- Brad

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Re: Lexicon PCM81 -VS- Reverb One

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:48 pm

bradjacob wrote:Lexicon PCM81
Digidesign's Reverb-One

Which do ya'll prefer and why?
You talking about the 81 plug-in or the real thing?

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm

The Lexicon PCM81 is best for delays in my opinion. It's actually my go to lead vocal delay. Just set it to the session tempo using the P.3.0 Panned Delays preset and off you go.

ReverbOne is a fine plug-in but it's really not that hard to tell the difference between a high end outboard fx box and a plug-in when you do a proper A/B comparison. The hardware wins every time.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:20 am

kittonian wrote:The Lexicon PCM81 is best for delays in my opinion. It's actually my go to lead vocal delay. Just set it to the session tempo using the P.3.0 Panned Delays preset and off you go.

ReverbOne is a fine plug-in but it's really not that hard to tell the difference between a high end outboard fx box and a plug-in when you do a proper A/B comparison. The hardware wins every time.
Ok, this is good. Elaborate the differences, I'd like to know to look for.
- Brad

kittonian
takin' a dinner break

Post by kittonian » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:33 am

bradjacob wrote: Ok, this is good. Elaborate the differences, I'd like to know to look for.
I guess the only way to elaborate the differences in words would be to say that things will sit better in a mix with a lot more depth and dimension. You really have to hear an A/B or have hardware experience to truly realize the differences.

That being said, perhaps you should consider looking at a current Lexicon product instead of a long since discontinued one. The PCM92 is excellent and is the same price as the PCM81 was brand new. The cool thing about the PCM92 is that you can use the Lexicon software and remotely control and automate the effect over Ethernet.

I currently use a PCM96 Surround which is the dual engine (plus surround) version of the PCM92, and I use mine over Ethernet in order to use the software.

You can check out the PCM92 on our website if you'd like more information and pictures. On the PCM96 page we have a demo audio file of what the unit sounds like. Remember that the PCM92 has the same algorithms and sounds so you might also want to take a listen.
Joshua Aaron
President/Chief Engineer
AudioLot/AudioLot Studios
Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
http://www.audiolot.com

Follow us on Facebook For Gear Specials & More