computer rig questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

waxboyDS
audio school

computer rig questions

Post by waxboyDS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 pm

Hey guys, I used to come on Tomb all the time, but had to create a new account, anyway - glad to be back!

Im running an old rig though, and im looking to upgrade.
Still using the busted ole mbox with pro tools 6.7. Im used to how it works though and havent had much of a need to upgrade. although, im now looking to upgrade my pc this weekend, just wanted some input.

I now have a P4 single processor, 2.3 ghz, 2 gigs of ram.

I am looking at just buying a new motherboard this weekend with a new cpu, the AMD athlon dual core 3.0 ghz, and getting 4 gigs of ram.
I dont have the money yet to upgrade my PT LE rig, but should the old mbox and pro tools still work with this?

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Are you sure you need to upgrade the motherboard? Are there any open RAM slots? If not, can you swap out the 1GB sticks for 2GB sticks? Also, unless you are running 64-bit windows, the most your system will utilize is less than 3 gigs of ram.

To be honest, it seems like that right should still be pretty powerful. Have you optimized other things such as having a lot of free HD space and using two drives: one for audio files and one for programs?
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 am

ummm an intel based motherboard will not take an AMD cpu. so yea, he's got to upgrade.

but if you're planning to run protools, i recommend sticking with intel. amd is not really supported (last i checked) and you have to be careful what motherboard you get cause some of them aren't compatible.

you also need to think about the operating system. if you're sticking with pt 6.7 you can't upgrade to a 64bit os, so your computer won't see more than the first 3.2-ish gb of ram no matter how much you put in there.

i think you should do a bigger upgrade than you originally planned. maybe wait and save up 'till you can do the whole intel cpu, motherboard, ram, win7 64bit and PT9. ??
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:44 am

I'd avoid AMD, get a cheaper Intel dual core if you have to but not AMD.
Do you already have SATA hard drives? You're going to want that as well if you don't...

waxboyDS
audio school

Post by waxboyDS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:55 am

thanks guys.

Yeah, i can do a max of 4 gigs ram in my current machine, but I kinda knew my OS wouldnt even use that much anyways.
I wont be upgrading PT for a little while, and Ive got the itch to get some upgrades done this weekend - so PC it is!

I was on the fence about AMD and intel, so Ive been swayed into an Intel chip. I dont have sata drives... never used em. whats the bonus for using a SATA drive?

thanks again!

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Have you taken a look at your processor usage while mixing? That would give you an idea if a processor upgrade is worthwhile.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

waxboyDS
audio school

Post by waxboyDS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm

i havent actually looked into the task manager or anything, but im using a lot more plugins than i used to now.

I can barely run things now with hiccups and just not even starting to play a song due to running out cpu power. cant remember the error, but ive tried messing with my pc settings, turning things off, changing the buffer etc... but i like the way the songs sound with the plugins im using, and dont want to make sacrifices just cause its easier - though i dont have a LOT of money to work with.

id imagine a 2.6 dual core intel could do the job, but thats what i was asking you guys for! :P

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 pm

sata is a TON faster and doesn't use ribbon cable like IDE.
-Justin Newton

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

I can't imagine why you wouldn't get an AMD. I used to run intels only, but my last 4 cpu's have all been AMD. Currently running an X2 550 dual core 3.1 ghz @ 3553, 4 gigs DDR3 1600 on an Asus M4N75TD with 750 w antec ps, 2 x UAD1 pcie, 1 x pci powercore, RME 9652, a pcie parallel port card for my MTPAV, and an Nv 8600GT video card. I plan to upgrade to the T1090 six core cpu and a faster video card. I'm running sata 3 WD Black 640 for tracking and a WD Blue 320 for system, along with a pair of USB external storage drives and a Lite on DVD/CDRW. Everything is very stable, and it just blazes. Every Amd system I own still runs perfectly, and all of them are running stable overclocks, all the way back to an xp 2200. I got over waving the intel flag and started enjoying the benefits of saving a lot of money.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 pm

the concern is not with AMD. the computer i'm on now is built with AMD and it's been solid for more than 5 years.

the concern is protools and AMD.

i just did a quick search and it seems that some AMD chips are somewhat tested with protools.. find a compatibility list.

ether manufacturer will give you a quality part but AMD parts are cheaper cause they are less powerful.
-Justin Newton

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Protools isn't the audio world in a basket. Intel may beat AMD on some tests created for video or gaming, but not on all of them, and the tests are not run at the clock rates the users really run them at, but rather at the stock speeds. Amd chips run at 10 to 15% over rated speeds on the OEM air cooler, with great reliabilty, at a cash savings of usually around 30% less than the cost of the next speed higher rated chip. Some of the dual and tri core chips can be unlocked to quads. The word on the powercore forums and website is that they will not run on multiprocessor amd systems. That is a total lie. There is a lot of total bull on the internut, and most of it because people don't know what they don't know, but are willing to pontificate on speculation. I have run my TC card on both a M4N72-E and the M4N75TD mother boards. The key is the chipset of the motherboard, not the processor. There are other brands of mobos out there with the 750a chipset, and though I haven't tested them, (I'll spread a rumor, here :rofl: because I haven't heard a good one since yesterday) I'm betting they will run it just fine. The difference in the 2 Asus boards is mostly the ram, DDR 2 vs DDR 3 in the order I've listed them. There are a lot of motherboards out there, and if Protools won't run, more than likely it's a chipset issue, just like the powercore cards, and has nothing to do with the processor; it's a system. I don't care to do the research, but I could. I could just care less about Protools, there are so many truly capable DAW'S out there, and in the end, everything can be made to work. So, you don't know enough to make this work?...well do the research, and become a more capable engineer. As an Engineer, you should be able to overcome simple obstacles, and design a method to overcome any problems in your path. Cinch up your diapers, gas it and GO.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:02 am

tldr

the OP is using protools. that's why i brought it up
-Justin Newton

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 pm

it wasn't anything personal, but this is a personal fav...kma

From Sweetwater Sweetcare Article # 30083 "Some dual-core processors are inherently incompatible with Pro Tools. However, there are usually fixes available for these. According to Digidesign, if you use a dual-core processor by AMD, you will need to:
? Download and install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer from http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 18,00.html "

Looks like SIS chipsets are out, but the lack of information on 9 at the Avid site is as bad as the sites' organization and speed. If the program is anything like the site, I just can't imagine why anyone would use it. The optimizer isn't available from AMD, so that appears to be a dead issue. The real issue would be the lack of testing and/or information from Avid.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:38 pm

hi, I'm not a computer guy but I play one at my day job.
Intel is boring and lame but unfortuantely when you call/email support they STILL pull the (we only support Intel on Intel motherboards. It is a cop out yes.
Unless you are very good at computers just get an intel for this reason alone. AMD is a much better value when you include the cost difference in motherboards etc. It also seems that the "enthusiast" amd boards are kinda nicer.
That intel P4 is kinda old and they run hot and slow. I would maybe check to see what other chips are drop in replacements on that same motherboard.
We recently upgraded some of our desktops from p4 hairdryers to core 2 quads. You will need a bios upgrade possibly and a ram upgrade for sure. Not ins size though. In speed. P4s used DDR533 (or worse) core 2 quads want to see 1066 or 1300 ram. Again, check the manufacturer website for what chips can fit. You may be able to cop a bottom of the barrel 4 core with 2 gigs of ram.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:32 am

that might be an option. on the other hand if you're getting a new CPU and RAM a new motherboard with them might be a good idea too. just about where you want to draw the line, money wise.

the core 2 quad is a pretty good chip. that's what's in my DAW right now. (Q6600) it runs well and handles protools nicely with 4gb of ram behind it. nothing too speacial.

but if you decide to spring for a new motherboard also, you can do quite a bit better than the core 2 quad. that chip is really only two core 2 duo chips printed on the same die, connected through a front side bus. so make sure you use the fastest ram you can (like calaverasgrandes was saying) cause that will determine the speed at which the two halfs of the CPU talk to each other, not just ram speed.

and @mrc: sorry if you thought i was being rude. my eyes glaze over when protools hating comes out and this thread isn't a "should i stick with protools" it's a "how should i upgrade the computer i run protools on". so i stopped reading after the first sentence.
-Justin Newton