Vinyl duplication vs. CD

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:40 am

I say treat your release like a snowball. Get a short run and when it sells take the money and roll it into a larger run so that sales pay for new product and you're not out money or stuck with unsold stock. The best place to start is short run places and the best I've found is Kunaki http://kunaki.com/ You can order as few as 1 unit and the per unit price is incredibly low. The quality is amazing for short run and even compares to some replicators. Full color covers and on disc printing. Silver CDrs that look like real CDs. Whatever record I help release next will do this:

Download+Kunaki release
then 1000 CDs when enough Kunaki sales warrant a run that large
then a Vinyl run (with free downloads) when demand warrants it
then maybe even cassettes, 8 tracks, wax cylinders (with free downloads) because for some reason they are cool again.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm

We wound up going with Spinergy, 'cause they're right here in town with us. Got 500 or so pressed for around $800.

Mike, I'd love to know who could make 100 records for around $500... if you know of anyone in particular, let me know, 'cause we've got another record in the wings & I'd love to get it out on LP as well as CD.

As for touring, huge tours aren't really an option for us right now. The best we can hope for is regional. Fortunately, regional is part of our artistic vision. I'm absolutely sure that the bands that people get to hear are the bands that tour. You don't have to look any farther than (cough) MySpace for that.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

ec
ass engineer

Re: Vinyl duplication vs. CD

Post by ec » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 am

Judas Jetski wrote:
So, we're mostly using them now for streaming (which is also no longer free) because of their great player, and for download codes (also not free) which are cheap and seriously convenient.

I still love Bandcamp. I'm just learning how it can work best for me and the records that I release.
Quick thing... You said that Bandcamp streaming is no longer free? Where did you see that? I just looked at their FAQ and pricing pages and didn't see any mention of it. (Hoping that I'm not going to owe BC money that I don't know about...)

Cheers,
-Erik (erikcameron.bandcamp.com, feel free to rack up some fees)

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: Vinyl duplication vs. CD

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:54 am

ec wrote:
Judas Jetski wrote:
So, we're mostly using them now for streaming (which is also no longer free) because of their great player, and for download codes (also not free) which are cheap and seriously convenient.

I still love Bandcamp. I'm just learning how it can work best for me and the records that I release.
Quick thing... You said that Bandcamp streaming is no longer free? Where did you see that? I just looked at their FAQ and pricing pages and didn't see any mention of it. (Hoping that I'm not going to owe BC money that I don't know about...)

Cheers,
-Erik (erikcameron.bandcamp.com, feel free to rack up some fees)
I haven't heard that. What I read on Bandcamp is that you only have a certain amount of free downloads, and then you basically have to reload them, but it's pretty cheap (like $10 for 1000 or something like that). I'll have to find the page. Streaming is still free as far as I've heard.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 am

Each account gets 200 free downloads on bandcamp per month. Each month your account is bumped back up. For each $500 you make, you get another 1000 free downloads. Pretty sure that streaming is still free.

If anyone knows of a place that does short-run vinyl, I'm interested to hear also! I've been thinking about getting some lathe cuts done, but it'd be awesome if there were a plant that did pressed runs in small quantities.

artercay
audio school graduate

Post by artercay » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 am

EKS in Long Island City was doing 100 LP vinyl runs about a year ago for 650 bucks. I did two different releases with them and the quality was decent, and they were super fast.

A bonus for NYC residents is that Will drives them over to your house in his pickup truck, saving you many dollars in shipping. He used to run Sleeping Bag too, so you can ask him about Arthur Russell...

http://www.eksmfg.com/

last time i looked a bunch of plants were offering some sort of short run deal.

t
seeking the sound of heavy air

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 am

Oops... I meant that the "free" downloads aren't free, depending on how many downloads you have each month. Streaming is still free.

gottagroovematt
audio school

Post by gottagroovematt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:33 am

We can handle short runs of vinyl -- feel free to give me a shout!

Matt @ Gotta Groove Records
Matt E. Earley
Gotta Groove Records, LLC
Pressing 7" and 12" Vinyl Records
(800) 295-0171
www.gottagrooverecords.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Awesome.

www.andysmash.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:11 pm

Do vinyl. Why? Because it sounds better, it's getting more popular lately, and it's more moral. You're a good guy aren't you? Didn't you know Jesus wants you to print to vinyl.
Ah yes, my child, the kingdom is within you.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 pm

*looks at shoes, twists foot nervously in dirt*

I dunno, I think Jesus would be disappointed in me if I printed a digital mix to LP. It seems dishonest somehow.

There's a couple guys here in town who have done vinyl releases. I might just invest some of my coffee budget into getting them to "spill the beans" (ark ark ark). It really sounds like the process of analog mastering is just TOTALLY different from digital mastering. Like, a whole different thing, for different purposes entirely.

BTW, if you want to hear it, the CD is up on our bandcamp site. It's under "music" at our website, www.AndySmash.com

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:53 pm

BTW, honkyjonk, that's an awesome Dune quote. When I was in college, that quote turned into an inside joke for us. We used it to describe anything even a little out of the ordinary, only we'd pronounce 'God' like 'ghud.'

So it'd be, "this is pizza like even Ghud has never seen," or, "Hey, Bill, how was the test?" "It was a test like even Ghud has never seen!" Of course, this was followed by us all laughing until we practically soiled ourselves.

Ah, the merriment of youth. I remember when I used to have a sense of humor. Now I know better than to laugh at wormsign.

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:57 pm

FOR THE PUBLIC BENEFIT:

Walk without rhythm, and you won't attract the worm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8

www.andysmash.com

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm

I know that vinyl is experiencing a resurgence of sort, but I'm not convinced that enough casual listeners have record players. I don't, and none of my bandmates do, either. Of the folks who frequent local live music venues, what percentage do you think own record players and collect LPs?

I'm not poo-pooing vinyl, I'm just wondering what your impressions are of the vinyl consumer, especially when it comes to bands without national name recognition.

tubetapexfmr
steve albini likes it

Post by tubetapexfmr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Rolsen wrote:I know that vinyl is experiencing a resurgence of sort, but I'm not convinced that enough casual listeners have record players. I don't, and none of my bandmates do, either. Of the folks who frequent local live music venues, what percentage do you think own record players and collect LPs?
Interesting point. Maybe for a vinyle release you could just have stickers printed up for the covers and vinyl itself. Then you could just wrangle up a bunch of yard sale/thrift store vinyl. Slap those stickers on and put it in a plastic sleeve and you're all set! Who's actually going to LISTEN to it, right? Who cares if its Herb Alpert or Andy Williams under your artwork and logos!