TEAC tape deck

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

timh
takin' a dinner break

TEAC tape deck

Post by timh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:21 am

my friend is selling his TEAC a-6010 deck. it would be my first time messing with analog. im more interested in using it as an "effect" for lo-fi acoustic recordings, rather than using it full time to mixdown/track to. do you think this will be more hassle and money (possibly) wasted rather than positive outcome?

http://slo.craigslist.org/ele/2047151254.html

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 am

I've got a similar unit at home (I don't remember the exact model number). I got it from a friend of mine who actually knows how to calibrate heads and all that jazz, so I didn't have to worry about getting it fixed up.

I 'm pretty sure I have almost no idea what I'm talking about, but if you're just planning to use the deck as an effect its being in absolute perfect order doesn't matter so much. As long as it records and plays back with a quality you're happy with, I'd say go for it.

Also, it could be a great opportunity to learn how to fix up old tape machines.

Ok, I just looked at the CL posting again... 4 channel, $80, and might just need a bit of head cleaning? Mine is only 2 channel unit and I paid $200 for it. I'd pay $80 just to put it on my mantle.

Definitely try it out first though. Good luck.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:48 am

I used to have that deck. It was pretty decent all things considered. Not studio grade but really good for home audio gear. It's 4 track but that really means it's a 1/4 track machine ie:you can record stereo on both sides of the tape (like a cassette).
Still, for $80 you can't go that wrong. I ended up just using the pre-amps which aren't too bad.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:05 am

sweet! i think ill do it. thanks for the replies.

can someone point me in the right direction of what kind of tape i need?

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:04 am

You're going to want 1/4" tape on 7" reels. I have no idea who still makes tape anymore. I got lucky when I bought mine in that my friend was generous enough to give me 4 reels along with the deck.

As I understand it there is a plethora of tape options (different bias levels and compositions), I honestly know little about it. However, I know for sure that there have been other threads on the board discussing this very topic, so try searching around. If there isn't anything here, you'll definitely find it over at the GSlutz, they love talking tape.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

cool thanks. so would this be good?
http://www.tapes.com/index.php?main_pag ... 30139957e7

or is mastering tape something different....

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm

timh wrote:cool thanks. so would this be good?

or is mastering tape something different....
Right brand, wrong type. 911 works for that deck as it's the closest modern equivalent to Quantegy 456.

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 pm

oh ok. thanks.

btw, snagged the deck for $70 tonight. so excited to order the tape on monday and try this thing out. i just need to find someone who knows how to set it up...

dbeck
audio school graduate

Post by dbeck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:06 pm

reel to reels can be fun. i have a cheap teac a2340sx. i recorded a bluegrass, americana duet with a ribbon mic into this thing and the vibe was awesome! but since they're lowend tape it will mostly mess up the audio rather than do any sort of nice tape effects. not that that's a bad thing

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

ok. hate to do this, but i have tried everything and i can not get this machine to work. it is my first time with tape- so im probably doing something wrong, but i cant get it to do anything.
i got tape, watched videos on how to thread it, and then i hit play/fast forward/record, and nothing happens. without the reels on there it spins fine, but it wont do anything with the reels on. what am i doing wrong!?

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:46 pm

pleeeeeease! someone! cant you feel my pain from lack of analog goodness in my ears?!?! its killing me softly...

gevermil
takin' a dinner break

Post by gevermil » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:39 am

are you sure you have it threaded properly ?
heads clean ?

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:25 am

first: make sure you have it threaded right. if you don't have the tape engaging the little lifter guy it won't get moving. (It's not a lifter... what's that thing called? you know, the swinging arm guys at far left and far right. there's lots of tape-threading videos on youtube... make sure you have it right.)

also:

make sure the tape path is clean. gummy tape gunk can slow down or halt the movement. too much friction from the goo.

try giving the capstan a kick start with a twist of your thumb & forefinger.

does the capstan spin when you lift the arms (without tape/reels on the machine)?
that's all I got... good luck...

- Robin

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:55 pm

im 99% sure its threaded right. the arm is up and everything. It spins (what seems to be) perfectly fine without the tape spools on, but when i thread it, i can tell it wants to spin because it moves just a little bit, but stops when there's no more tape slack.

the tape path is pretty damn clean. maybe the heads aren't in top notch condition but they're pretty damn clean and that should keep it from spinning...right?

and i've given it a kick start. nothing.

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 am

Bummer. Have you ever seen it move tape before? Did your friend who sold it to you have it rolling?

Maybe the motors are a little weak/lazy. I find that sometimes you can get 'em started by hand and they sort of snap into action.

I have a similar Teac that is basically in the same situation. I wonder if it's capacitors that need replacing. It just seems like the motor/torque is lacking some oomph.

- Robin