Show us your recording space, right NOW

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:19 am

shedshine, how do you like your mesa studio preamp?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:03 pm

kslight wrote: Always a fan of the 388, but I'm not sure if I'd want to stand mine that way for weight and patching concerns?but I use mine all the time.

It?s not in use at the moment, but I don?t mind looking at it, so it?s there on a solid oak shelf with steel brackets and 2? of folded over non-skid matting. I have used it in tilted-stand positioning before for tracking and transferring, mixing is another story.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:shedshine, how do you like your mesa studio preamp?
I?m sure we?ve had this exchange before somewhere, and The thing hardly needs my little recommendation, but It is one of my most favoritest pieces ever. Bought it new coming off a summer gig on an oiltanker. Skipped the cassette portastudio and practice amp stage straight to a Tascam 388 and a Mesa-Boogie studio pre. Friends comment on early recordings..?How did you get your voice to sound like that?? Boogie-pre voice gigantification of course. It?s my tube mic pre, keyboard, drum machine biggifier, Hell, it even sounds great on guitars. Rolled it down airport stairs in Japan, fell out of a rack in an earthquake, survived newbie switching around of tubes, it?s a keeper.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Shedshrine, that Gavotte looks pretty similar to the one I've got, a Jubilate. they're nice little radios, too nice for me to think too hard about hacking mine into an amp...
Village Idiot.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:30 pm

floid wrote:Shedshrine, that Gavotte looks pretty similar to the one I've got, a Jubilate. they're nice little radios, too nice for me to think too hard about hacking mine into an amp...
I cobbled together a little connection cable using an old MIDI cable to rca.
The midi connector will fit onto the reel to reel DIN input.

edit: some pics

Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 pm

shedshrine wrote:I?m sure we?ve had this exchange before somewhere
probably we have! i had one in my teenage metal years, totally perfect for bedroom metal, of which i was the king. i stupidly sold it in my wayward 20s. picked another one up a few years ago, and now it's totally perfect for late night ambient excursions.

i've only used it for guitar and the occasional rhodes or distorted bass, but ima follow your lead and try running a bunch of other stuff through it. what outputs do you use? i've only ever used the recording ones. can you run the effects loop at line level? mine freaks out, so i leave it on instrument level...

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:52 am

Total trial and error. When i first got it I was running the effects send through a Korg A3 rack unit. On the pre, the recording outs have a more finished sound, the mains more blown out, but you can run those outs in turn through something else. Honestly, I just patch stuff in and switch the low/line level back and forth, mess with input gain, or stick other stuff in the chain till something sounds cool.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:48 pm

Not my space, but part of it... i was doing some work on my Hammond. I titled this picture "Vacuum-Tubes"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Izzat connected to the apocryphal "Suck" knob?

But seriously, before alla this digital and even solid-state nonsense, back when we walked in the snow to our gigs, Eureka vacuum cleaners were tube powered, y'know.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:32 pm

vvv wrote:Izzat connected to the apocryphal "Suck" knob?

But seriously, before alla this digital and even solid-state nonsense, back when we walked in the snow to our gigs, Eureka vacuum cleaners were tube powered, y'know.

:twisted:
The Tube vacuums cleaned the space more warmly, and their motors had a more pleasant distortion.

-----

Here's the view out of my studio door today:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Man, and I thought I had it rough what with a bracing 56 degree morning, and having to whip out a library card to scrape of a 16th of an inch of frost off the front windshield. Yeah, it was that bad.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:27 am

shedshrine wrote:Man, and I thought I had it rough what with a bracing 56 degree morning, and having to whip out a library card to scrape of a 16th of an inch of frost off the front windshield. Yeah, it was that bad.
We're having a pretty brutal winter here. Ther predicted high today is 2? with a windchill of -15?.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:37 am

drumsound wrote:
Here's the view out of my studio door today:
Looks very much like the view here in Toronto. Worst winter in my 43 year old memory. I'm running out of places to put the snow.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:19 am

4? F here with about 8" of snow on the ground, wind chill -13.

I can't wait to get home to the bedio and fire up some tube amps and outboard, just for the other kind of warmth! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 am

vvv wrote:4? F here with about 8" of snow on the ground, wind chill -13.

I can't wait to get home to the bedio and fire up some tube amps and outboard, just for the other kind of warmth! :twisted:
I need to put in a basement studio so my pipes don't freeze.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Was going to say that's exactly how I remember it, Tony - but I never saw snow like that in B-N! Crazy...