Pissing Contest

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jcaudio
studio intern

Pissing Contest

Post by jcaudio » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 am

So here's a scenario. You've gained another trusting client. They want to start work on a project in your studio. Everyone in the band is pretty cool however the bass player seems to know a thing or two about recording. He's scrutinizing your every move, he's dropping names and rattling off equipment...seems disappointed you're using a Neumann mic. on xyz and mutters something about a Rode...he says something about recording at 96 kHz instead of 48 (or fill in the blank).

This is just a scenario, but believable enough, right? So how do you respond? What tack would you take with this person? I'd like to hear how some of you more polished players have managed this sort of scenario.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Figure out who is the decision maker in the band (hint: it's not the guy giving you grief) and explain how it affects the session.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pissing Contest

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:19 am

jcaudio wrote:So here's a scenario. You've gained another trusting client. They want to start work on a project in your studio. Everyone in the band is pretty cool however the bass player seems to know a thing or two about recording. He's scrutinizing your every move, he's dropping names and rattling off equipment...seems disappointed you're using a Neumann mic. on xyz and mutters something about a Rode...he says something about recording at 96 kHz instead of 48 (or fill in the blank).

This is just a scenario, but believable enough, right? So how do you respond? What tack would you take with this person? I'd like to hear how some of you more polished players have managed this sort of scenario.
Tell him to be the best bass player he can be and scrutinize his every move. That usually sorts out those types...in particular, be sure to scrutinize how well he locks in with the bass drum and the fundamental groove of each song. You'll find that he then has to concentrate so hard on how he's fucking up, that he'll stop pestering you.
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:41 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
jcaudio wrote:So here's a scenario. You've gained another trusting client. They want to start work on a project in your studio. Everyone in the band is pretty cool however the bass player seems to know a thing or two about recording. He's scrutinizing your every move, he's dropping names and rattling off equipment...seems disappointed you're using a Neumann mic. on xyz and mutters something about a Rode...he says something about recording at 96 kHz instead of 48 (or fill in the blank).

Tell him to be the best bass player he can be and scrutinize his every move. That usually sorts out those types...in partcular, be sure to scrutinize how well he locks in with the bass drum and the fundamental groove of each song. You'll find that he then has to concentrate so hard on how he's fucking up, that he'll stop pestering you.
+1

Be a pest... mirror the behavior, sometimes that works.

Otherwise talk to the MAN IN CHARGE.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

I love my Rode mics, but there's no way in hell I'd compare them favorably to a Neumann.

I had a similar problem years ago with a drummer in a band I was recording. His dad was a "producer." At least, he made that claim every hour on the hour. He pulled the same crap this bass player pulled.

I had the benefit of knowing who was in charge from the get-go. I had a word with those in charge after one session. The drummer was gone soon after that. Seems he'd been making a habit of pissing off his bandmates with this crap for a while.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

give him 6 beers.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Put a sign on the control room that says:

"No bass players allowed."

and then say stuff like:
"sorry man, studio policy."

or

"We'll lose our insurance if we don't follow it."

he'll probably get the picture.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:34 am

Put on Tad Donnelly videos in the lounge and start calling them "Newman's" and it'll be totally chill.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 am

"I got an M-Box"

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 am

noeqplease wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote: Tell him to be the best bass player he can be and scrutinize his every move.
+1

Be a pest... mirror the behavior
sorry, but isn't the original poster trying to avoid a pissing contest??

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 am

Piss on his foot.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:32 am

Usually the know-it-all isn't much of a threat to anything but your ego. If he wants to display his vast knowledge of recording gear, what's it to you? I used to intern for an engineer who was incredibly laid back yet intense in going about his work. It was amazing how he disarmed the "big personalities" by simply not engaging. Since he was so obviously not on any kind of ego trip, it seemed like people who would have otherwise been confrontational and/or annoying just gave him a pass.

So I guess what I learned from him is it can't become a pissing match if one contestant simply does not have to piss.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:09 am

^^^ +1 agree.

i've had a few of these types over the years, dudes who say things like "are you sure this is the best spot in the room for the drums?" or "your monitors are kind of far from the wall, are you sure that's where they sound best?" and other such things that make you want to smack them. i just smile and say "yes" and then play them something. once people hear their instrument playing back and sounding really good, they tend to trust you and shut up.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 am

yeah...i was just messing around before....

take the advice of those who know. MSE and Meathands speak wisely. if your setup and technique are solid...then just you nevermind and keep working in the way you know will yield the best results.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 am

why is it always the bass player that's the recording geek?