Guitar amp tube compliment vs. power

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:14 am

vvv wrote:
calaverasgrandes wrote:Kinda like the Traynor YBA3a with its 4 tubes putting out 250 watts. NO IDEA what those are. I only hage ever seen one YBA3a.
"... tubes were three 12AX7As in the preamp and four 6CA7 outputs."

From here, what also says,

"Identical to the YBA-3 but double the power (max continuous output was well over 400 Watts), YBA-3A was the most powerful bass head on the market when introduced & probably also the heaviest at apx.100 lbs."

The 6CA7, of course, is the EL34!
that is incorrect.
They used a television beam power tube. I think they were designed for transmitters? no EL34 or 6CA7 has the clip on anode (cathode?) that those yba3as have.
http://www.andrewsamplab.com/Amp%20Phot ... _yba3a.htm
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Well then, aiighty then, butt I think you should be the one for to correct 'em (yorkville = traynor?)! :twisted:

(Do make sense to me, tho' as I can't feature a EL34 putting out 67.5 w.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:15 pm

vvv wrote:Well then, aiighty then, butt I think you should be the one for to correct 'em (yorkville = traynor?)! :twisted:

(Do make sense to me, tho' as I can't feature a EL34 putting out 67.5 w.)
Some fella emaled me a pdf of original traynor promo lit a long time ago, It clearly mentions the oddball power tubes.
Not sure who made the gaff on the traynor site, but its hard to take as authoritative when thye havent even got photos of some of the gear they reference!
I will see if I can dig up the pdf.

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Post by mattdhall » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:33 am

So, if I took my Princeton, upgraded the tubes to 6L6s, and upgraded to a 12" speaker, would I have the output of a Deluxe?

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:04 am

mattdhall wrote:So, if I took my Princeton, upgraded the tubes to 6L6s, and upgraded to a 12" speaker, would I have the output of a Deluxe?
no, i guess this thread, though filled with a ton of info, didn't get this across.

different tube types are generally NOT interchangeable with each other. amps that can use different tube types do so with a circuit switch that changes the wiring of the amp depending on the setting.

12" speaker will probably change the tone but.... don't expect it to be a great deal louder.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:05 am

mattdhall wrote:So, if I took my Princeton, upgraded the tubes to 6L6s, and upgraded to a 12" speaker, would I have the output of a Deluxe?

Well, I guess you could,but you would put a serious strain on the princetons power Xformer. Deluxes have a bigger PT in addition to a choke. If you want 6L6s, why not just get an amp with 6L6s? Deluxes also use 6V6s on the output. In any type of power tube swap you should first look to see if your power Xform has enough power to drive all the tubes in the amp.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:22 am

The quickest way to get more volume. out of an amp is to change out the speaker for something more efficient. Eminence makes a ton of speakers that are in the 103db efficiency range. Which is a pretty significant jump from your average of 97db to 99 db

Keep in mind that in order to get a 3db increase in volume you've got to double the wattage of the amp. Soooo if your combo is rocking a speaker rated at 97 db and you drop in a 103db speaker.... Thats a 6db difference and your amp will be much louder.

It's not going to have the same impact or sonic footprint as a 50watt amp on a 4x12. But it wont get swallowed. Up either.

Doubling your power output would be much more surgically invasive...and would require at least a new output transformer and some component switches to accommodate the new tube engine.

And after all of that your volume output increase may not be as dramatic as a simple speaker swap.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:41 am

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

1) Deluxes and Princetons both use 6V6s. Deluxes do not use 6V6s. Therefore, changing to 6L6s and a 12" in your Princeton will not make it into a Deluxe.

However, You actually can use 6L6s in the Deluxe with no problems if you do it right--NOT so much in a Princeton. Both tubes share the same pinout, as do MANY output tubes. I've done it myself in a Deluxe. Didn't really give much more loudness, for the reasons I outlined in my first (long) post in this thread.

The Princeton has the same power transformer as the Champ. It likely wouldn't tolerate the extra filament current draw. If you really wanted to, it could be done with an auxiliary filament transformer (not worth it).

2) Princeton and Deluxe have the following design differences, among others, in addition to the fact that one has a 12" speaker and one has a 10" speaker. Princeton uses a Cathodyne phase inverter, which operates less than unity gain, and the Deluxe uses a Schmitt phase inverter, which offers gain. Princeton also has a smaller power and output transformer. There are others as well. Tube type isn't the biggest issue.

3) There's a bit of misinformation above. Many amps can run different tube types without modification, and without a "circuit switch" that "changes the wiring of the amp." They can/often do so with a flexible biasing scheme-- a cathode-bias design that allows several tubes to bias up in a safe range. All 6L6 types, 6V6, 6550, KT88, KT66, EL37, and several others ALL share the same pinout. Pin 1 in all is not connected. 7027 is the same (and in fact is typically identical to 6L6GC) except pin 1 has a redundant extra negative suppressor grid connection that doesn't do much. EL34 is the same except that pin 1 is connected to a third grid.

As long is pin 1 on the socket is not used for a "tie point" as it is in many older designs, an amp can be easily designed that can run several (if not all) of the above tube types without problem. Sometimes you will see a switch that will adjust taps on the output transformer for better impedance matching-- but this is NOT changing the circuit-- only the turns ratio of the OT.

4) More misinformation above: A 12" speaker would indeed make the amp noticeably louder in most cases. This is simply because 12" speakers are typically 5-10 dB more efficient than 10" speakers, partially a result of the increased (50% greater) surface area. This necessarily translates into an increase in loudness, and in fact is the biggest reason the Deluxe is louder than the Princeton. You may remember that doubling the power of an amp (from, say, 50 to 100w) gets you only 3dB of loudness, all else equal (power scale in watts is linear, SPL in dB is a logarithmic measure). Speaker sensitivity (a function of size, number of speakers, and also speaker construction) is easily a bigger deal than number of "watts." Easily. This gets confused, because higher powered amps typically have more speakers, and are therefore louder-- the extra amp power is only good for 3dB.

---

If you love the sound of your Princeton but want to make it louder, I'd suggest getting an extension cab with a second 10" speaker (or if you like, a 12" speaker) in it. You can leave the stock 8 ohm speaker and run an 8 ohm speaker in parallel for 4 ohms, and the OT will likely handle the slight downward mismatch just fine (indeed, it was designed to do so). If you want to maximize loudness and be kinder to your output tubes, get a 16 ohm speaker for the onboard speaker and an additional 16 ohm speaker for the extension cab, for a total load of 8 ohms.

Your amp will be noticeably louder... probably louder than a Deluxe, even... and you'll notice greater extension in the lows, as well.

The "more efficient speaker" advice directly above is sound in theory, but remember that those measurements are made using 1W of white noise, not actual musical signal. So the differences don't always translate as meaningfully in practice. A speaker with more extension above 5k will measure louder, but not sound louder with a guitar through it (unless you use a fuzz)

Outside of that, you could just get a different amp. While you could squeeze a 12" speaker into the cab of the princeton, it's my experience that the cabinet is too small for a 12" speaker to sound good. The baffle is not wide enough, and you'd have a small, boxy sound. Know what it sounds like when the speaker is not inside a cabinet at all? Thin, boxy, tiny due to phase cancellations at low frequencies? It would start sounding more like that.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 pm

0000000 beat me to it. Most of those eminences that rate such high sensitivity merely have a lot more midrange and upper freq energy.

Also, I would opt for a 2x10, 2x12 or even 4x10 or 4x12 for an extension. As long as you can jigger the impedances correctly it should work great and get you more volume. Though of course there comes a point when it is more practical to have a head and cabinet as opposed to a combo on top of a cabinet.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:17 am

Misinformation.... And more of it.

On the doubling of power in an amp, my response assumed the addition of two power tubes. Which would, most likely necessitate a different output transformer.

I'm guessing that fender doesn't overbuild their amps these days, so that's a pretty safe bet.

I built the amp i use... and it'll run a pair of 6v6's or a pair of 6l6 (kt66)'s It has an output transformer that'll kick out at least 50 watts... But changing tubes from 6v6 to 6l6 is much more of a TEXTURAL and tonal thing. NOT so much a volume thing.

Changing speakers in the cab gave me a much more obvious and immediate change in volume. Not to mention tonal focus.

Super effiicient speakers aren't my favorite thing, but if you don't want a new amp, or.... To really start digging into the one you have, swapping out the speakers would be the way to go.

Adding another speaker is a brilliant idea.

If you add a speaker and say both of them are on the "loud/efficient" side of things, you should notice a perceptible step up in volume and impact.

Is that going to sound like a louder version of your amp? Probably not...it'll sound and act differently but it'll be louder.

You could always tear into the amp and turn it into a Boogie. Isn't that what the first boogies were? Super loud-i-fied Princeton's?

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:25 am

norton wrote:Isn't that what the first boogies were? Super loud-i-fied Princeton's?
IIRC, yep! Louder and dirtier. Didn't they sacrifice the tremolo for an extra gain stage, or something?

In any case, norton is bang-on, in my experience/opinion, regarding the "textural" difference (not volume difference) of switching to more powerful output tubes.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:34 am

yeah I bought into that when I went from 6L6 to 6550 with my Mesa. I thought I was going to get another 40-50 watts. Well, as the amp tech explained to me, different tubes, same power supply, same watts (basically). Though the 6550 seem a bit more ballsy to me he said I could get just as much change with differeing brands of 6L6 as I can from 6L6 to 6550. More to the point, some brands might even use the same tube and put it in differing glass envelopes to be marketed as EL34, 6L6, KT88, 6550 and so on. Seeing as half the tubes out there are New Sensor and the other half are Sino it make you wonder how much of what we hear from the power tubes changing isnt just "this money better do something".

PS In my case I have a Mesa Bass 400, 6 power tubes, so it's a lot of money and yeah 40-50 watts is trivial on top of 180-235 watts.