Which Handheld Digital Recorder To Get?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Which Handheld Digital Recorder To Get?

Post by Derrick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:50 am

Hi, I was thinking of getting a handheld digital recorder and noticed that Zoom, Tascam, etc. make them. Thing is Tascam makes a few models and I'm not sure what to choose. My uses are for recording my band at shows, and in practice. I want to be able to plug mics/line inputs. It would be great to do light multi track demos if that is possible but I bet it's not and that's the least of my needs. Anyone have any thoughts on a unit that stands out?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 am

I just bought a Zoom H1 for a project I'm working on. I bought it because it was $99, sound quality isn't a huge deal, and I don't know how much use it will get after this project. Simplicity was a primary requirement.

It's ok, and the sound quality is better than I expected. However, the construction is by no means what I'd call robust. It's plastic and feels kinda cheap.

So I suppose I'm suggesting you go up a price bracket. Check the reviews carefully, and consider what features are most important to you.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:46 am

I'd pick Tascam DR-680 if you don't need timecode.

There's a hack for Zoom H-2 to convert it into a 4 channel recorder. It's a pretty good price for a 4 channel recorder, at least.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Based largely on Joel's praise for the Zoom h4n here

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... hlight=h4n,

I just ordered one. I'm mainly attracted to the 4 channel mode with the option to use two of my own mics, and what really turned the tide was its ability to act as a USB interface. I'll post some opinions once I've used it a few times. There are plenty of perspectives in that thread, though.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Hm.... the DR-680 is too expensive for what I need. I see Tascam has a few models of small recorders like the DR-07. Some look like they are sold for guitarists and others for field recording... I don't understand what the diff is?
Image Image

Derrick

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 pm

i recently got the tascam dr-07. it's on the more basic end of the features spectrum, but is priced accordingly. the zoom is twice as expensive for example. it sounds fine for my needs - to record rehearsals, gigs, etc. it's very intuitive to use as well.

derrick - you said you want something with mic inputs. that's one thing this doesn't really have. well there IS a "mic input" but it's 1/8" and i assume you're looking for at xlr or at least 1/4".

the ones marketed to guitarists that you talk about differ in that they have shit like an instrument level input, effects, maybe a feature for slowing down riffs so you can learn them.[/i]

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Lyman, that makes sense. Crow, I looked at the ZOOM H4N and now I'm drooling... this means I have to decide between getting something that is either affordable so I don't have to worry too much or something more expensive that I have to worry about but has basically all the features I could want. What would John Lennon do?? :lol:
Image Image

Derrick

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 am

Derrick wrote: What would John Lennon do?? :lol:
an asian chick?

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:10 am

I'm down with that.
Image Image

Derrick

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:16 am

Well, so, at the way high end of off the charts ($500) you got the Sony PCM-D50...

Is a very cool gizmo, though... here is me just sitting at a table in a coffeehouse while a smokin' little jazz band does its thing... and by the way... this is (so they tell me... can they be serious?) an improvised song that they made up on the spot!

http://www.4shared.com/audio/lSBZkM6B/K ... on__T.html
Last edited by joelpatterson on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Sony D50 has only 1/8" mini inputs and no 4 ch capability.

I'd take the Zoom H4n any day.

The high end is Soundeluxe and they are $2400 and have NASA quality construction and sound.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Derrick wrote:I'm down with that.
+1.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm

Rhian doesn't look Asian to me, but then, what do I know, obviously.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 am

lyman wrote:
Derrick wrote: What would John Lennon do?? :lol:
an asian chick?
Or two.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:34 am

H4N can also function as an audio interface for Mac/PC. Not a great one, but its suffices for rough mixes on a laptop when traveling. It also has a 4 track multitrack mode (not 4 tracks at once) that makes it also funciton as a portastudio kinda thing with bouncing and everything.
I like recording to MP3 for band practice. It doesnt sound very good, but it never runs out of space before we finish!
The main thing I dont like about the H4n is the total lack of any real effects. Very strange for a box from Zoom who built their house on mutlieffect stompboxes.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."