Heil Microphones

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

in2thegapagain85
ass engineer

Heil Microphones

Post by in2thegapagain85 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:24 am

Anybody out there tried or heard anything done with the PR-30? I've heard some people are really digging them on guitar amps.

Just curious...

(BTW been lurking here for a bit, figured I'd join!)

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I've got a pr30. It's an exceedingly bright mic, and I don't use it often for that reason. If sticking out of the mix is the goal, e.g. with a lead guitar line, it's fine. Otherwise, it's too bright for me.

I also have a pr20, which is quite nice on a variety of sources. I like that one on snare and some vocals.

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Can do some interesting things on snare, sort of modern and hi-fi. Can be a great voice-over mic. I have used it successfully on on banjo and acoustic guitar. It hasn't made the cut yet with me on guitar amps of sung vocals though. Actually, it didn't make the cut on snare either, it just sounded very interesting. I am excited for the day when it sounds really great on something though.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I bought a PR-30 based on the hype, and sold it within 6 months. Did nothing for me. I hear the PR-40 is neater, but that's more hype.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Pr-40 has a built in 4k rise tuned that way for vocal presence. I think the Pr-30 does too, but not 100% on that. the pr-40 has better bass response than the 30.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Slau » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 am

I bought the PR-20, PR-30 and PR-40 for the studio when they first came out. One thing I have to say is, Bob Heil knows a thing or two about phase so the rear rejection of these mics is astonishing. Also, their output is more along the lines of a condenser. That said, they do have some funky stuff going on with off-axis response.

I've sold the PR-20 because I simply never used it. The PR-30 is gone because I never found a source on which it sounded good. Guitar amp never sounded good to me through the PR-30. Also tried it on toms and it just didn't sound right. I still have the PR-40 because I thought it sounded decent on acoustic bass but, frankly, I'm about to sell it as well. Honestly, I wanted to like these mics but they just didn't really do it for me, personally.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:52 am

Interesting how people feel about the same piece of gear. I've got three PR-30s and I love them. I could record an album using nothing but them. I find them well-balanced without being overly bright or brittle sounding in the high end. I guess it goes to show that you'll have to try one out for yourself. :wink:

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 am

Yeah, I really think it comes down to taste. It is a great mic. To me it has a "modern" sound if that means anything at all - maybe its the high end extension for a dynamic. I can imagine that it would be possible to record a whole record with it and it would sound just fine. I think I am just a sucker for the "funk" of some of my other more characterfull low end mics.