Quality stereo pan / volume pedal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

antilog
george martin

Quality stereo pan / volume pedal

Post by antilog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:35 pm

I am using a stereo pan / volume pedal - Ernie Ball 6165, brand new. The volume curve is not linear (it suddenly gets loud with minimal pedal depression, then takes much more depression to get a bit more louder), and the pot is scratchy.

Seems like a simple pedal, know of any manufacturers who built a better stereo pan volume pedal?
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Budget is under $200 - Gig FX Chopper is not an option. Just need a simple, quiet stereo pan volume pedal.

Using it in various guitar based applications.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Those are pretty easy to mod. The ones I have owned were simple to work on, even the leads are attached with crimped spade lug type connectors instead of being soldered on. Why not just swap out the pot for a better one?
Also, most that I have seen have a 2nd pot that you can use to adjust the volume curve.
But before all that I would try sprayin some caiglube or deoxit in there.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Yay more gear to fix.... Add it to the shelf...

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:21 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:Those are pretty easy to mod. The ones I have owned were simple to work on, even the leads are attached with crimped spade lug type connectors instead of being soldered on. Why not just swap out the pot for a better one?
Also, most that I have seen have a 2nd pot that you can use to adjust the volume curve.
But before all that I would try sprayin some caiglube or deoxit in there.
Sorry, thanks for the info, it's helpful...

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

I just got a 2nd 6165 to use for stereo panning - stereo in, stereo out, "pan" between the 2 channels. I'm finding that
- at 100% depressed, it lets through 100% of signal A and 0% of signal B
- at 0% depressed, it lets through a bit of signal A and most of signal B
So it doesn't do what it's supposed, sounds like it was sloppily calibrated in the factory.

These pedals get great reviews from guitarists, but both pedals I got are not quality, and they are not inexpensive for the quality.

I just need a simple stereo pan volume pedal. I don't care if it's string and pulleys, opto, whatever. I just need it to do it functions exactly and without noise.

I did some googling, and found some intense volume pedals with more features than I need, for over $200. Any other options? Too busy to hack new gear.