. Since I can't do that, I'd like to just run the stereo outs of my mixer into my Mac so I can do some editing and mastering.

I have no experience with this kind of unit so I'm not the best at interpreting the specs. I've been to MOTU's site, but it seems like every box they have either does too little or too much - usually the latter.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a specific unit that will do what I need?

Thanks.
Cody C. Gaisser

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Dude, get thee to craigslist. I see used Motu 896, 24io and 828MKII's all the time. the grat thing about mou stuff is that is sounds okay stock, and stellar if you pony up for the BLA mod.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Dude, get thee to craigslist. I see used Motu 896, 24io and 828MKII's all the time. the grat thing about mou stuff is that is sounds okay stock, and stellar if you pony up for the BLA mod.
Which one of those units would be good for what I'm trying to accompolish? Given my setup, is there any point in me having more than 2 channels but less than 16?
Cody C. Gaisser

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:54 pm

yeah, well almost all modern interfaces by Motu, Maudio, Metric Halo etc can be used in multiples as an aggregate device. SO you can start with an 8/8 box and then get two more and be 24/24.
My setup is 17/6. I use the 6 outputs to drive 3 sets of monitors and switch between them in Logic.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:08 pm

So two 828's would give me 16 tracks of analog/digital digital/analog in/out? Slash.
Cody C. Gaisser

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

two 828s would give you that out of the box, plus they have another 10/10 digital in/out for outboard converters.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:27 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:two 828s would give you that out of the box, plus they have another 10/10 digital in/out for outboard converters.
Sorry. I don't follow.

EDIT:
Also would I have to sync them together somehow to match up the timing?
Last edited by AnalogousGumdropDecoder on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody C. Gaisser

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm

ok well an MOTU 828MKII has 8 analog ins and 8 analog outs. Plus it has spdif and adat format digital ins and outs, Adat adds another 8 spdif another 2 inputs and outputs each. So if you buy additional outboard conversion you would have 18/18 coming in thru your firewire.

AnalogousGumdropDecoder
pushin' record

Post by AnalogousGumdropDecoder » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:40 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Plus it has spdif and adat format digital ins and outs, Adat adds another 8 spdif another 2 inputs and outputs each.
Sorry, I am new to this stuff and am not familiar with what you're describing. What is "spdif" and what do you mean "Adat adds another 8 spdif another 2 inputs and outputs each"?

EDIT:
Also, what do you mean by ADAT? I associate that with those old tapes that were shaped like VHS.
Cody C. Gaisser

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 pm

What he means is that the Motu 828MKII (and many similar Firewire audio interfaces), in addition to analog inputs, also has some digital inputs. These inputs on the box are S/PDIF, which is basically a consumer grade digital stereo, and ADAT Lightpipe, which is an 8 channel optical (Toslink) interface. (The name ADAT originally did mean those Super VHS recording 8-track machines but now ADAT pretty much means ADAT Optical Interface to everyone.)

So perchance you bought yourself a Motu 828, you could also buy an 8 channel AD-converter that has ADAT out and connect that to your Motu 828. This would effectively give you 16 inputs into your computer. If you also bought a 2 channel AD-converter with S/PDIF out, you'd get two extra channels.

The reason why you might want to buy an ADAT-based converter, instead of another Motu 828 for daisy-chaining into the last one, is just a matter of choice. You might get one cheaper. You might get one with better preamps. You might want one because they play nice with all sorts of ADAT-connected gear, not just computers.

This whole thing is a question of money vs. quality vs. features. What features and level of quality do you want? How much money do you have to spend?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:18 am

I think you are looking for an interface, not a dedicated A/D and D/A converter. Companies like Lavry and Mytek make boutique quality converters, which is why they cost what they do. Like most things, you get what you pay for it.

I don't you what your budget is. If you just want a 2 channel interface, it sounds like a RME ADI-2 or Apogee Duet. If you want to be able to send all 16 tracks to your DAW, something like a MOTU will work best for you.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion