PT9 - let's replace our Digi 002's with something bitchin!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

PT9 - let's replace our Digi 002's with something bitchin!

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:09 pm

ok, maybe not... but you probably saw that Pro Tools 9 is out and if you own a Digi 002 or 002r (like me) then you were probably thinking the same... what bitchin interface could I (affordably) replace my digi with so that I get a better clock, better converters, more inputs/outputs and maybe other cool stuff? If it doesn't exist, then maybe someone will read this thread and build it for us. 8)

I know for myself I'd like at least two headphone outputs (like the 003) and I'd also really like two sets of monitor ouputs - I sometimes run a sub so it would be nice if that second set was switchable. I also need ADAT for my other 8 pres -- unless there is a groovy interface that already has 16 or more line inputs (then I could sell my RME ADI too I guess) that would be really cool. I sometimes use the 4 builtin pres but I could live w/o them. I do need at least one S/PDIF in/out - two might be nice. Two ADATs might be nice. Word clock in/out would be good to have just in case. MIDI is nice, but I have a USB/MIDI too. Firewire input is probably best, although its aging so maybe someone is going to USB3?

A couple I looked at quickly... The RME fireface 800, the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, or Pro 40?, Mackie Onyx ??, steinberg mr816csx, and I purposefully left off the Black Lion Audio because if I'm going to go spend more $$ then I was hoping maybe there is something off the shelf with support, warranty, etc that might be as good (or close) and costs less.

What else out there is viable? Or is there anything? What would you do?
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:43 pm

I've got the Saffire 56 and it's awesome.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi, I'm starting to look for a win 7 interface. I've been running a RME Hammerfall 9652 since they first came out over here. It's been great, but now the company refuses to write 64 bit drivers for it. Their logic on their forum is that we've gotten years of use out of them, and that now it's time to buy again. That really pisses me off. I've said a lot of good things about them in forums over the years, but no longer. There's no reason I should throw away a card I paid around $500 for back in the day. They have locked the discussions and threaten to remove any new discussions about it. I'll not buy again from a company with that attitude, I'm just funny that way. I'm looking at the Focusrite 56, now, but it will be a while into next year before I do anything, though the extra 4 gigs of DDR3 2000 (OC) ram I have on hand is screaming at me to go in with it's buddies :rofl:

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 pm

I have been thinking about this exact same thing all day every day since getting back from AES. I actually have the option of researching and hearing how other interfaces' mic pres, converters and word clocks compare with the 003's and 002's because we're finally free to use any ASIO or Core Audio compatible interface with Pro Tools? Holy shit-balls batman!

but seriously, if anyone has any 1st hand experience of comparing an 002r or 003r to interfaces like the saffire 56 or rme fireface stuff or anything else especially if knowledgeable about how their word clocks and converters compare, please.... do tell.

the best option might be to just buy and try and return the shit.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:38 pm

ricercar.record wrote: the best option might be to just buy and try and return the shit.
well, yeah... but that's why I was hoping maybe folks that had experience with other interfaces might chime in... maybe narrow it down to a few good candidates.
Mike

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 pm

what about adding a second interface, rather than replacing?

i'm thinking it would be cheap to add a really nice card with 2 or 4 balanced inputs and still have my 002r for full bands. since i can't afford an all new 18ch interface right now. then just rack up more pre's as i can afford them.

am i thinking wrong?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33 am

My BLA modded 002 is working just fine. A RME or Apogee could be in my future. It's nice to have a choice now.
Peace,
Kevin

red cross
buyin' gear

Post by red cross » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:41 am

I already have a Metric Halo 2882... but am loathe to upgrade to Snow Leopard to run PT 9...

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:22 am

Sculli wrote:My BLA modded 002 is working just fine. A RME or Apogee could be in my future. It's nice to have a choice now.
Peace,
Kevin
me too.

i love it!
www.gregsguitarlessons.com
Guitar Lessons & Studio

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:28 am

I bet there will be a bunch of new options in the next 6 months.
BLA should deffinately be making their own firewire interface with
all the stuff that everyone likes about their mod packages.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:35 am

I think it's wonderful.

PT is so easy to use, compared with all the other DAWs out there.

This will really change the DAW game for a lot of people.

I like their ability to print scores... without having to correct them endlessly like in Logic.

And being able to run this with better converters is definitely great.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 am

so does ASIO (or PT9) allow you to have multiple interfaces simultaneously? I have a digi 002r and I have an mbox2, so I like the idea of being able to move the iLok to the laptop and go mobile...

however, could I use two or three different firewire interfaces together? that may solve another issue I have with the 002 - since I'm using the ADAT to go to my RME converter, I'm limited to 44.1 or 48Khz sessions. Occiasionally I get a request for 96KHz. so it would be nice if I could use something like a mbox and then a couple of Rosetta 800's or if I hit the lottery, a pair of Prism Orpheus connected by firewire...
Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:03 am

digitaldrummer wrote:so does ASIO (or PT9) allow you to have multiple interfaces simultaneously? I have a digi 002r and I have an mbox2, so I like the idea of being able to move the iLok to the laptop and go mobile...

however, could I use two or three different firewire interfaces together? that may solve another issue I have with the 002 - since I'm using the ADAT to go to my RME converter, I'm limited to 44.1 or 48Khz sessions. Occiasionally I get a request for 96KHz. so it would be nice if I could use something like a mbox and then a couple of Rosetta 800's or if I hit the lottery, a pair of Prism Orpheus connected by firewire...
According to what I read, you can use any combination of hardware (aggregate device support in Apple OS) up to 32 channels of input and 32 channels of output.

So, it seems as though that is the case. I cannot speak for the PC users though.

One thing I do appreciate about my HD 192 IO is the digital card lightpipe IO, which does automatic conversion from any format to any higher format, for all 8 channels. So I can plug in a 48kHz max sample rate interface to that and use it to record 8 channels into a 96 kHz session. Nifty feature.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 am

noeqplease wrote:One thing I do appreciate about my HD 192 IO is the digital card lightpipe IO, which does automatic conversion from any format to any higher format, for all 8 channels. So I can plug in a 48kHz max sample rate interface to that and use it to record 8 channels into a 96 kHz session.
Cheers
I've never tried that on the 002r, but it may do the same... but an up-convert is still not the same as true sampling at 96Khz or 192Khz.

I am enjoying the "freedom" of having new options - even if I never use them. :wink:
Mike

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:50 pm

I was skeptical at first, but it looks like the Avid takeover was a good thing. IMO if they developed a firewire version of the HD converters, those things would sell like hotcakes. The new HD native line is a step in the right direction, but still seems really inflated.