Re Ipods and my Luddite opinions thereof (My I-Podick rant)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re Ipods and my Luddite opinions thereof (My I-Podick rant)

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Inspired by here, I didna wanna go more OT in that thread:

Besides the *.mp3/etc. thing, even if you are using 320kps or *.wav, I still don't care for the players that much.

My daughter has a IPod, and, my son has some generic thing that looks exactly like it, except it's half the price, has a better display, and ya load it just by dragging to it like a separate drive, keeping the albums in their own folders, no computer prog necessary and built-in player software you needn't install or update.

I like his 100% better.

Butt still, I make a CD, I keep the CD, I grab the CD I made to hear it, or one of the thousands I bought, I lend it out, I move it around ....

A CD costs less than a dollar to make, and burns at 48x, what is quicker than ripping and loading through I-tunes.

With a commercial CD I look at the artwork and and reference the notes, I hand it to my friend to hear, I put it back on the shelf until I wanna hear it again, and then I play it on my Discman or any other player in/about the house (studio, back yard, garage, bathroom, living room, kitchen or any of the bedrooms, etc.), it's its own back-up (more or less), if the batteries on the player run down I can easily switch to a different player, and if I'm ever held hostage in my own house I can sharpen the edges and make killer frisbees.

IPods, on the other hand, run out of power, are a PITA to load, are easily lost, tend to encourage compressed shitty-sounding files that I don't wanna borrow, have awkward or no ability to give liner notes and art, are more difficult to transfer songs from, and would seem easily swallowed on especially drunken nights.

Yay, I am a Luddite.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KoffeeKommando
gettin' sounds

Post by KoffeeKommando » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:12 pm

100% right on.

"The Future Sucks"

That one's free guys.....

:P

The marketing of these devices (ipod,cellphone,smartphone etc.) is the really disgusting part. New models every 15 minutes, toss the old one out.

If they were durable and high quality that would be one thing. The companies selling them are just in it for the "grab the cash now" factor. No electronic device these days is going to function 5 years from now. Sad. Disposable culture.

*end rant*

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:22 pm

I might like my ipod (2nd gen nano) more if it didn't sound so bad. Listening to the same file with the same headphones through my firepod (fancy fancy...bleh) vs. my ipod the difference isn't subtle.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:53 pm

I have a 4th gen 8GB nano and that thing is the best invention evah! Seriously.

I listen to it 4-5 hours a day at work and its enabled me to discover and re-discover a lot of great music that I wouldn't have otherwise had time to listen to. The covenience factor of using shuffle mode, playlists, artists, albums, etc. is through the roof.

Right now it has ~1700 songs and my strategy is "all killer, no filler". I constantly add new stuff and delete what I don't like. The goal is "wow, that was a great song! that was a great song! THAT WAS A GREAT SONG!". It puts me in a good mood and passes the time nicely.

The sound quality might be slightly less than a cd but it hasn't been a deal-breaker for me (maybe I'm deaf). For example, I have the Elvis 30 #1 Hits cd and clarity is such that it feels like you are standing in the room listening to them play the songs live.

Anyways, enough blathering. Long live the ipod!
my band: Mission 5

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 am

I still haven't installed fucking iTunes on this computer. I had it on my old one. So, I can't change jack-diddley on my iPod until I do. Problem is, iTunes is a mutherfucker, piece of shit, aggressive piece of software. It's going to hose all my file associations, put in all kinds of update thingies and polling software that's going to run constantly in the background and slow my computer down. You have to be wide awake and click on every little "advanced" or "custom" install thing you see in order to avoid it. Last time I installed Quicktime and then quickly uninstalled it, I actually sent an email to steve.jobs@apple.com to complain about how aggressive the installer is. Grabbing every file possible. I wish I had a drag and drop player. Proprietary software bugs the hell out of me. Proprietary gadgets are even worse. Every time I see any new player, phone, whatever, I think to myself "Future E-waste".

/rant
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 am

i always thought the ipod trend was pure conspicuous consumption until i actually got one (well, i got one for my girlfriend first). but i love mine. if it brings music into my life more often, and a greater variety of music too, then it's a good thing. there were CD's that i hadn't touched in years that i'm more apt to listen to since they're a fingertip away on my ipod. yeah, itunes can be a hassle sometimes but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:44 am

Lemme say again, if ya gotta use a player like that, look for a generic one, much cheaper and don't need the I-Tunes prog.

But me? My Discman (mebbe my 5th in 15 years) just fizzled; I hate paying extra for Sony, but their anti-skip feature is the best, so here goes another US$50.00. But I'm hard on 'em - use it 5 days a week, twice a day, between 1-4 discs a day as I walk the mile between office and train, and on the train, etc. I sometimes use it in my truck ... :shock: I even use rechargeable batteries.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:08 am

I love my iPod. OK, it's not the absolute reference best sound quality. Not that that really matters when I'm wearing earbuds on the train or something, eh?

What it does for me is it has nearly my entire CD collection. I used to hate having to pick a stack of CDs for a trip, and then not having one I wanted halfway through the drive. Now I've got them all, and listen to the obscure stuff much more often. Like yesterday at work - ended up putting on Danny Elfmann's soundtrack for "Planet of the Apes", because I was scrolling through titles and there it was! The actual CD back at home probably has an inch of dust on it by now.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 am

I love listening to vinyl for both the sonics and the ritual. And, I love my iPods. I cannot even fathom ever having any nostalgia for, or desire to revisit the CD as a delivery medium. I occasionally buy a CD from a band on tour. But, I only do that if the CD is the only merch they have. If they have t-shirts, I just buy one of those and then go home and download the album from iTunes, eMusic, or Bandcamp.

Stacks of CDs everywhere, cracked jewel cases, digipaks with a broken tray, scratched discs, skipping, etc... No thanks. And, good riddance.

As far as whether or not iPods and iTunes are good products.... I have never, ever had an issue with iTunes on Mac. Never. It doesn't run in the background while I'm working. It doesn't cripple anything else I need to use my computer for. It just organizes my media in a sensible way, and provides me with a super simple, elegant interface for enjoying my media. Maybe it's a miserable experience on Windows or something? Or, maybe some people just gotta hate what's popular. But, somehow, iTunes and the iPod have become the most popular media app and device in the world. Maybe all of those people are suckers??

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:23 am

I think this thread did raise one interesting point. The DAC in these units is not good at all. I can easily A/B this fact using the same mp3 files, directly comparing my iPhone's DAC vs. my Dangerous DAC, through the same speakers, cabling, etc. As stated before, the difference is not subtle at all. It is in fact, kind of depressing.

Now. Everyone's discussed WAV vs FLAC vs mp3 320kbps vs 192 kbps ad nauseum. But if you're listening through an inferior DAC, I believe that can be just as nasty a difference.

One of the great things about vinyl is there is no goddamn DAC.

Anyway. Back to the "future sucks" point. American families used to huddle around the radio and listen to stories told over the airwaves at night, probably with a fire burning and not a fucking television. Sounds fun, right? Nothing's to stop you from doing that now, but for the most it's just not the world we live in anymore.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:37 am

Portable Player Headphone Amp roundup :D

"OK, so now it?s now 53 amps! NOTE: I have decided to change the way the rankings work. I have created LEVELS, rather than individual ranks. As before, note that the sum of the "Grades" I give does not always tell the whole story in how I rank them, since the whole is sometimes greater or lesser than the sum of the parts, and I am often forced to split hairs here, since the list has gotten so long. Also please note that even if these amps include a DAC, that DAC performance was NOT a factor in these rankings AT ALL. Also, for clarification, this ranking is based on sound quality ONLY, and does not take things like size or battery life into account.

Level 1:

Triad Audio Lisa III @ $600.00; Power supply is $350 additional

MST Fi.Quest, @ $450 (Review here)

Meier Audio Stepdance @ $350 (Review here)

Ray Samuels Audio The Protector (in BALANCED mode only), @ $475 (Review here)

Level 2:

Qables iQube @ $605.00
RSA Mustang P-51 (review here) @ $375.00
Larocco Audio Pocket Reference II mk 2 (availability unknown - PLEASE read entire review)

Level 3:

Headamp Pico @ $349.00
Meier Audio 2MOVE (and the older MOVE) (3MOVE @ $270.00)
iBasso Audio D4 Mamba @ $219 (Review Here )
RSA SR71 @ $395.00 (original SR71, not the SR71A)
RSA The Predator @ $475.00
RSA The Hornet ?M? @ $370.00

iBasso Toucan @ $229 (Review here )

Level 4:

Decware Zenhead @ $295.00
Xenos 1HA-EPC (discontinued)
RSA Tomahawk @ $295.00
Meier Audio XXS / Headsix @ $166.00/187.00

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:42 am

My iPod costs roughly 1/15 of what my main DAC costs. It also includes a flash drive, an operating system, a high-definition display, a platform for apps, a phone, a web browser, a high-res camera, etc...

Perspective.

iPods and 320kbps MP3 files are perfectly fine fidelity for a consumer playback system. Comparing them to studio gear is completely missing the point. I've never really heard anyone making the case that iPods or mp3 files are suitable for critical listening environments or for delivery of final masters.

To put it further into perspective, that radio that people crowded around was mono. And, the music/shows that they were listening to were being broadcast in super high-fidelity AM RADIO FORMAT!!! ;)

People listen to the music that they want to listen to more now than ever before in the history of time. We should celebrate this, rather than getting worked up about HOW they listen to it, and what it all means. NOTHING HAS REALLY CHANGED. We still obsess over the fine, intricate details of sound. And, then the listener makes a quality/convenience judgement. I'm just glad that they're listening at all. They could be playing video games or facebooking.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 am

subatomic pieces wrote:...

Perspective.

amen.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:50 am

Hey. I hope I made myself clear. I wasn't making a point "portable players are good/bad because...." I was just adding observations to the discussion, while purposefully trying to avoid that kind of sweeping judgment. You're right, everything has its place. I think the discussion moves forward with better momentum if we avoid "GOOD! NO! BAD!" type qualifications. I don't wanna get into that with you guys.

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 pm

I think making the the comparison of my ipod to my firepod probably disguised my real point (especially since I don't think my firepod sounds particularly good). I just think the sound is lacking. Better alternatives do exist - recently I was given an iriver from a friend who had just gotten an iphone. I am enjoying it much more then my ipod. I think it sounds better and I'm enjoying being free from itunes. I've also heard that Cowon makes some really good sounding stuff - but that's just hearsay - so disregard that.

Although I recognize that what makes the ipod desirable is primarily that it allows you to be mobile with a massive amount of music (and it's slick marketing...) I really would appreciate if more effort was put into making it sound better. Considering that ipods are getting progressively more advanced in many other respects (video, wifi etc...) it would be great if that same sort of development could be oriented towards making the ipod sound really good.