New DAW same Sotware Windows7?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

New DAW same Sotware Windows7?

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:16 am

Running Nuendo 3 (i know) with a Lynx Aurora, and just ordered a workstation with Windows 7 installed.

Any benefit of sticking with Windows 7, instead of rolling back to XP pro?

Thanks
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Windows 7 is a lot tighter of an OS than XP was. Its memory handling is good, and I don't get unexpected exits nearly as often as I did in XP. I turned off all the Aero crap. Desktop widgets are actually pretty handy. I've been using my MOTU as my primary sound card for surfing and stuff which I never did get working properly in XP. It feels a lot more locked down in terms of malware having higher barriers to jump. I was skeptical, but Win7 has treated me nice. I'd say keep it.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 pm

+1 on all of apropo's comments. Keep the Windows 7.

Windows 7 is to XP as XP was to 98.

i.e., kinda hard to describe, but it just feels way more stable and secure. Probably because it is.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:41 am

Loving Windows 7 over here. Seems much more solid that I expected any M$ OS to be. There are things about 7 I like over Mac OS 10.6 which is saying a lot.

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Windows 7 is pretty great. I was happy with xp for the most part, after using it for quite a few years, and especially in face of the shitiness that was vista. However after getting a new machine with windows 7 I've been quite happy with it. I find it more stable it to be more stable then XP (so far I've experienced zero random freezing/restarts/shutdowns which was an irregular occurance for me but was an occurence none the less) , I appreciate the power management quite a bit (I have a laptop, so this is pretty essential) and I find many small things more intuitive, the search function in particular which is fucking great. I really think it is quite a nice step-up from xp. However I have only been using windows 7 since august, and many of xp's short-commings became apparent over time, so I am anticipating that at some point after the honeymoon is over I will develop some issues with aspects of windows 7.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 am

I beta tested 7 all last year and currently run it on 2 machines, one of those being my mac!
IMHO its one of the best OS's out there for consumers. It has two problems though.
It runs a lot of background processes. This is part of what makes it very user friendly as those extras take care of a lot of the pain of home/cafe networking.

The other problem is that it NEEDS a lot of ram. It will run like crap on 1gb, its decent on 2gb, but really wants to be fed 4gb (well 3.5gb right?).

It has superior memory management to XP and Vista. It supports USB 3.0. It has all kinds of neat and useful features such as using the windows key with the arrow keys (try it!) or windows key+tab.
Another thing to be aware of is that at this point XP is two generations ago. Most manufactures are not going to write drivers for it anymore as its a totally different driver structure, while Vista and 7 are almost the same for drivers. Also MS is no longer going to keep issuing bug fixes and service packs for XP.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:52 pm

About the only downside that I can see to Win7 is We Dont Trust You Computing. But that's why root gave us high-quality analog outputs and inputs, right?

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:About the only downside that I can see to Win7 is We Dont Trust You Computing. But that's why root gave us high-quality analog outputs and inputs, right?
what are you trying to say about TPMs? They are hardware crypto. That is good. Banks I have worked for use them to encrypt the hard drives. That keeps your personal data safe. So if someone steals the hardrives or gains unauthorized access to the computer it is almost (almost) imposssible to get into that drive.
Freaking takes forever to set it up though. Thank dog I got paid by the hour.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Philosophical objection, adequately defined here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Co ... #Criticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Computing#Trust

Practical effect is that in 64-bit you can't tap or redirect media data-streams, which is an irritant if you have legitimate uses for doing so. (e.g. in the case of user generated content or fair uses of copyrighted material.)

FFI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_Media_Path

ETA: all of which does not preclude that in other important respects Win7 is a very nice OS.
Last edited by apropos of nothing on Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:Philosophical objection, adequately defined here:

Practical effect is that in 64-bit you can't tap or redirect media data-streams, which is an irritant if you have legitimate uses for doing so. (e.g. in the case of user generated content or fair uses of copyrighted material.)

please note italicized text.
They suggest Trusted Computing as a possible enabler for future versions of mandatory access control, copy protection, and digital rights management.
Unfotunately in the virii laden environment in which we compute, we NEED something like TPMs. Right now the only other option is to retreat to Mac OS. Which is not unhackable, it is just a lot less hacked. I garauntee (in my best Justin Wilson voice) that Macs will become as bad as PCs in that regard as they gain more widespread adoption.

I am totally down with the EFF. But they do have a habit of opposing anything and everything that make life more secure for regular computer users. Sure in a perfect world we should all be able to anonymously ftp things across the world and browse the web with no firewall but unfortuntely there are bad people. I am more concerned about the Russian mob getting my credit card info than about annoying copy protection.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:
apropos of nothing wrote:Philosophical objection, adequately defined here:

please note italicized text.
They suggest Trusted Computing as a possible enabler for future versions of mandatory access control, copy protection, and digital rights management.
Thus-and-suchery built into the system equates to same being actualized regardless of whether this has occurred yet. FFI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_tapping
calaverasgrandes wrote:Unfotunately in the virii laden environment in which we compute, we NEED something like TPMs. Right now the only other option is to retreat to Mac OS. Which is not unhackable, it is just a lot less hacked. I garauntee (in my best Justin Wilson voice) that Macs will become as bad as PCs in that regard as they gain more widespread adoption.

I am totally down with the EFF. But they do have a habit of opposing anything and everything that make life more secure for regular computer users. Sure in a perfect world we should all be able to anonymously ftp things across the world and browse the web with no firewall but unfortuntely there are bad people. I am more concerned about the Russian mob getting my credit card info than about annoying copy protection.
Totally 100% granted. I'd just like to be able to better delineate the trust network. I admit to having idealist tendencies. :)

ETA: On the practical level, I can't seem to get output from an application that is not my DAW to record into my DAW, without going through analog. Its about the only negative thing I've realy experienced on Win7. I am presuming that it is because my sound card manufacturer is writing DRM-compliant drivers. I could be wrong on that. Since the rest of the thread is pretty much Win7 positive for any number of good reasons, I thought it would be worth mentioning for the sake of "fair and balanced" reporting.

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Post by exalted wombat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:06 am

apropos of nothing wrote:On the practical level, I can't seem to get output from an application that is not my DAW to record into my DAW, without going through analog. Its about the only negative thing I've realy experienced on Win7. I am presuming that it is because my sound card manufacturer is writing DRM-compliant drivers. I could be wrong on that. Since the rest of the thread is pretty much Win7 positive for any number of good reasons, I thought it would be worth mentioning for the sake of "fair and balanced" reporting.
It could just be that you need to go into Sound setup in the Control Panel and look down the list of Record devices. The internal loopback device (this W7 laptop calls it "Stereo Mix") may be present but disabled.

I know this IS the Tape Op forum, and we all subscribe to "Older is better" as an article of faith, but it's about as silly to prefer XP to W7 now as it would be to prefer W98. Unless you have specific older equipment that isn't going to get W7 drivers, of course.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:14 am

actually most pro stuff is exempted from DMCA restrictions. I would try rewire if I needed to get audio from another app into my main DAW. It can also be that especially in ASIO mode most drivers dont play nice with more than one program at a time.