PT9 - let's replace our Digi 002's with something bitchin!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

-3db
gettin' sounds

Post by -3db » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I read thru the what's new in PT9 and the overlapping channels are cool along with the internal and external output busses. They finally give the mp3 option included.

The production pack 2 is waaay too expensive. But if you want interchangeability with HD you'll pay the price.

M-box and LE are gone. Legacy now. And all that nice HD hardware is legacy.
Um excuse me, these headphones aren't working...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 am

To the OP:
So bassically what you want is a 003r, but with better convertors? It has all the options you said you needed. I'm thinking the BLA mod would be your best choice. I have a stock 003r and my friend has the BLA modded 003r and the difference is pretty huge. The preamps and nice and clear with much improved headroom, the conversion is was better and has a wider sweet spot (as in, you have to worry much less about the input level you are recording at.), and the clock is really solid, so other gear can be slaved to it and improve their performance.

Otherwise I think you'll be looking at a big price jump for getting those features with a vast improvement in conversion. The RME is good, but I'm not sure it's so vastly better than the 003 that it will blow your mind. Right now I use a Lynx Aurora 8 for my adat input on my 003r and it's such a big improvement, that I only use the 003's convertors for scratch tracks. If you used one of those, or a Rosetta, you'll have to buy the firewire option, then you have use channel 1 and 2 as your dedicated d/a with a passive volume controller in between you and the interface and the speakers. You'd have to buy a monitor controller for mulitiple speakers too, and you'll need a heaphone amp for muliple outs. Thats why I'll probably keep the 003r and the lynx set up. There are very few occasions where i need more than 8 tracks of high quality a/d at one time, so it's all good. Maybe you need more tracks?

The only other interface that is sub HD that has what you need plus vastly improved convertors would be the Prism Orpheus, but for the price...you could just pick up a used HD system. Still...I'm anticipating new interfaces will come out that'll be suited toward PT9, so it may be a good idea to wait and see what comes out in the next year or so.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I am also hoping that someone will come up with something that is better and more affordable. Avid has opened the doors so it could happen in the next 6 months or so I would think. Something tells me Avid is probably close to a Digi003 replacement soon too...

And yes, I want at least 16 channels. Sometimes its just me, sometimes its a whole band. I've got some nice pres so I don't really need any built in, but I do need the monitoring section (monitor outs, headphones, volume control, etc.). If I could get all that and 16 line inputs/outputs with a decent A/D/A and clock I would be happy as a possum in a dumpster.

I guess what I'm really looking for is an HD Native at a lower price point. :wink:

So I'll probably just carry on with my 002r...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:52 am

here's a thought. PT9 up and running now. it sees my 002r and my line6 UX2 but only one at a time.

is there a way to get it to use the inputs of UX2 at the same time as my 002r?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:48 am

here's a thought. PT9 up and running now. it sees my 002r and my line6 UX2 but only one at a time.

is there a way to get it to use the inputs of UX2 at the same time as my 002r?
Looks like the closest it gets is being able to combine the 002r I/O and the computers built-in I/O using the "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" option in the new playback engine dialog box. THIS IS MAC ONLY though.
... it all starts with a song ...

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 am

Important question (for me, anyway): is it 32 outputs AND 32 inputs that can be used simultaneously? Or just 32 inputs and/or outputs total?

I ask because I own 24 channels of Tango 24s. Right now in Cubase, I record up to 24 tracks (full band sessions) while simultaneously using 14 outputs (six stereo headphone mixes for the musicians + stereo mains). That's 38 i/o channels at once.

Do I have to buy the 2 grand PT HD package to do this? Can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere (including the PT Web site).
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 pm

32 In and Out simultaneous with PT 9. You don't have to buy the toolkit for it.
I record up to 24 tracks (full band sessions) while simultaneously using 14 outputs (six stereo headphone mixes for the musicians + stereo mains). That's 38 i/o channels at once.
Think your math is a little fuzzy. With 24 in and 14 out, you're only using 14 full I/O pairs with an additional 10 inputs with no related outputs.

Aj
pushin' record

Post by Aj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 pm

jziggy314 wrote:Think your math is a little fuzzy. With 24 in and 14 out, you're only using 14 full I/O pairs with an additional 10 inputs with no related outputs.
Ack, I think the problem is how I'm saying it... hard to express in words.

I think you got it though: I'm using 24 inputs (actually, occasionally 26 when I add the SPDIF on my RME card) while SIMULTANEOUSLY sending out headphone & monitor mixes on 7 stereo pairs of outs. I do this using 3 Tango 24s going into my RME HDSP 9652 card (and it's TotalMix mixer app).

So, just to be clear, I could still do all this with the basic version of Pro Tools 9? All at once without hitting the 32 in/out limit?
Latest single from Druckman Bros. here

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:46 am

yep

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:13 pm

anyone have any experience with the Motu 24io? or a couple of the 828mk3s? I see that BLA does offer an "analog path" upgrade for these. its not clear if that upgrades the clock too or not.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:anyone have any experience with the Motu 24io? or a couple of the 828mk3s? I see that BLA does offer an "analog path" upgrade for these. its not clear if that upgrades the clock too or not.
I have the Motu 828mk3. Black Lion still does not have a mod for that model, at least not as of this week.

However I would not touch mine.

There are far more important things that go into a production than just better converters.

I should test it tomorrow with my laptop running PT9 HD...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

jziggy314
ass engineer

Post by jziggy314 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:13 am

Basic setup at my studio is:
toft atb16
003 console
rosetta 800

For the moment we are going to stick with what we've got. I'm super excited about expanding our track count from 16. However, I haven't figured out yet how to do it without either completely changing our cue system or spending a load on a replacement for the toft. Not to mention the additional converters involved as well.

So I'm gonna wait. Wait, save money, and plan.

On the upside, my partner was foresighted when he bought the "Complete Production Toolkit" when it came out. Said he spent $400-$500 on it at the time. The upgrade to 2 is automatic. No additional funds required. :)

tomberdude
pushin' record

Post by tomberdude » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:20 am

This thread makes me happy. I don't think I'll be parting with ways with my BLA002r, though I will be looking for a pci(e) card that will get 2 Apogee AD8000s in and out. Anyone going this route or something similar? What companies are doing this the best?

-RL

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:46 pm

red cross wrote:I already have a Metric Halo 2882... but am loathe to upgrade to Snow Leopard to run PT 9...
Is here some issue you are aware of with Snow Leopard? In my experience it is stable and also offers some nice performance improvements since there is less legacy code in the os.
Or do you have plug ins that you dont want to have to re-auth?
When I did Snow I had to re-install Logic and a few 3rd party plugs said they had soiled their diapers.
Also, Snow is only 64bit if you CPU is capable. Eg core duo systems like early intel Mac Minis are still 32 bit under Snow. an i5 or Core 2 Duo will have many system components running full 64, as well as the ability to boot into a 64 bit kernel.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

DCrippa
ass engineer

Post by DCrippa » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:26 am

WoW that saffire 56 certainly looks tempting! The other option I started to consider was the RME UFX - haven't seen any mentions of it here.

I do remember reading one caveat about PT9 and using other interfaces - something about not being able to go to the higher sample rate with third party gear? Is this true?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.