guitar amp loudspeaker recommendations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

guitar amp loudspeaker recommendations

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:05 pm

it'd be a custom open back cab made from non-ply (solid) poplar..the wood seems to have a lowish frequency resonance naturally..at least as a big long plank as it exists now..the amp it's housing will be a 5w harp amp..a kalamazoo II..the cab will house the original CTS alnico 10" on the bottom and an additional "better/other" speaker on top..the speakers will run either /or not both at the same time via a switch..

output XFRMR is 4-5k on the input and 8ohm on the output so the spec of the speaker would be 10" and 8 Ohm..

so basically I'm looking for something that would compliment the old school CTS 10" alnico and offer a different "flavour" as an option..

so maybe forget all the cabinet stuff because that's all not really meaningful for all intents and purposes here as it's probably impossible to know how it would impact the sound..

so what's a complimentary 10" 8 Ohm loudspeaker that would give me another "colour" that's awesome?..and I'm leaning toward more "hi-fi" more "phat" and more "detailed" in what will make me happy with this..something $50-$100 new hopefully..

any thoughts?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:09 pm

http://wgs4.com/content/vet10

I put one of these in my Vox Valvetronix amp and it turned it into a new amp. The texture and tone it gave was pretty amazing. It turn the EQ from barely usable to crank it as much as you want and it still sounds great! It made the distortions go from fizzy and harsh to musical and 3D. I can change the wattage on the Vox amp and it's set to 20watts which is what the WGS Vetern is, so I may or may not sound has cool as it does with my amp.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:39 pm

For my taste, I haven't tried a nicer-sounding 10" speaker than the Weber 10A125

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:10 am

thanks for the reccos!

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:26 am

I swapped out the stock Celestion 70/80 speaker in my Laney VC 30 with a Warehouse speaker and it has made a huge difference... the original had a spikey-ness in the high end that drove me crazy... I had to roll off the highs on the amp to get it to sound good. Once I changed out the speaker, I can use the treble knob! It made everything much more balanced. Best speaker I have bought for so little money.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:34 pm

that's a very common observation when replacing a poor speaker with a speaker of at least moderate quality. From that point, you can go up up and up, past a certain point reaching diminishing returns.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 pm

i would recommend a new speaker that is just as efficient as your existing - speakers vary a great deal in efficiency (loudness) and a mismatch would be troublesome for me.
0x