ITB vs. OTB Summing: Two questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

ITB vs. OTB Summing: Two questions

Post by williamsongs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 pm

I've been mixing either all ITB with a control surface, or all OTB on console and tape - until now. Now, trying to mix DAW outs on a console, so far so good, but two things come to mind

Question 1:
With creating stems in the DAW, such as a "stereo drums" stem, and sending various tracks to that output, isn't the DAW still doing some of its nefarious under the hood summing to create the stereo out? Aren't we trying to avoid that? Big deal or not?

Question 2:
If the DAW you use handles things at 32fp and all hardware adac's only do 24 bit, should all of the outputs from the DAW be dithered? Again, a big deal or not?

Thanks, I'm using Cubase SX and a Presonus Digimax FS DAC outputs to give 8 DAW outputs to a console.

Any thoughts, I appreciate them.

farview
tinnitus

Re: ITB vs. OTB Summing: Two questions

Post by farview » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:56 pm

williamsongs wrote:

Question 1:
With creating stems in the DAW, such as a "stereo drums" stem, and sending various tracks to that output, isn't the DAW still doing some of its nefarious under the hood summing to create the stereo out? Aren't we trying to avoid that? Big deal or not?
You are correct, but you can only do what you can with what you have. You will have to try it and see if the benefits of OTB summing have enough of an effect when you can only send a limited number of stems.
williamsongs wrote: Question 2:
If the DAW you use handles things at 32fp and all hardware adac's only do 24 bit, should all of the outputs from the DAW be dithered? Again, a big deal or not?
Technically, yes. But all the truncation garbage will be 50 or 60 db below the noise floor of the mixer you're sending it through. So the noise of the mixer will serve as enough dither to hide that.

The fact that most people will probably listen to it as an mp3 will also make dithering from 32 to 24 bit irrelevant as well.

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Awesome farview, thanks so much! That's exactly what I was thinking and hoping... That the noise floor of the outboard rig makes all these data questions silly.

As well, the ITB summing to create stems out seems OK when handled smartly.

All in all, a couple of small compromises for a hugely more productive work flow in my opinion anyway. I love it.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 pm

When I do mix otb (not that often), I will combine things like the bass tracks (DI and amp) or the guitar tracks ITB and bring them out as a stereo stem. (Each guitar performance has at least two mics and there are at least two or three performances) Same thing with backing vocals...

Combining stuff like that ITB isn't a big deal and doesn't really harm the mix.