Client wants raw .wav tracks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 am

cross post! Aquaman said it better than I did.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Client wants...

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am

subatomic pieces wrote:If someone hires you to write and record a jingle, you would want it spelled out up front that they intend to take all of the individual tracks, so that they may change the content, or produce additional content, using the parts that you created. I would certainly expect to be paid more for this than for simply delivering a jingle. But, as was mentioned, these things are typically handled on a work for hire basis, where the ownership of the designs/songs/etc. and the component parts used to create them, goes to the company rather than the artist.
Some degree of this is actaully common and expected in the jingle world.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:33 am

Understood, guys, but there's a subtext that's too long to go into here. She ruined the business relationship, and the no work-for-hire thing was just the sprinkles on the icing on the crap cake.

As to jingles, when I do them, I have done a bunch of mix-outs along with a 30 and 60-second spot, and the client gets all of that. If they wanted tracks or stems (never happened and probably never will with my small business/non-corporate clients), I suppose we could work that out, but you're right, that would cost more. What I do usually to avoid the "either/or" WfH situation, is give them a contract specifying a particular territory that they "own"/can use the jingle in (but we retain rights to the composition and master recording for syndication purposes).

GJ

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:54 pm

cgarges wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:If someone hires you to write and record a jingle, you would want it spelled out up front that they intend to take all of the individual tracks, so that they may change the content, or produce additional content, using the parts that you created. I would certainly expect to be paid more for this than for simply delivering a jingle. But, as was mentioned, these things are typically handled on a work for hire basis, where the ownership of the designs/songs/etc. and the component parts used to create them, goes to the company rather than the artist.
Some degree of this is actaully common and expected in the jingle world.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
That's exactly why I used jingles as an example.

fzit0
audio school

Post by fzit0 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:02 pm

If all they're asking for is stuff they recorded on your studio I think they own it. Unless you were the producer and you wrote or composed and played some of it. If it was a "hip hop" song and you did the beat i guess then the raw wav files are yours.

I don't know it's confusing :lol:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 pm

>>>>I don't know it's confusing<<<<

Absolutely. That's why there are such things as contracts, and music/entertainment/intellectual property attorneys...

Get it in writing. EVEN WITH FRIENDS.

GJ