Help me choose a (cheap) interface!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Help me choose a (cheap) interface!

Post by mr.adambeck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Hey there!

I've been working in ProTools 7.3 for years off of a mBox Pro. Usually, when I need something a bit higher of quality than a demo, we go to a local studio for the meat of the tracking, then add overdubs at home on the mBox. I then do the mixing myself. However, I would like something that is capable of at least 8 tracks for inputs, so I could finally go beyong the Glynn Johns technique for drums, and possibly (gasp!) record more than one person at a time. :D

My equipment definitely isn't pro level at this point and I don't have too much to work with - but at this point since the majority of our tracking is done in a pro facility, that hasn't been too much of a hindrance. In terms of pre-amps, I have a Presonus Bluetube DP and an upgraded Golden Age Project Pre73. So I only have pres for three tracks, meaning whatever I get would have to have some pre-amps in it to cover the other tracking. I also just bought a MacBook Pro (13 inch, two USB 2.0 and one Firewire, 4Gb RAM), and am planning on upgrading to ProTools 9.

The other thing is that I've recently been doing a lot with Ableton Live, and am hoping to form a band that incorporates it. If that's the case, I'm going to need an interface that also has more than one option for outputs (because the drummer is going to need a click track), and hopefully something that is somewhat durable/portable for carting around to shows. If this seems unlikely, I may just buy a cheaper interface at some point down the line.

My budget is around $5-600, and to be honest, I'd like to keep things as cheap as possible. I know the standard response on Tape Op is "just save up and buy something better and more expensive" but I'm going to level with you: that probably isn't going to happen. :D

I don't know much about interfaces, so any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Doing a search on Guitar Center's site for Interfaces in my price range, while getting results, doesn't really give me an idea of whats good or not!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi,

Check out some Motu interfaces. FireWire please.

If you get PT 9, it will run with these interfaces too.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:43 pm

From what I'm gathering, unfortunately the two Motu's in my price range are missing specific things that I am looking for.

The MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid seems to lack pre amps on all but two channels, though it has quite a few outputs, which is awesome.

The MOTU 8pre 16x12 FireWire is somewhat of a good possibility, but unfortunately while having 8 pres seems to only have a LR out and a headphone out - which definitely works, but I would really prefer to have a couple more outputs for the Ableton situation that I referenced, as it might be nice to be able to send the sound guy the bassy sounds on one channel, high end synths on another, etc. Even just the option of having two outs for a sound guy, and two for our own PA (my past experiences have shown that in smaller clubs sound guys never turn the keyboards up enough in the monitors) would be good.

Am I understanding these correctly? Is there one you know of that I'm not seeing?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:47 pm

If you're on a PC, don't go MOTU.

I suggest one of the Presonus interfaces, like the Firepod (FP10), or the Firestudio.

They are inexpensive workhorses that sound damn good for the money.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm on a Mac (just got a MacBook Pro) - but I had been looking at the Presonus Firestudio. I guess I'm wondering if those are good quality or not. It sounds like you are pretty happy with them though. What do you use?

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:56 pm

This feels a little noob to ask, but another question I have is this: Is it bad to run one of my own pre-amps through their pre-amps? Because all the interfaces I've seen either have too few pre amps or have pre amps on all 8 ins. I'd like to still be able to use my pre amps, and I'm not sure if this is a "no-no" or not.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:12 pm

mr.adambeck wrote:This feels a little noob to ask, but another question I have is this: Is it bad to run one of my own pre-amps through their pre-amps? Because all the interfaces I've seen either have too few pre amps or have pre amps on all 8 ins. I'd like to still be able to use my pre amps, and I'm not sure if this is a "no-no" or not.
Yes.

You want to match the output of the mic preamp to a line input, whether -10 or +4.

Running a line level output into a mic level input = messy distortion.

Mostly, I have seen the following 3 configurations at your price point :

1.- 8 mic/line preamps inputs

2.- 2 Mic / Line preamp inputs, the rest line in with -10 / +4 switches, some with digital gain controls.

3.- Line inputs. no mic preamps built in.

The second quesiton is whether you will absolutely need 8 or more outputs to mix with.

If yes, then your budget just went up to about 800+

If no, you can try with a Traveler or 828mk2 or mk3. Both used.

No, you may not buy mine.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56.

I still don't know how I did it but I got one for under $600 on eBay several months ago. Keep your eyes open. I see them go for $700 all the time.

Barring that, I also have the Saffire Pro40 and it's brilliant as well. Those are in your price range for sure.

Focusrite is coming out with a handy little Pro Tools plugin early next year:

http://focusrite.com/community/News/pro ... ite_ready_

The Liquid 56 has line-inputs on every pre-amp that you could plug other pre-amps into. It also has two ADAT busses for expansion (hook up two Octopres and you've got 24 Pres ready to go). The Pro40 also has line inputs on the pres but I can't remember if there is a mic/line switch in the software to bypass the pre (I think there is).

EDIT: The Pro40 mic pres automatically switch to line when you plug a TRS cable in

CONNECTIVITY

Analogue Channel Inputs (Inputs 1-8)
? 2 Mic/Line/Inst Combo XLR (Inputs 1 and 2)
? 6 Mic/Line Combo XLR (Inputs 3-8)
? Automatic switching of Mic / Line (e.g. inserting a jack switches from Mic to either Line or Instrument)
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:34 pm

motu 828mkIIs are going pretty cheap on ebay. can find them between $300-$400

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 pm

In my experience, the Presonus stuff sounds better than the MOTU stuff. Just my two cents.

I had three Firepods up until just a month ago when I bought a Yamaha N12 and Steinberg MR816x (I'm using Cubase). I recorded many nationally released and reviewed CDs with them. They do a great job.

I never had a Firestudio, but the reviews are positive and Presonus makes nice stuff.

I ran external preamps into my Firepods all the time. You just have to find the point at which you are neither attenuating nor adding gain at the line level input stage of the interface. For the Firepods, it was 22 clicks on the channel's gain knob.
www.organissimo.org

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 pm

I've apparently had really good luck with my Motu 828 mk II -- its been the most hassle-free and compatible interface I've ever had. Had a couple of PCI card-based systems before and that was a bother. I've not had the MOTU not work with something yet. Doing Sony and Win7 here. Many tracks into Reaper. Whole system cost less than a grand with the soundcard figured in.

enroper
audio school

Post by enroper » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 am

I just picked up an echo audiofire 8 from B&H Photo for $419.
musics & demos and nonesuch :: http://myspace.com/pointatob

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm thinking of buyin the FP10

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FP ... 1368483.gc

It's been recently replaced by the Firestudio:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Fi ... 1167246.gc

Is there any known issues with the older FP10 on a new MacBook (OS 10.6.5)? Especially in regards to PT9 or Ableton Live? Because the FP10 is considerably cheaper, and from what I can tell, the main upgrade of the new Firestudio is the ADAT input, which I don't foresee myself using.

I just always worry that when getting older models of anything, they may become unsupported soon.

mr.adambeck

Post by mr.adambeck » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 pm

Also, what's the difference between the regular, and the project besides the ADAT?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Fi ... 1371793.gc

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:05 am

About the FP10, there is no difference between it and the older models that are actually labeled "Firepod". Presonus had to change the name due to a lawsuit from Apple.

I recently sold my three Firepods due to upgrading (which I mentioned) and the fellow that bought them not only loves them but told me that on a Mac you don't even need to load the drivers. You just plug and go.

The difference between the Project Firestudio and the more expensive one is that you can daisy-chain the more expensive ones for more inputs. I don't think you can daisy-chain the cheaper one. But I could be wrong.

You can daisy-chain the FP10 and Firepods, up to three, for 24 analog inputs / outputs.
www.organissimo.org