computer rig questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:46 pm

jntracks, I'm sorry for my misunderstanding. It's not that I'm a pro tools hater, I would consider using it when they open the doors wide open. What I dis-like about the brand is the way they've done business, mac only, our hardware only, all the way down the line, slowly opening the door, but only a crack at a time, as the competition closed in on them. It's very obvious that programs can run cross platform, with every feature available, so there is only one real explanation for each step they've taken. I'll soon be abandoning my much beloved RME 9652 I've had since they first got here in the states, because the company will not write 64 bit drivers for it. I will not be replacing it with any RME products. I had been considering adding another system with one of their new high end units, and running 64 bit for my portable studio with the hammerfall, but now I'll just abandon the RME upgrade in favor of another manufacturer. In my estimation, the attitude and character of a company far outweighs it's quality product's price point. There are so many competitve choices for nearly everything we use every day, we can and should hold companies accountable for their business practices.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm

well i think it's the industry leader because it's the best. far and away. the industry as a whole agrees. but nobody is forcing anybody to use it.

when was protools mac only?
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 pm

You know, you're right 8) It was called Audiomedia. Sorry I don't remember every little detail as it went. I played guitar and sang in bars during high school, and started at a college radio station in 70. The next year I got my FCC 3rd class engineers license (which meant I could touch the volume knob while on air), somehow, I don't think we are at the same place.
You can change your name, but not your blood line. http://www.epromfoundry.com/home/?page_id=701
I'm not opposed to advances, in fact I'm much in favor of them; however, I don't think P.T. is the best thing since sliced bread, though it's been promoted better. Life is too short to get caught up in waving flags.
I'm through with this, it's a waste of my time. Corporate/political publicity/promotion/doublespeak has become the language of artifical reality which has become the language/war of our time, I find it amazing.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm back wih a bit more info for you. I honestly don't get it when you say I'm pro tools hating, that's just software, and hardware is as it is as well. I've held an engineer title for well over half of my life, though I've worked in more than one disciplines. I just prefer one that really pays, so when I retire shortly, I can run my studio as I wish, without worry. Software is nothing to get worked up over. I'm not a PT basher, but I am a corporate basher, of corporations that hold up artifical rulers to measure our qualifications to run their software. I own more than one corporation, and exclucivisty is not one of our strategys. I just can't imagine why you would get mad about me talking about some of the problems with PT. Other corporations have no problem with cross platform or multiconfiguration studios, so what other than the most obvious behind closed doors reason does the current owner of the francise have? Maybe that should turn your head, as well.
Last edited by mrc on Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:23 pm

I don know about pro tools being the best. There are numerous examples of not "THE BEST" becoming the de facto standard.
Is MS Office the best? Not if you liked Word Perfect.
Is Photoshop the best? Not by far.
Pro Tools didnt even really do midi until not too long ago. It only just got plug in delay compensation? It is also not winning much praise for the quality of its converters.
So how is it the best again?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 pm

it just has nothing to do with the thread. i don't care what you use. i hope the OP got their question answered cause this is off on something else now.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

john67
audio school

Re: computer rig questions

Post by john67 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 am

it is neccesary to upgrade your mother board.......