Stereo Mic Bar for XY and/or Spaced Pair?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Stereo Mic Bar for XY and/or Spaced Pair?

Post by Rolsen » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

I have some, but very limited experience recording a drumkit, and am thinking I'll likely be trying either an xy or a spaced pair overhead setup using AT Pro 37's. I can imagine the benefit of having a 'stereo mic bar' that I've seen online, so that, when using an xy setup, I would only have to futz with 1 boom stand. Is this a good idea? Any model that works better than others? I see that some of the bars are much smaller than others, and I would think that it wouldn't work to well for a spaced pair, but what do I know?

Thoughts?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 pm

The old stand-by: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM235/1

Worth trying an ORTF configuration with your overheads, btw. More natural than X/Y, in my opinion.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah, what he said. And you don't use stereo bars for spaced pair. Usually on a drum kit a spaced pair is anywhere between 3 and 10 feet apart depending on what you're trying to accomplish.

It's really fun when you start experimenting with different stereo techniques they all image different and both x/y and ortf are easier to do without phase problems than a spaced pair is.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 am

whatever you do, DON'T GET THE ONSTAGE STANDS STEREO BAR.. I wrestled with that thing for months, with duct tape, and plumbers tape just to get it to work..

POINTLESS!.

I have a K&M now, which seems better, but unfortunately its used with one of onstage stands HORRRRID large boom stands...

UHGGGGG>.

someday I'll have a grand to invest in nice stands.....

edit.

I've been liking the ORTF set up for OH's using my MC/MK-012's. Was mostly X/Y forever, but for some reason, switched to ORTF one day and liked it....

Now that i'm in a better sounding room.. I should try spaced pair again... in the last space, that was not an option.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:50 am

I have the AEA Protractor Stereo Bar, I like it a lot but to be honest I don't do too much X/Y on anything...but it comes in handy!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:37 am

trodden wrote:I have a K&M now, which seems better, but unfortunately its used with one of onstage stands HORRRRID large boom stands...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC125/

Worth it's weight in gold. I need another one. You may be able to talk Sweetwater down in price if you have a relationship with them. I paid much less than what they are asking on the site from them just by wheeling and dealing.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:04 am

b3groover wrote:
trodden wrote:I have a K&M now, which seems better, but unfortunately its used with one of onstage stands HORRRRID large boom stands...
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MC125/

Worth it's weight in gold. I need another one. You may be able to talk Sweetwater down in price if you have a relationship with them. I paid much less than what they are asking on the site from them just by wheeling and dealing.
yeah? for some reason I always lumped Ultimate into the same shit sandwich as on stage stands. I'll have to check it out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 pm

b3groover wrote:The old stand-by: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KM235/1

Worth trying an ORTF configuration with your overheads, btw. More natural than X/Y, in my opinion.
I totally agree with this post.

I actually like the big Onstage stands, and thier little telescoping angling stand adaptors.

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:02 pm

A versatile rig can be had by buying three of the mike bar adapters from AEA, including one stand adapter. Not cheap at about $50 each, but they are super quality and then you can make all the bars you want from (cheap) 1/4" by 1" aluminum stock and drill holes as needed.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:13 am

i do an xy setup with a bar, and i have a special old atlas boom stand i took the base off of, and put it in to an older (late 90s) tama cymbal stand base. works great, and once i ever decide to upgrade the hardware on my kit i'll have two. its not quite as tall as the large mic stand mentioned in this post. kindof a mid point between that, and a regular boom. gets plenty tall for my needs, and is plenty sturdy. you can find those bases all over the place for dirt cheap too.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 am

I have the K&M stereo bar and it works well.

I've been feeling spaced pair lately, but ORTF I like better than XY..

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 am

Well, the K & M it is then! Just ordered it. Seems like, on this and other forums, folks tend to prefer ORTF over XY for drums. Thanks again!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:51 am

ORTF fan here for drum kits. 16" above drummers head pointing down into the kit. Entire kit comes out balanced including cymbals. Mics are 7 1/2" apart. Angle them by ear, pointing them downward toward the kit. Panned out pretty far but not "hard." Great consistent results here.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:22 pm

For me XY just doesn't give enough stereo width when panning. ORTF gives you more than XY and spaced pair gives even more. I think I even like a mono overhead more than XY. I just don't see much point to XY overheads anymore....