Opinions on cheap stereo pres?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Opinions on cheap stereo pres?

Post by AstroSounds » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:32 pm

Me: small budgeted recording enthusiast seeking lovely stereo mic pre

You: helpful matchmaker with opinions and wisdom on such things.

Bachelorettes:
#1 - FMR Audio Pre - Everyone says they like her but does anyone actually sleep with her regularly? (meaning find it consistently useful)

#2 - Joe Meek TwinQ - Lots of flash but any substance?

#3 - Two GAP 73s - simple and elegant but what about versatility?

#4 - ????

My current lovers include a GT Brick, a EH 12AY7 and my Focusrite Pro 40 pres.
I'm moving across the nation in 6 months and I have little idea what clients I might find out there but currently I mostly do singer/songwriter and horn section work but am trying to expand into choir/classical work.

I'd appreciate any input.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I'm diggin the ART digital MPA II
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 pm

The Joe Meek is very flashy indeed. I think of it as a character box. Or maybe even a cartoon. Good to make bold statements with.

GAP73s, to my ears, are hype.

Absolutely second the MPA. Especially if you're willing to crack 'er open and put some nice tubes in her instead of the mega cheap ones that come stock. Not crazy about the A/D on the digital version ,but the pres themselves are actually pretty nice. The power supply isn't very robust, so definitely factor in using that power conditioner you probably already have. That will really help cut the noise floor.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 pm

LazarusLong wrote:Absolutely second the MPA. Especially if you're willing to crack 'er open and put some nice tubes in her instead of the mega cheap ones that come stock. Not crazy about the A/D on the digital version ,but the pres themselves are actually pretty nice. The power supply isn't very robust, so definitely factor in using that power conditioner you probably already have. That will really help cut the noise floor.
For what these things cost brand new, the AD isnt shabby. I paid $320 for mine thru AMS. It is highly finicky though. If the clocking is kinda weird it will sometimes continue to function and output digital audio but it will be grainy and noisy. Took me a minute to figure that out myself.
I really like how the high pass also works on the DI. Briliant on DI elec guitar! Also great on Synth. I havent yet popped any of my vintage tubes in mine because I dont have two 12ax7a that are the same and of the ones tha do match none that ARENT cheap chinese ones, likely whats in tehre already. Bet it sounds stellar with an RCA or Phillips in there.

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AstroSounds » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Oh I'm definitely willing to replace the tubes!!

I've got a unused supply of Amperex, RCA, Mullard and GE tubes from the 60's and 70s that I found in some psychology testing gear being tossed out. I sold enough of them to fund a custom amp project but still got several left.

Thanks for the input so far.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm

AstroSounds wrote:I've got a unused supply of Amperex, RCA, Mullard and GE tubes from the 60's and 70s that I found in some psychology testing gear being tossed out.
I hate you in the most personal and venal way possible.
Don't open any ticking packages.

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AstroSounds » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Total typo there.
The tubes were USED. At least I suspect they all were since they were in the gear.

Still though, it was the find of a lifetime. I cringe now when I think about the fact that I dropped two Mullard red tips as I was grabbing them all thinking "I wonder if these are worth anything more than some change?"

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:49 pm

I found some old Valco in a smashed AM radio earlier this year. They were all oddball pentode-preaamp or single triode kinda things that I had no use for in my 12ax7a/6L6/6550 plain vanilla world.
Gave them to my amp tech.

changeng
audio school graduate

Post by changeng » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:51 pm

haven't heard it myself, but THIS is intriguing -

http://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?Article=94&Tab=Services

someone on these boards has one of these - do a search for TPS

I have Vince at audioproz modding an ART Pro Channel for me right now - should be fun-fun-fun.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm

A used Presonus MP20 would be worth looking into, especially if you're looking for versatile but clean (and I'd imagine you want somewhat clean for classical): change its IC chips (and they're socketed, so no soldering required!) to Linear Tech LT1357's and you're all set. Mine has been passable to excellent-sounding on every acoustic instrument I've tried it on, but I've never tried to mic an amp with it.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:16 pm

wren wrote:A used Presonus MP20 would be worth looking into, especially if you're looking for versatile but clean (and I'd imagine you want somewhat clean for classical): change its IC chips (and they're socketed, so no soldering required!) to Linear Tech LT1357's and you're all set. Mine has been passable to excellent-sounding on every acoustic instrument I've tried it on, but I've never tried to mic an amp with it.
User ipressrecord on here did the same thing, and seems to have the same feelings about those preamps - nice, affordable, but really solid preamps. I have a pair of Studio Projects VTB-1s that I really like too. Don't let the starved plate junk sway you, if you dial that down they're nice full-bodied preamps. The "tube drive" can even be useful for distorted vocals, fuzzy bass, or just taking a bit of pristine out of a source. One of the pair was my first external preamp, and I bought the second after getting some more expensive ones, and buying and then selling some others.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:09 am

Love my original blackface ART MPA. A lot.
Actually been using it to master program material, followed by it's matching original
PRO VLA. The two in series just rule on program material, it was a nice surprise to
discover that...
And always delivers as a mic pre. Great simple ergonomics and metering.
Can't imagine the newer incarnations are much of a stretch, and they have more
features.

Also just picked up the TwinQ recently. I really like it, the preamp can be nice
and clean or more colored with the "iron" switch in. EQ is colored but smooth.
Preamp can overdrive in a useful way, at least on drums so far. Compressor is a
bit touchy, not for everything, but it's nice to have it.
I'm glad I purchased it...

Can't really go wrong with either the TwinQ or the MPA in my opinion.
TwinQ has more going on, therefore more spots to either screw up your gain
structure or nail it. MPA is a bit faster and simpler to dial in...
MPA is probably a better "distortion generator", if that's something that's handy to
you. Great as a parallel distortion-y box alongside a cleaner signal. Or as a post
effect.

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by studiodog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 am

+1 one for the MPA - bought one and found it so useful I bought a second :!:
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 am

I still love my RNP. I use it regularly.

Some surprisingly AWESOME preamps, that can be found dirt cheap, live inside the Hill Multimix mixers. They can usually be found used for around $300 in pretty good shape. The preamps and the simple, fixed 3 band EQ, are both outrageously nice for how cheap these little mixers are. And, you get 16 channels!!!

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Focusrite TwinTrack

Very underrated I thought, they sound nothing like real Focusrite's, but I think they do pretty well on acoustic, vocals, overheads.

Saw one for $220 on CL the other day.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho