Rolling Stones Iso'd Tracks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:09 pm

I could see somebody like Tom Waits or Howe Gelb doing this kind of track, messy but brilliant.

It's really fun to listen to the first guitar track - seriously different sections, from the rhythm guitar with lots of bleed to clean overdubs. You really had to make some hard choices right away, because you're punching in on the track itself.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 pm

And the other fun thing about that guitar track - lots of bleed? Richards did make a point in one interview I read about using small amps (and small drums) in recording to get a "big" sound. That's not a cranked Marshall stack or Fender Twin, there's too much bleed from other instruments.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm

losthighway wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:I can't believe how much shmutz there is on the vocal track, like when they're singing. And disappears beautifully the minute you add the guitar track below it. Genius.
Yeah there is a lot of that kind of random clipping, like the mic just poops out a little on some loud parts.
I think that's some kind of YouTube glitch... it's a mono track but the glitch only happens in my left speaker.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
losthighway wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:I can't believe how much shmutz there is on the vocal track, like when they're singing. And disappears beautifully the minute you add the guitar track below it. Genius.
Yeah there is a lot of that kind of random clipping, like the mic just poops out a little on some loud parts.
I think that's some kind of YouTube glitch... it's a mono track but the glitch only happens in my left speaker.
No, I feel like I'm hearing feet shuffling around and breathing and stuff. There must be quite a few "bodies" being mic'd up to create that vocal track.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Haven't listened to the tracks, but the discussion is interesting. I had the same thoughts listening to the Stevie Wonder stuff and the Marvin Gaye stuff. Imperfections that make the track.

I tend to use my DAW as a glorified tape machine and try not to over-edit things. Happy accidents are often times the best part of a song. Right now I'm listening to / mixing an ambient/electronic piece I made where I was so inspired to get the idea down as fast as possible, I didn't wait for my Andromeda to warm up. It needs about 15 minutes or more to become stable, tuning wise. So the beginning of the track is about 1/4 step flat and it slowly becomes more in tune as the track progresses, which creates a hypnotic effect when paired with the other, in tune instruments. It's really fucking cool! And a total accident.

Another thing; track shit in the same room. Fuck bleed! There's nothing like the energy of a band playing together in the same room.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 am

b3groover wrote:Haven't listened to the tracks, but the discussion is interesting. I had the same thoughts listening to the Stevie Wonder stuff and the Marvin Gaye stuff. Imperfections that make the track.

I tend to use my DAW as a glorified tape machine and try not to over-edit things. Happy accidents are often times the best part of a song. Right now I'm listening to / mixing an ambient/electronic piece I made where I was so inspired to get the idea down as fast as possible, I didn't wait for my Andromeda to warm up. It needs about 15 minutes or more to become stable, tuning wise. So the beginning of the track is about 1/4 step flat and it slowly becomes more in tune as the track progresses, which creates a hypnotic effect when paired with the other, in tune instruments. It's really fucking cool! And a total accident.

Another thing; track shit in the same room. Fuck bleed! There's nothing like the energy of a band playing together in the same room.
+1
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Let it Bleed is the name of the album.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:56 am

You were expecting, maybe, Dann Huff?

It's the Stones!

Of course it's raw. Glad I got to listen before it got pulled!

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Considering all the repackaging and remastering that has been pedaled to us over the years--and considering our enthusiastic reaction to listening to those tracks--do you think this stuff will ever be legitimately released someday in a track-by-track form?

Hell, I'd buy a track-by-track copy of "Surrealistic Pillow" or "What's Gong On"...

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 am

Lots of Paul _ Ringo, etc isolated tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09n7iiFL ... re=related
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm

excuse me, but I have been informed to tell you that no longer are we to refer to the World's Greatest Garage Band as "Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones".
It is "Keith Richards & the Rolling Stones"

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 am

cjogo wrote:Lots of Paul _ Ringo, etc isolated tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09n7iiFL ... re=related
Of course, today HAD to be the day that i forget my headphones! This looks fantastic. I'd love to get all of these and make my own mixes on Audacity.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:48 pm

accordion squeezist wrote:excuse me, but I have been informed to tell you that no longer are we to refer to the World's Greatest Garage Band as "Mick Jagger & the Rolling Stones".
It is "Keith Richards & the Rolling Stones"
According to Keef, it's "Ian Stewart & the Rolling Stones".... :wink:

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Pulled the Stones - dang!

I've heard some Keith and Ronnie fooling with around with acoustics in a hotel room to cassette tape.

$8000 mics - hooey! It's still all about musicians, songs, and soul.

Great discussion guys.
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

The roughness kind of fits in with what several eyewitnesses to Stones sessions have said, which was basically that they'd sound like the world's worst band for hours, then suddenly coalesce into a good band just long enough to get the keeper take.

If anyone can PM me a new location for the "Shelter" tracks that works, I will be eternally grateful.

michael
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra