API a2d vs. Universal Audio 4-710d

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

API a2d vs. Universal Audio 4-710d

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:12 am

I have an api a2d. I like it. it sounds very nice.

but for the sake of having a greater number of nice channels and even outboard compressor action to play with I was thinking about selling it to get a Universal Audio 4-710D. it has some nice features, and 8 channels of a/d conversion.

unless API 312 pres are a good amount better than the UA pres on the 4-710D, I'd say, for 200 extra dollars, the UA has a LOT more bang for your buck.

has anyone used both these units?
any thoughts on the quality difference in the pres/converters?
any thoughts in the realm of comparison in general?

api a2d:
http://www.apiaudio.com/a2d.html

Universal Audio 4-710D:
http://www.uaudio.com/products/hardw...10d/index.html
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 pm

It's pretty "new." I've been trying to get some info about it here and elsewhere and can't find anyone that has it yet. I can't seem to find reviews on it yet either.

BUMP !

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Producer/Engineer wrote:It's pretty "new." I've been trying to get some info about it here and elsewhere and can't find anyone that has it yet. I can't seem to find reviews on it yet either.

BUMP !
strange since front end audio can't seem to keep them in stock they're selling so fast. someone HAS to have one that frequents TOMB...
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

McPorkChoppy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by McPorkChoppy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Haven't seen these yet.. I like the idea, though I've never heard the 710 before. I have a solo 610 and it's great, if it's at all like one of those x 4 + digital output that's pretty cool!
I've been looking at the API A2D also, being an owner what do you think of it?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 pm

I think a big difference is the lack of spdif on the 4-710. Obviously you can't have 4 channels on spdif so adat is it. having adat as the digital could be good or bad depending on your current set up. People with smaller set ups would have to plan any additional a/d or d/a converters around the unit. But I suppose that the UA converters are pretty decent.

I can tell you that the standalone 710 preamps totally rock. And having a basic 1176 style limiter on all 8 channels is pretty swell. If this unit can match the sound of the original it is totally worth the money

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:07 pm

IME the UA pre's tend towards dark, while the API ones are ...not so dark.
So how will that affect your workflow?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

BigGreenLamp!
audio school

Post by BigGreenLamp! » Tue May 17, 2011 9:15 am

I got the UA4-710d about two weeks ago, and I LOVE it! Really dig both the mic pres and the compressors. Since they're pretty limited in control, the comps aren't good for everything, but they've been sounding wonderful on vocals specifically.

Both the solid state and tube stages sounds nice - If you don't drive it hard, the tube is much less gnarly than I was expecting. Basically two different useable flavors, and I've been enjoying finding different blends between the two.

I've been making use of the line-ins as well, using the compressors in mixdown. Like I said, I really love what the "fast" setting does for vocals.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this sucka is holding it's own against other nice pre's I have access to at studios I freelance at (Avalons, Crane Song, True, Jensen...). Warm and big.

All in all, I couldn't be happier, and it's a big upgrade for my home rig.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 am

If you end up selling that A2D, drop me a line. I've been meaning to pick one up for home. Also: I'm selling a Focusrite ISA428 (original version) with the A/D card, so I'd totally do a trade if you're interested in those pres.

I can't speak to the 710, but I an say this much: I have a 610 that I really like for the occasional vocal, keyboard or woody-sounding vintage bass DI. But I don't think I'd want 4 channels of it- things would get pretty cloudy pretty fast.

This 4-710 has a ton of features, which is kind of awesome, but also a little suspect at the same time. I'd love to hear it in action: They've somehow managed to cram a budget 110, 610 and 1176 into each channel and deliver them for less than the cost of 2 channels of any of those pieces.

Who knows, maybe they pulled it off! With those fixed compressor settings, I'm imagining it might have a pretty narrow sweet spot (much like the 610), but it's anyone's guess until you try the thing!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue May 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Weird, I had a dream last night I bought an A2D for $2000, then gave myself a guilt trip over G.A.S.

Jettison
gettin' sounds

Post by Jettison » Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I was gonna get a Daking MP IV but when I read the review in this months tapeop I went and bought a 4-710 instead because I thought it would do more (compression on each ch. and an output level control so you can distort the channel while keeping the output at a safe level). There are two 12AX7s so each channel only gets one triode gain stage (not like a 610). The blend control dials in/out said tube stage in series with the ss portion of the circuit. So the "all tube" signal path is actually the solid state gain stage preceding a single triode. Not "all solid state or all tube" as advertised. The plate voltages measured 275+- on my fluke. There are no audio signal transformers. You can't just plug the thing in to a computer and go. Frankly the converter set would be a heck of a lot more useful if it was firewire instead of AES and lightpipe.
Yada, yada, yada. So how do the pres compare to an MP IV?? The Daking seems like it would be a lot more hifi. More tank-like. More rad because it does less. The Daking has a separate power supply. Does anyone know if it's a linear PS? The 4710 seems rad but gimmicky with a cheesy switching PS. The Daking looks like it would be heavy. The UA is kind of light weight. All that said, can anybody compare at all? Oh, the 4710 sounds damn good.
You traded the Cadillac for a microphone?

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Sun May 29, 2011 7:41 am

BigGreenLamp! wrote:I got the UA4-710d about two weeks ago, and I LOVE it! Really dig both the mic pres and the compressors. Since they're pretty limited in control, the comps aren't good for everything, but they've been sounding wonderful on vocals specifically.

Both the solid state and tube stages sounds nice - If you don't drive it hard, the tube is much less gnarly than I was expecting. Basically two different useable flavors, and I've been enjoying finding different blends between the two.

I've been making use of the line-ins as well, using the compressors in mixdown. Like I said, I really love what the "fast" setting does for vocals.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this sucka is holding it's own against other nice pre's I have access to at studios I freelance at (Avalons, Crane Song, True, Jensen...). Warm and big.

All in all, I couldn't be happier, and it's a big upgrade for my home rig.
Thanks for the post! Useful info!