2 Channel A/D for mixing

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

2 Channel A/D for mixing

Post by calebrwilliams » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 am

SO I'm mixing from 16 track tape, through a series II soundcraft. Other than that, I have very minimal gear due to having a family and not recording professionally.

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a decent 2 Channel A/D to mix down to using Protools (I would also probably update to Protools 9, since I know only have 7 with an mbox2). I'll probably only be able to spend around 500. What are my options in that price range that anyone has worked with?

Are there any other options I'm not considering using my current gear? SPIDF? I realize that there are all these great converters for 2k and whatnot but that's just not in my ballpark right now.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:42 pm

You may consider keeping the Mbox2 and try to track down a used RME ADI-2, and utilize the spdif input. I don't know of many 2 channel convertors that are firewire or usb that have really great sounding conversion for around $500, except the apogee duet, which you can't use on a PC. Also, many of the 2 channel convertors, like make you pass through a preamp gainstage, and don't have a true line input.

Maybe you could look at the Echo Audiofire 2. http://www.frontendaudio.com/Echo-Audio ... p/9582.htm. 2 line in, no preamps, firewire and 2 line outs for monitoring. That fits the bill and is $300 bucks budget. I have no experience with it, but alot of people like the echo stuff around the 'op. Check for compatability with pt 9 for sure.

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

Post by calebrwilliams » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I actually just noticed the Audiofire2 after my post and that sounds very close to what I'm looking for.

I'm on a Mac so the duet is also an option.

Anyone out there using either of these with pt 9? I suppose the RME via spidf would be close to the cost of the audiofire2 + pt9 update.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:02 pm

okay this is kind of over in left field idea how about the Art Digital MPA II? Less than $400. Toslink out can feed the toslink in on the Mac. Its TOOB. And it can run at unity gain.
Last edited by calaverasgrandes on Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

jmpace
takin' a dinner break

Post by jmpace » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:59 am

I just wanted to chime in and say I have had TERRIBLE TERRIBLE experience with Echo. I have an Echo Audiofire 8, which has caused me problems as long as I've owned it. I sent my unit in for repair, it came back with the same problem and more problems! Originally the gain knob for one of the mic inputs was uneven, it came back unfixed (AFTER 4 WEEKS) being unable to switch to any higher sample rate than 44k (and it's capable of up to 96k), the main output is unbalanced (the right side is actually louder), and occasionally the unit just freaks out during playback and sounds all distorted. Now there is some kind of short in the headphone volume pot. Customer service has been slow, forgetful, and downright careless. I think at this point they should just replace the unit, but they insist on me sending it to them AGAIN for repair. Meanwhile I'm unable to work...

Echo = barf.
I'm bringin' lumberjack back!

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

Post by calebrwilliams » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks for the input, that helps. Anyone else have any good or bad experiences with Echo? Any feedback on RME A/D?

Again, I'm mixing out of the box and need very simple "true" line-in conversion for my 2track mix that's not 2k.

...The more I look into this, the more I want to just mix to tape...but that's a whole new thread...

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:31 pm

I use a BL Sparrow for mixdown, and it's my go-to for overdubs. I've A/B'd it against a Tweakhead mod 002 and an RME ADI8, and preferred its high frequency clarity. Not much by way of connectivity options, just SPDIF and AES, but this no doubt keeps the price down. I've seen them go used for as low as $400.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:51 pm

We mix down through a RME ADi2 -- to a Masterlink .... no complaints here.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

calebrwilliams
ass engineer

Post by calebrwilliams » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:40 pm

IF I went the RME route, what are the best ways to get the digital signal into protools (with 9 as an option, since I might upgrade from 7)? I have an mbox2 with spdif, but is that butchering the signal from the RME somehow? Once its digital, its digital right? Is the AES via XLR better quality? CLEARLY I don't really understand digital signals very well...but HEY, this portion of my setup will be the only piece of gear made in my lifetime...

...I should just get a damn 2 track...one that actually works anyways.

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm

calebrwilliams wrote:IF I went the RME route, what are the best ways to get the digital signal into protools (with 9 as an option, since I might upgrade from 7)? I have an mbox2 with spdif, but is that butchering the signal from the RME somehow? Once its digital, its digital right? Is the AES via XLR better quality? CLEARLY I don't really understand digital signals very well...but HEY, this portion of my setup will be the only piece of gear made in my lifetime...

once it leaves the RME as a digital signal, the mbox will simply pass it along.
i'm assuming you can clock the mbox to the RME?

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

ricey wrote:
calebrwilliams wrote:IF I went the RME route, what are the best ways to get the digital signal into protools (with 9 as an option, since I might upgrade from 7)? I have an mbox2 with spdif, but is that butchering the signal from the RME somehow? Once its digital, its digital right? Is the AES via XLR better quality? CLEARLY I don't really understand digital signals very well...but HEY, this portion of my setup will be the only piece of gear made in my lifetime...

once it leaves the RME as a digital signal, the mbox will simply pass it along.
i'm assuming you can clock the mbox to the RME?
Yep, in Pro Tools you just choose SPDIF as the clock source.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:40 am

Just wanted to put in a positive word for Echo: I've had 2 Echo Audiofire 2's (both at work), 2 Audiofire 4's (1 at work, 1 for me), and a Layla 3G (for me), all of which get regular use, and they all work spectacularly well and have been hassle-free. In fact, I've downright abused my Audiofire 4 and it's still fine. I'd highly, highly recommend the Audiofire 2 or 4 for your purposes. I can't speak to the Echos' compatibility with PT9 though.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:20 am

Another happy Echo user here...

Started with a Mia, then bought a Layla 24, an Indigo I/O and now currently using an Audiofire 12.

I can happily say that I have never had any trouble with any of their products that I have owned. In fact, the first card I ever purchased was an M-Audio 2496, and I had so many problems with it that I took it back and bought the Echo Mia, which worked flawlessly, and have never looked back...

Jmpace, sounds like you got a lemon there... It's a bummer that they haven't just replaced the unit for you.. :(

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:51 am

I own 2 Echo Audiofire 12s and have never had trouble. I have even used them with several software DAWs with no hassle and no trouble. Did I mention they sound great! Also, you don't need something as powerful as Pro Tools just to mix to like a 2 track. You can use any basic wav editing program like Peak or Audacity for that. Sound Forge is great for mixing to and mastering but it's Windows and you are on a Mac. I'm sure there are many more for Mac. I believe Steinberg has just released a version of Wavlab for Mac.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:59 am

adobe audition is now in beta (free) for Mac. Sorry no download link. Oh wait;
http://tinyurl.com/2unbhjh
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."