Pigtronix Keymaster

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Pigtronix Keymaster

Post by Harry » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:57 am

What a great problem solver/creative tool this looks like. for live and studio.
Anyone have one yet? opinions??

http://www.pigtronix.com/products08/keymaster.html

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:54 am

Wow.

This looks great.

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:07 am

That looks awesome!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 pm

This hs been being developed for a long time.
Its awesome.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Must.... have... soon...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

It is a great approach to integrating pedals into a mix chain.
Super smart.
I cant believe that there arent like 9 million of these sold already. it turns EVERY PEDAL into an actual mix tool.
I remember talking with Dave (pigtronix) about this thing years ago. I am so glad it finally exists!!!
I love mine.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Just asked Dave to post in this thread about the keymaster.
We shall see if he comes and answers questions and stuff.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:36 am

Dude.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:58 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:Dude.
+1. This thing looks AWESOME.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Pigtronix
audio school

Uses for the Pigtronix Keymaster

Post by Pigtronix » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 am

Hello all, I am happy to see the Keymaster getting some love here. Only the most knob tweaker pedal happy guitarists are gonna use this thing live, so I am hoping it catches on in the recording world where creative routing is more in vogue and experimentation gets a chance to flourish.

I think of it as a Re:Amp and its mirror image, with 2 FX loops in between.

Aside from the Re:Amp uses also is an excellent solution for Horn players who want to use effects... like Zoitus from the band Lettuce. Joel Hamilton ran his sax through a modular synth to get those sick envelope sounds on the first two tracks of the (very slammin') Lettuce record, RAGE. The Keymaster and an envelope pedal is the solution Zoitus uses for getting close to that sound on stage.

The other arena for the Keymaster will hopefully be players who use Laptop Effects. Put the computer in one Loop, pedals in the other Loop and then out to a guitar amp or whatever. This way, your computer audio interface is not standing in the way of yer analog tone.

It also works well as Amp Switcher / Blender using just use the Sends.

If you have questions or suggestions about the Keymaster, I would love to hear them.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks Dave!

I am super psyched on this thing.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:19 am

I want one too,
I've been waiting for someone to do an all-in-one box like this for a while. I had been thinking of getting the Radial 500 series one, but I believe it's still not out yet and the Pigtronix looks to be way more practical. With an item like this, you want to have it on your pedalboard or tabletop and run long balanced cables over to the patchbay, not have it in your rack with long unbalanced cables going to your effects. At least it works that way for me... my rack tops have no real estate, so I do all my effect tweaking on the big workspace in the middle of the control room.
I'll be buying one as soon as I can afford to.

One question for Dave... the product page says it runs on 18VDC and works with a Voodoo Labs PP2. Is there any reason it wouldn't work with the 18VDC outlet of a Voodoo ISO-5? I can't find any specs on the current draw here or in the manual. Thanks.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:21 am

Here is a totally sick feature also:
the ability to automate it via MIDI to CV.
I figured out that if I use the expression pedal input with a module that is putting out control voltage, I can choose two notes in a midi track in Protools along side the track I would be effecting with a pair of pedals (in this example), and the expression pedal input on the keymaster controls a crossfade knob that allows send loop A to be blended with loop B. Pretty amazing for only bringing in a delay in the chorus or something, or for dub stuff.... Even doing it manually, its an awesome way to blend a couple of pedals or a tape echo and a verb pedal or whatever. I love having a whole new palette to draw on in an analog "plugin" way by having the keymaster on a pair of patchpoints, and then a few short 1/4" cables (as referenced above) sitting near the keymaster. So simple to make that same patch into any number of combinations of whatever pedals you have around. High fi enough to blue box the drums, or use a compressor pedal on drums, or a delay on vocals or guitars.... even with a compressor pedal AND a delay pedal on the same send. Amazing. This thing is deeper than at first glance because of the crossfade knob.

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 am

More uses than a Leatherman!
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

thechrisjohnson
audio school

Using Keymaster for Vocal Effects

Post by thechrisjohnson » Fri May 13, 2011 6:28 am

I've tried a line6 x3 live which was ok but prone to feedback on stage, I even lugged around a full 1950's cabinet Radio to gigs (bout the size of a chest of drawers) and had the sound guy mic it ..lol That was a great stage prop too but got tired of hauling it to gigs. Last show I did use an imac running Logic's Main Stage to Vocal FX and it worked really well. Again a bit too much to carry around. Although I really dug the idea of having my mac on stage with me.

.....So after reading this thread last week plus doing some online research I decided to pick one up a Pigtronix Keymaster and see how it would do with vocal FX. I've been trying to solve this issue for a while!

After running it in practice I'd say I'm really happy with the results.

I'm currently running a vintage Sennheiser MD4(1950's) , Pigtronix Keymaster ReAmp pedal, Danelectro DE-1 Echo, Ibanez TS9dx, Danelectro Danelectro DC-1 Cool Cat, Digitech Digital Delay- all running off the keymaster and into a Mackie mackie 402 vlz3...

I threw up my camera after practice and shot this of me messing around Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obvWVIrs6So

Anyway thanks for the thread advice!