Gtr doubling Fail, help?!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Dan Rosato wrote:
Another option is to record the double with a slightly different tone (overdriven, echo, different guitar/amp combo) and keep the gtr tracks in the same panning positon (i.e. 20% L), then double both tracks, and put them on the other side (20% R). This may give a more consistent sound to the effect and will surely give the section a little lift.
Hey Dan, so if you did this would you employ the "pushing one side up by a few ms" trick or just straight out double exactly the same?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Gtr doubling Fail, help?!

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 pm

jaguarundi wrote:The issue, i'm a little rusty, it's been a while since I tracked and mixed and I was never especially good at it but after my first attempt yesterday, i thought i'd come here for advice cause all songs sound terriblely unnatural where the new gtr comes in in the later part of the song.

Thanks in advance!

Adam
I don't know if anyone has addressed this comment yet...

What about your performance is not good to you? You mention only one attempt. Attempt some more, I say.

Maybe just practicing a few more times to nail a good doubled performance is all you need.

I have always found this is much much better than plug ins or copy and pasting...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:57 pm

A few times when I have recorded very stripped down bands like that, in their rare moments of heavyness I usually also ramp up the drums, maybe entroducing a heavyily limited room mic or bring up the compression bus if I'm using one. If you don't want to do that, I would try doubling the new track. Have the original track stay centered the whole time, and have the punch up tracks hard l/r.
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:44 am

Another thing worth trying (if you haven't already) is have some added 100% wet reverb from each hard panned guitar hard panned to the opposite side of where the instrument is. That's something that's gelled hard panned things that weren't working for me in the past.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:00 pm

DrummerMan wrote:Another thing worth trying (if you haven't already) is have some added 100% wet reverb from each hard panned guitar hard panned to the opposite side of where the instrument is. That's something that's gelled hard panned things that weren't working for me in the past.
holy crap! ok tons of great ideas, i can't wait to get back in there and start playin around thanks dudes!

for starters keeping the main gtr centered and having 2 new ones hard L and R come in sounds like a good starting point for these tracks.

also i love the idea of having a parallel compressed drum track maybe comin in at the same time for added effect, that's awesome.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I like using a capo on a doubled guitar and playing the same chords as the main guitar but with different voicings. Like capo up 3 frets and your cowboy chord A Major shape is really a C, and if it's doubling a non-capo'd guitar that is playing a C it sounds huge

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:38 am

Agree that capos are great on doubled guitars but I like that for acoustic stuff better. In a situation like yours, I like to do more with less usually. I will have the main guitar in the center and then add 2 doubles to pan when the I want things to get bigger and wider leaving the original main center but possibly reducing the level. Often, I will cheat and duplicate the doubled track and then nudgea few MS/eq/or compress differently. A good phase adjustment can also work. Maybe move the mic around a bit(further out or closer) for the second doubled track. I don't like to overdub too many guitars myself. I like to keep it simple enough that I don't end up creating more work for myself when mixing. Also, too many overdubbed guitar layers can make the part get smaller instead of bigger. There a great example of the 3 rockin' electric guitars kicking a song in on the first song on this: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/space- ... d260866412

This entire EP was done in a couple of days so it's not my best work and is kind of experimental but only musically so and not on the track I'm speaking of. The engineering is very basic. I just checked and the preview doesn't have the intro. :( If you don't want to buy the first track, I can post a sample later if interested.

jaguarundi
gettin' sounds

Post by jaguarundi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 am

getreel wrote: If you don't want to buy the first track, I can post a sample later if interested.
cool, would love to hear it.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

You could try the original guitar panned to one side with a room mic or wet reverb on the other side to balance it, and then bring in the 2nd guitar on the reverb side. I've had luck with this approach, especially in situation where the 2nd guitar is coming in and out of the mix.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:11 am

I'll post that clip soon. I just need time to find the file and I'm busy with work this week so far.